Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure you’ve heard or not, but there is another big shutdown in China due COVID (I don’t recall if I mentioned it, apologize if it’s a dupe).

Another reason to have your supply chain localized.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla gets more batteries from Japan than China.

Most batteries for US EVs next year will be made in the US, not in China.

It is baffling, because it makes no sense. Does he think we'll keep making oil at the rate we are indefinitely?

-Crissa

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's some interesting reading on the subject of China and EV batteries.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...has-monopolised-the-electric-vehicle-industry
That article is full of gibberish. It makes claims based upon one-month sales changes, and next year Tesla's US output will catch back up to their China output. And EVs in China aren't EVs in the US.

Only Fremont makes S and X, each of which cost 2-4 times was the cars coming out of Shanghai do. Sheesh. And Fremont made cars at the rate of 40K/month with holidays while Shanghai made 70k/month without. Geez.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Tesla gets more batteries from Japan than China.

Most batteries for EVs are made in the US, not in China.

It is baffling, because it makes no sense. Does he think we'll keep making oil at the rate we are indefinitely?

-Crissa
Isn't Manchin from a coal state? And like a ton of coal gets shipped to China. Not that the coal issue is going to last forever though cause China is moving to renewables much faster than we are. But short term, it seems like we could embargo coal exports to China if they stop selling us rare earth materials or other battery chemistry components. But if China gets to using primarily renewables before we get our battery supplies in place, there might be an issue.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
That article is full of gibberish. It makes claims based upon one-month sales changes, and next year Tesla's US output will catch back up to their China output. And EVs in China aren't EVs in the US.

Only Fremont makes S and X, each of which cost 2-4 times was the cars coming out of Shanghai do. Sheesh. And Fremont made cars at the rate of 40K/month with holidays while Shanghai made 70k/month without. Geez.

-Crissa
I don't want to argue with you, Crissa. My point originally was that Manchin's remark about oil has some validity. He's equating to the fact that the US doesn't want to ever be put in a position where other countries have us by the balls. In 1974, it was OPEC and oil. At this time we are battery constraint for EV's already, and China has been playing their cards very well.
For sure, the US is late in the game, and we need to make some good, solid moves. Because clearly people want more EV's than we can produce already. And battery production is SUPER important.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m either going to buy a new Cybertruck or a new hybrid 2023 Toyota van, whichever comes first after June, 2023. I can’t wait any longer, because my 23 year old Toyota van is falling apart. Fortunately, I can do my own repairs in the meantime. Even though, it’s still going to be cheaper to replace it in the long run.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't want to argue with you, Crissa. My point originally was that Manchin's remark about oil has some validity. He's equating to the fact that the US doesn't want to ever be put in a position where other countries have us by the balls. In 1974, it was OPEC and oil. At this time we are battery constraint for EV's already, and China has been playing their cards very well.
For sure, the US is late in the game, and we need to make some good, solid moves. Because clearly people want more EV's than we can produce already. And battery production is SUPER important.
Hate to break it to you, but China has us by the balls.

There is nothing magical about cars, so many other technologies are dominated by Chinese manufacturing it would be nearly impossible to boycott China the way we’ve boycotted Russia.

If we’re going to start pushing down this path, we have a lot of other sectors with no Tesla making 90% US products to fall back on.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

Youaregoldone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Cybertruck
Country flag
Test Run
CT needs lots and lots of LFP 4680 battery cells. Tesla's test run on in-house LFP 4680 battery cells. was only Million and even if they did get their expected 100 Million Tesla would still need Billions of battery cells.
LFP
Tesla do not have LFP 4680 battery cells for the Y or CT. Y LFP battery cells are first then comes CT LFP battery cells. Tesla LFP in-house test run showed Tesla needs Panasonic to provide those Billions of LFP battery cells it needs to make Tesla EVs. Tesla Panasonic is only in the planning stage for a LFP 4680 battery cell factory and the cost of a new factory will be added to the cost of all EV batteries. FYI that new Panasonic factory when built will not start LFP 4680 battery cell production until late 2025.
C$ Delivery
My Guess
CT Available date 2026
Price for the first few CT pre orders:
$95,000 for a single
$110,000 for a dual
and
Tri or Quad motor CT similar to the price of a Plaid S

Costs & Delivery Date
Mainly due to no or very little Tesla in-house built LFP 4680 cells forces Tesla to buy all its cells from a planed Panasonic LFP 4680 cell factory and adding the costs of that new factory to those 4680 cells.

There's a rumor Panasonic will build a large new battery factory in the US (cleantechnica.com)
This is the most pessimistic projection on everything...I seriously hope you are so wrong.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you don't want to be caught by imported resources...

