10,000+ Miles Driving a Cybertruck – Things learned: range, great sound and full love/hate list after 10k miles

chlpat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Patent Attorney
Country flag
It's not the weight, it's the aero.

Really need to hammer this in.

-Crissa
Actually, it's both. The two forces acting to slow a car or CT down are air resistance and friction.

Weight affects the friction between the road and the tires, and is proportional to the weight (the force exerted by gravity, which is proportional to the mass and the acceleration due to gravity Fg=m x a).

Tire rolling friction Fr slows down the vehicle.

Not an easy thing to calculate, but it is an effect.

BTW, if there was no tire friction, the vehicle could not move forward or stop either!

From: https://www.school-for-champions.com/science/friction_rolling_tires.htm
---------------------
Fr = μrW
where:
  • Fr is the resistive force of rolling friction
  • μr is the coefficient of rolling friction for the two surfaces (Greek letter "mu" sub R)
  • W is the weight of the wheel plus the weight of the automobile
  • μrW is μr times W

When an automobile coasts along the road, the resistive force of rolling friction on tires slows down the motion. The rolling friction of the tire is slightly affected by the static friction of the rubber on the pavement and the adhesion effect of the rubber. The major contribution to the rolling friction is the deformation of the tire while rolling.

The coefficient of friction for the automobile tire can be determined experimentally, but it only applies to the specific configuration.
--------------------
The three main forces that act on a moving vehicle are: thrust that moves it forward, and lift, drag and weight which act opposite the thrust to slow a vehicle down.

Aerodynamics has an effect.
At high speeds is very significant.
But at slow speeds it is insignificant and friction dominates.

The above is a simplification.
It gets complicated because tires heat up and their coefficient of friction changes becoming larger.
The air resistance depends on many factors, mostly the shape of the vehicle.
Compare a big boxy truck to something like the Aptera, a streamlined vehicle much like an airplane in shape.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Silverado WT4 estimated to have a 200 kWh to 215 kWh battery pack.
Should tip the scales at, gulp, 8,500 pounds.
The "ultium" pack weighs nearly 3,000 pounds.

How long will that take to charge?
The more that I look at the specs on the Silverado, the more I compare it to the Hummer EV. Biggest difference is that the Silverado looks much better aerodynamically than the Hummer EV.

With
Silverado WT4 estimated to have a 200 kWh to 215 kWh battery pack.
Should tip the scales at, gulp, 8,500 pounds.
The "ultium" pack weighs nearly 3,000 pounds.

How long will that take to charge?
Ask the Hummer EV folks. It seems as if it might be the same battery.

chlpat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Patent Attorney
Country flag
After reading this post about the performance of the CT, the noise, the leaky bed compartment, etc., I can't see buying one at the entry level price of $60k.

I got my offer from Tesla yesterday to place an order ($250 fee for the privilege) for delivery sometime in 2025.

I put my Tesla CT order in on 11-22-2019, so I was about 114,746th in line if I calculated correctly.
I imagine, like with the Ford Lightning reservations, there have been a lot of thanks but no thanks with the CT. With Ford it was over 80% drop-out rate some say - well, they increased the price by 40% from the announced price for the entry level model, and those were scarce.

I had already given up waiting for the CT and bought a 2023 Ford Lightning Pro, which rides like a dream (smooth and quiet).

I have the standard range Ford Lightning battery (98kWh), so assuming it gets the same about 1.67mi/kWh (the CT number from the post = 1/.599), that would be a range of 164 miles for the 98kWh Ford Lightning SR battery.

The EPA submission for the CT apparently shows a 122.4kWh battery pack for the two released models with 320 and 340 mile ranges, but with that performance, it would only get 204 miles range.

I bought my 2023 Lightning with end of the year sales incentives by the dealer of $4,000 and the $7500 tax credit up front in early Jan 2024. It had a $56k MSRP (had about $4k in options).

If I had waited another week or two, the dealer discount would have been even higher.

I don't have a need for long distance driving, and don't have many miles to give an assessment of Lightning's range yet.

Of course, it isn't bullet-proof and doesn't look like it came from a Mad Max movie, but the Lightning works for me, so far so good with 2 weeks of ownership.

Gundo

First Name
Gundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C2S
Country flag
@chlpat Wait a minute - are you saying you could place an order for a non-Foundation Series configuration for delivery in 2025? If so, that's the first I've seen - does this mean they've burned through Foundation Series alotment?

Last edited:

jookyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24CTAWD 17MXP100D 23MX
Country flag
I put my Tesla CT order in on 11-22-2019, so I was about 114,746th in line if I calculated correctly.
Very specific (read: not possible), but take your reservation number remove the RN and subtract it from 112744100, then multiply that by .95 and should be a good approximation.

Pretty sure there are no non-FS orders and they are likely not promising 2024 anymore as papa Elon said 2024 is nearly "sold out"

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yes GM chose to lose money on each truck, Tesla chose not to.
I believe that I've heard that Tesla is losing about $17k on every truck right now, but in about a year they should break even and then start making money in 18 months.

Faringot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3P
Country flag
BayouCityBob said:
Is there a link to the original review?
Came from a private group and owner had privacy concerns due to employment but shared some info that was ok for us to share. The pics suck, they are from a facetime vid and taken/cropped with permission. They are planning on publishing a full HD video on this but have 20+ hours of raw footage to edit, I will post a link once they make it public.
Congrats @Gigahorse! This is has gone viral across major media outlets worldwide. I share the same concern about poor range along with everyone else so I'm holding off on my order. When is the video coming out....did I miss it?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Actually, it's both. The two forces acting to slow a car or CT down are air resistance and friction.
Actually, eight is irrelevant because of EVs' deep well of torque and regen. More weight means you can regen more often.

Weight really only affects range in stop and go traffic. Not on the highway. On the highway, weight is a wash. Once you're moving, you're moving.

-Crissa