Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt 2015
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So effectively under 200 miles. Would you buy an ICE f150 with a 7 gallon tank?
Yes, but at least you would have lots of room outside the cab for gas jerry cans.
Sponsored

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
I don't think the core truck crowd will settle for 230mi range, especially considering its likely never going to see this range real-world. The chatter in the Lightning FB groups and forums is always bad, but the response over there to this way worse than usual.
This. Why do we suppose all ICE trucks have fuel tanks between 26-36 gallons… Truck people drive more, idle more, tow, haul etc. Trucks are your office, your lunchroom, and sometimes your bedroom. Capacity/range are MASSIVE considerations to us, most of flyover country is not well equipped with fast charging stations and won’t be for years to come. 300 miles is the MINIMUM, likely for 70%+ of end user truck buyers.
I can see the cheap pro version doing very well for fleet use however, but I can’t see how there going to move F150 numbers of 80k lariat trucks…

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
EV charging isn't like gas/diesel. It's typically done where the vehicle is stored or used.

And would you want that bigger gas tank if it took up half your bed?

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So effectively under 200 miles. Would you buy an ICE f150 with a 7 gallon tank?
If it's a work-truck and all you drive is to and from work-sites in a 50 mile radius, it's fantastic.

That is a niche, but a pretty big one.

It's not appealing as a recreational vehicle. No trips to the lake unless the lake is close. Camping trips are pretty limited too.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
EV charging isn't like gas/diesel. It's typically done where the vehicle is stored or used.

And would you want that bigger gas tank if it took up half your bed?

-Crissa
I see 2 use cases where the <300 mile range is a deal breaker:

1. People who tow/haul a bunch with their truck for work or fun. A 300 mile range will go way down for those in this group and I totally understand where they would not want to be at a job site, lake, mountains, etc. with no good way to charge back up.

2. People who use their truck as a daily driver for their office jobs, kid hauling, etc. 95% of their drives would be fine just charging at home, but the 5% of the time when you want to use it to go on a road trip could be considered a deal breaker.

I fall into category #2, and < 300 range would totally be a deal breaker because I want to be able to use my truck 100% of the time especially considering the prices of trucks. That would mean that our annual 300 mile holiday pilgrimage to the inlaws would involve a stop at a charger going down there and on the way back. It would make our planned road trip from TX to Yellowstone this summer really inconvenient. Same goes when the kids graduate high school in a few years and start college/their next chapter in life. I plan to visit them often regardless of it being in range of my EV truck.

Until you see increased ranges and better charging options on the road, I think you are going to see resistance from the truck crowd to switch to EV.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Don't think it's official. Ford, unlike Tesla, is hyperactive in e-mailing their customers with updates.

And I have not had one lately this year.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
I see 2 use cases where the <300 mile range is a deal breaker:

1. People who tow/haul a bunch with their truck for work or fun. A 300 mile range will go way down for those in this group and I totally understand where they would not want to be at a job site, lake, mountains, etc. with no good way to charge back up.

2. People who use their truck as a daily driver for their office jobs, kid hauling, etc. 95% of their drives would be fine just charging at home, but the 5% of the time when you want to use it to go on a road trip could be considered a deal breaker.

I fall into category #2, and < 300 range would totally be a deal breaker because I want to be able to use my truck 100% of the time especially considering the prices of trucks. That would mean that our annual 300 mile holiday pilgrimage to the inlaws would involve a stop at a charger going down there and on the way back. It would make our planned road trip from TX to Yellowstone this summer really inconvenient. Same goes when the kids graduate high school in a few years and start college/their next chapter in life. I plan to visit them often regardless of it being in range of my EV truck.

Until you see increased ranges and better charging options on the road, I think you are going to see resistance from the truck crowd to switch to EV.
I'm currently getting some real world cold weather mileage here in 10° Michigan with my 2021 Bolt. I'm a rebel and haven't gotten the 80% patch yet so I'm charging to 100% on cold days. I have around...maybe 600lbs of equipment ( most of that is a few bags of stone) and my 200 lb self. I'm getting around 2.7mi/kw with the heat off but seat warmers on right now if I'm sticking to rural highways at 55mph.

A 230mi variant at zero payload, in the cold, is probably going to net around 190mi. Maybe closer to 160 with 1,000 lb payload.

Starting the day fully charged or not, some jobs are over a hundred miles away. They only happen a few times a year but they do happen. My brother is a commercial HVAC guy and his jobs tend to be even further out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is super important.

In an ICE vehicle, a bigger tank means fewer stops at the gas station.

In an EV, a bigger battery means fewer stops on a road trip... but it's only relevant on road trips.

If you road trip a bunch, battery size is far more important. If you are a townie, it's not as important.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
i would be using my F-150 Lightning or Cybertruck for camping trips. We are not into accumulating mileage but wonderful experience..

Mileage between campsite or stops is about 150, so 300 miles is plenty enough for us. But we'll see when there's a truck camper on it (we will be selling the RV trailer with our plans to go off the beaten path and do frequent stops whenever we fell like it).

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
My daily driver Jeep gets 240 miles to a tank if I'm lucky. 90% of our road trips are to NYC, upstate NY, Nantucket, and Raleigh NC. I live just outside of the DC beltway.

Left to my own I'm an "everybody shut up there ain't-no stopping... ever." kind of roadtrip driver.

But, with the family I stop for at least 20 minutes every 3 hours. 280-300 miles in range is an improvement for me. For us, driving more than 12-13 hours is beyond our driving comfort range anyway.
Sponsored