...Why would you ever choose to slow down the adoption of a technology that's not literally setting those resources on fire?

I don't think there's anything to understand in Manchin's comments. Electric vehicles are less dependent upon foreign resources, not more.

Even today, without all the battery factories built that are under works, we still build most of the EV batteries in the US. EV batteries are heavy and no one wants to ship them across the world. And we're one of the few countries with reserves of all the materials needed to make batteries. Russia and China are the others.

Just because China makes most of the EV batteries today doesn't mean they make (or produce the minerals for) most of our batteries, or will in the future.

-Crissa

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Manchin does know the batteries are rechargeable right? We don't throw them away and have to get new ones when they die. His comparison between oil and battery seems to imply the battery is the fuel.

nomadmusk

First Name
Droxx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Civic to Cybertruck
Occupation
2nd infantry of Tesla's Quality Division
Country flag
Get in touch with Tesla. Ask for dimensions for its pickup bed. OK beg! Sign away your left nut to NDA. Prototype camper/van configurations. You have time to do cardboard mockups. Use strings to define 3D space and see how CT is going to accommodate a bed, kitchen and toys. Even if they hand you Cybertruck 2019, its good enough to get mocking.
tl;dr
WAR is lights out. No one is going anywhere for the next year. If you haven’t already, you’ll be 12 mos. ahead on getting accessories, kit and essentials worked out by this time next year. You’ll know tailgate down or up version van camper. You’ll have your style dialed-in minimalist car camper or full-on caravaner with induction cook plate.

By 2024 you can have a grand trip scouted, mapped and chargers picked out. Big stops(Girlfriend’s hse, Grand Canyon, Vegas) you’ll preview those reservation processes. In between.

If it were I? I’d rent a van or pickup camper winter 2022 to trial run enjoying wild camping in the Sonoran desert, Anza-Borrego areas as my shakedown cruise. I‘d stay Aug’22 – Feb’23 hitting SedonaAZ for a month at least in Aug. Check AustinTX out for the FOB factory delivery. Vegas Valley of Fire is a fav. Anza-Borrego cools down by Oct. That’ll dial-in whether you like camper or van or hotel. Vegas hotels are so nice after being on the road.

Sounds exciting what you have planned for CT on the road.
I'm doing my best to keep a lid on my expectations, career wise life didn't work out, I'm happy just traveling around for a while with a dog while my finances snowball. Doing that in a vehicle that will never rust and will become my dream overlanding rig if I decide to live normally is all the better. If I was a few years younger, I woulda stayed with Tesla for sure. But I've been in hard labor for 7 years now and that's 2 pass when I said injuries become inevitable, my knee and wrists are at high risk at this point. I've actually been living in my Honda Civic in the company parking lot for over a year now to save all I can, and it's paid off.

Normally, truck bed living with a topper is the way people go, but that's in a conventional ice pickup. With EVs 'always being on' the cabin space becomes much more viable (and is roomier anyway), also it would defeat the purpose of the solar vault which will be a game changer for vanlife. Suck out all the seats, throw in a sliding desk, add a stowable screen and this, and you have a dope mobile office. As a gamer, my plan is to have a space that is expandable into the outdoors, but is perfectly at home in the city should I be visiting someone.

Things like "will there be a mid-gate?" are what's holding up my 3D models, which are designed for not having one. Where to actually put my bed is probably the only thing I haven't fully decided on, because of it. Personally, I'm not that attached to the mid-gate, I'd prefer a larger motorized window.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I dont know about you guys but in 2021 i had a countdown here in my office and it makes the anticipation that much more.
going to add it here and update it every month. Also this makes time feel like its flying by. this countdown is assuming release in january 2023 but things can change. either way COUNTDOWN!
along with the countdown i will also add the most current pricing for the truck. since we do not have an update we will be going with unveil pricing and updating as the year goes on! feel free to chime in

CT JAN 2023 COUNTDOWN: 9 MONTHS

JANUARY
FEBRUARY
MARCH

APRIL
MAY
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
SEPTEMBER
OCTOBER
NOVEMBER
DECEMBER

JANUARY CYBERTRUCK ESTIMATION RELEASE

Pricing as of January 2022:

QUAD MOTOR: NO PRICE YET
TRIMOTOR: $69,900
DUALMOTOR: $49,900
SINGLE: $39,900

In Elon We Trust ?
2023 was iffy by Elon's own admission. I'd suggest you change your countdown end date to December 2023 to give it a small chance of being correct. Personally I'm thinking late 2024 early 2025.
Sponsored