Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Cyber Truck
Occupation
Research
Country flag
Yes we need both.... That much glass... rock chips and cracks are a thing. Boat..... yup need that too... could you imagine dealing with flooding and having a vehicle that could pass safely through high water. I hope these items make it to production.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yes we need both.... That much glass... rock chips and cracks are a thing. Boat..... yup need that too... could you imagine dealing with flooding and having a vehicle that could pass safely through high water. I hope these items make it to production.
Being difficult to rock chips is a long ways from being bullet proof.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Correct. (TLDR - check out the blue text)
Physics dictates some things:
Pulling a 14,000# trailer with a frontal area of 60^2 feet 100 miles with 1 mile of positive elevation change at 75 mph and assuming the CT weighs 6,000# and has 500# of occupants and a drag coefficient of a slippery 0.30 will take 170.5 KwH. Slowing down to 65 mph will mean it will take 145.8 KwH.

You won't be towing a heavy trailer very far between charges, unfortunately.

Good news? If you aren't towing uphill,
Going 75 mph:
You'd consume 170.5 KwH minus the 40.8 KwH gravity penalty which means it would take 129.7 KwH at 75 mph to pull that trailer 100 miles with no elevation change and you could go 154 miles on a full battery.

Going 65 mph:
You'd consume 145.8 KwH minus the 40.8 KwH gravity penalty which means it would take 105 KwH at 60 mph to pull that trailer 100 miles with no elevation change and you could go 190 miles on a full battery.

There. I mathed it for everyone.

there were a couple of efficiency WAGs in the calculations (according to Engineering Explained) but they looked right on target. Aero and rolling resistance are the two main ones.

Obviously, without a 14,000# trailer, it's aero, rolling resistance, and gravity penalty, you get 500 miles of range. So, there's a sliding "Miles per full battery" that will run between 500 miles and 190 miles at 65mph. Since you shouldn't ever pull MORE than the 14,000# and will NEVER pull less than zero pounds, your range will be always fall between those 2 numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hridge2020

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
😊Airless tire will shred apart under a heavy load.

• Tesla Cybertruck 2023 Cybertruck Possible New upgrades o-tech-dept-car-and-driver-photo-455495-s-original
    Tech Dept.: The Latest on the Airless Tire
The Uptis concept tires have a maximum speed of 130 miles per hour and a max load of 1102 pounds. Different versions with different specs and driving characteristics will be possible, Roget said. That's the kind of work Michelin will do with GM to figure out the right structure and number of spokes, which type of rubber to put on the outside, and how to embed the fiberglass in the tire depending on the vehicle application. No matter how the Uptis ends up, it will be more stable than other tires, he said.

"Whatever the temperature, the profile of the tire will be exactly the same," Kiefer said. "So it's a very stable solution. No pressure check, no pressure adjustment."

Theoretically, the tread life for the Uptis is the same as a standard tire, Roget said, but in the real world it will be longer because drivers who use it will not be driving around on improperly inflated tires. "You always have the right pressure, so the tire will have a longer life," he said.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Correct.
Physics dictates some things:
Pulling a 14,000# trailer with a frontal area of 60^2 feet 100 miles with 1 mile of elevation change at 75 mph and assuming the CT weighs 6,000# and has 500# of occupants and a drag coefficient of a slippery 0.30 will take 170.5 KwH. Slowing down to 65 mph will mean it will take 145.8 KwH.

You won't be towing a heavy trailer very far between charges, unfortunately.
The cool thing is that the software will predict the range based on these types of factors rigth? So at least we will be able to plan correctly. I think the world of aerodynamic lightweight trailers will start booming again. It's interesting that Airstream with its aviation roots was making lightweight aerodynamic trailers in the 50s that attached to absolute gas guzzlers. I hope tesla does come out with some crazy cool lightweight trailers and the 5000lb - 7000lb range becomes the norm.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
  • o-tech-dept-car-and-driver-photo-455495-s-original.jpg
The Uptis concept tires have a maximum speed of 130 miles per hour and a max load of 1102 pounds. Different versions with different specs and driving characteristics will be possible, Roget said. That's the kind of work Michelin will do with GM to figure out the right structure and number of spokes, which type of rubber to put on the outside, and how to embed the fiberglass in the tire depending on the vehicle application. No matter how the Uptis ends up, it will be more stable than other tires, he said.

"Whatever the temperature, the profile of the tire will be exactly the same," Kiefer said. "So it's a very stable solution. No pressure check, no pressure adjustment."

Theoretically, the tread life for the Uptis is the same as a standard tire, Roget said, but in the real world it will be longer because drivers who use it will not be driving around on improperly inflated tires. "You always have the right pressure, so the tire will have a longer life," he said.
I see they have addressed the increased rolling resistance with minimal tread pattern, probably they need less pattern since deformation means more contact.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An airless flat spare might be interesting. Don’t see running them routinely yet unless there is some miracle new tire out there.

I haven’t seen any images of a heavy duty run flat tire for heavy trucks like the Cybertruck. I doubt they will happen.

Going riding with some friends we were going up a dirt road and he’d just come down from a road trip. He had is tires inflated to 60 psi for the trip (Well within specs) for efficiency and a heavier load. But we were going up a gravel road so he deflated them down to 35 or 40 psi so it didn’t ride like hell. This wasn’t off-roading, there were 6 of us riding on a bench in the bed, it was just a drop off, but at 60 psi it would have been horrible.

This kind of adjustment is much more common on off-road vehicles and vehicles which drive with variable loads—often trucks. I don’t think there is a great compromise between road performance and compliance/ ride quality on bumpier roads. If you do genuine off-roading which the Cybertruck is designed for, the air pressure range will be even greater. Very possibly as low as 20 psi and as high as 50-60 psi. Dedicated off readers will get even lower pressure, but I’m just thinking of where we’d take a stock Cybertruck.

If you off road much at all, it’s likely you’d want a proper full sized spare. But for highway use, an airless tire might work. Only really interesting if it’s compact and can tuck away.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Obviously, without a 14,000# trailer, it's aero, rolling resistance, and gravity penalty, you get 500 miles of range. So, there's a sliding "Miles per full battery" that will run between 500 miles and 190 miles at 65mph. Since you shouldn't ever pull MORE than the 14,000# and will NEVER pull less than zero pounds, your range will be always fall between those 2 numbers.
Thanks, In my case and I think a few others, we would not be towing anywhere near capacity. I think a few will be happy to cruise a tad slower when towing.

If you can please, driving a 500 Mile range CT with 14,000 pound towing capacity, what is the range for:
- 7000 pound RV
- 55 MPH
- Even terrain

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • o-tech-dept-car-and-driver-photo-455495-s-original.jpg

😊 Although this airless tire will be a miracle. This airless tire will be a very rough ride, very expensive investment , a very heavy unsprung weight, or a very bad tire that last too long for the tire business to keep on selling tires. There is a reason why the economy is strong. It’s because things don’t last a very time.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, In my case and I think a few others, we would not be towing anywhere near capacity. I think a few will be happy to cruise a tad slower when towing.

If you can please, driving a 500 Mile range CT with 14,000 pound towing capacity, what is the range for:
- 7000 pound RV
- 55 MPH
- Even terrain
😊 Will be very interesting to see how much more energy it will take to pull an airless tire that has a higher level of drag.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

- 7000 pound RV
- 55 MPH
- Even terrain
Sure.

The Aero is really the only variable that changes here for the weight when towing flat.

Aero = 1/2 (0.002377) (80.667)^2 (0.4) (40) = 123.74 Ft Pounds, or (123.74)(0.001989) = 24.61 KwH
That's (0.5) x (coefficient of air times velocity in feet squared) x (drag coefficient) x (surface area of entire system) ---- surface area is if you looked at the CT and trailer head on and figured the size hole it would punch through a wall as it drove through...

Rolling resistance =Total weight x 0.015 = 13,500(0.015)(0.001989) = 40.27 KwH
That is (weight) x (coefficient of rolling resistance of a tire on pavement)

Gravity: 0 (only comes into effect when traveling UP HILL on average)
Add those three forces together and you get 64.88 KwH to take a 7,000 pound trailer 100 miles.

You'd be able to drive 324 miles with that 7,000 pound trailer and 500 pounds of occupants if you maintain 55 mph and we assume a 200 KwH battery.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Your a star

If a tad of compromise and common sense is the last resort, pulling an RV across the country is easily done without any issues or constraints.

The future is here.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Your a star

If a tad of compromise and common sense is the last resort, pulling an RV across the country is easily done without any issues or constraints.

The future is here.
The calculation assumes a fairly small frontal area, similar to a pop top camper.

But if you want to play with numbers you can just use this online calculator and fill out the details. You can change it to metric, and then just read off the Watt calculation for each speed, and divide the total battery pack size by it to get hours of range at that speed.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php