RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation AWD CT, M3P, MYP
Country flag
After obsessing about tint choice and finding only a few good photos and videos, maybe this will help some.

Went with 3M ceramic IR 25 on the fronts yesterday. Last minute change from the Crystalline 20, which I was worried would be too dark... Anyway, I'm happy. Wanted a close match to the rears, and not quite so dark I'm getting hassled by the cops. Shapes and movement are visible, but no features. Planning crystalline 70 on the windshield, but needed to special order the material and come back.

$200 fronts, $700 windshield, CA bay area.
Tesla Cybertruck 25% 3M Ceramic IR tint is a decent match to factory rear window tint 1000015246
Tesla Cybertruck 25% 3M Ceramic IR tint is a decent match to factory rear window tint 20240221_115708
Tesla Cybertruck 25% 3M Ceramic IR tint is a decent match to factory rear window tint 20240221_115743

Tesla Cybertruck 25% 3M Ceramic IR tint is a decent match to factory rear window tint IMG_20240221_121243
Sponsored

Last edited:

edc

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
Looks good. I’m going 5%
I regret going 5 on the Y. can't see at night haha
15 has been my sweet spot. Also seats are black not white so it will seem even darker

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag
I regret going 5 on the Y. can't see at night haha
15 has been my sweet spot. Also seats are black not white so it will seem even darker
Good point. I’ll look into the 15%

C3y3ber

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S 100D
Country flag
Looks good. I have used Llumar ceramic in the past but I don't think it as dark so was looking at going with 3M this time around. Do you know what the difference is between 3M ceramic IR vs Crystalline? Didn't realize there was 2 options. I will be researching myself now but figured you seem well informed ;-)

OP
OP
RollingRefrigerator

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks good. I have used Llumar ceramic in the past but I don't think it as dark so was looking at going with 3M this time around. Do you know what the difference is between 3M ceramic IR vs Crystalline? Didn't realize there was 2 options. I will be researching myself now but figured you seem well informed ;-)
Crystalline is their top of the line, and has better TSER if you're into metrics. But it only comes in 20 or 40, and both are in the darker side of that in actual measurements. And it's more expensive of course... I've done Crystalline in the past and been very happy. This is my first go at their ceramic so we'll see how it holds up.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
After obsessing about tint choice and finding only a few good photos and videos, maybe this will help some.

Went with 3M ceramic IR 25 on the fronts yesterday. Last minute change from the Crystalline 20, which I was worried would be too dark... Anyway, I'm happy. Wanted a close match to the rears, and not quite so dark I'm getting hassled by the cops. Shapes and movement are visible, but no features. Planning crystalline 70 on the windshield, but needed to special order the material and come back.

$200 fronts, $700 windshield, CA bay area.
1000015246.jpg
20240221_115708.jpg
20240221_115743.jpg

IMG_20240221_121243.jpg
Well it LOOKS really good.

Two questions.
1 Do you notice much difference at night with visibility?
2 Notice any heat difference? Lot of "cybertruck is a solar oven and 115 degrees" posts out there

Like how that setup makes the front and back a pretty close match to my eye

cyber_danko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model S, Cybertruck
Country flag
Quality Glass & Tint in Santa Clara. Nice price.

@greggertruck I've seen quotes from others in the area charging $1,500+ for the windshield alone, $2800+ for all glass including shield, windows, top and back (You know which shops I am talking about). 3M Crystalline. I may give them a call at these prices. Seems to be the most competitive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RollingRefrigerator

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Quality Glass & Tint in Santa Clara. Nice price.

@greggertruck I've seen quotes from others in the area charging $1,500+ for the windshield alone, $2800+ for all glass including shield, windows, top and back (You know which shops I am talking about). 3M Crystalline. I may give them a call at these prices. Seems to be the most competitive.
Yeah. Wasn't inclined to list the place in case he wanted to raise prices. But I've been coming here for like 15 years. Every job has been perfect, and prices reasonable. So yeah, give them a call.

Carmino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Cybertruck Foundation AWD
You'll primarily want to compare TSER and IRER numbers.

OP
OP
RollingRefrigerator

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks like 20% may have been more matching? Front looks bit lighter
Maybe. It's close, and part of it is that the front is much brighter due to the ginormous windshield, vs closed vault. I also think even the 70% windshield tint will knock it down a bit. But yeah it seems lighter than the back from outside in most situations, but I'm ok with that given CA tint laws...

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
In anything but bright sunlight, 20% front and 50% over the died windows is pretty much exact match in my eyes as a tint dork. Totally uniform needs tint on the windshield

im weird about taking pics of other peoples stuff but ive been in one twice now and seen the before & after.

bdmridgeback

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Traverse, BDM Ridgeback, Ford Transit Connect
Occupation
Business Owner/Manager
Country flag
I've been Tinting windows on cars for a daily gig for 35+ years. It's funny this guy posts that 35% is a decent match to the rear. It's DECENT at best. So the rear factory privacy glass meters at 23/24%. The front doors is 72% green glass. If you want the closest match you will need to go to each manufacturers website and look at the "off the roll" % number. Some companies films are called what they are like 32% and some are called 30% but off the roll may be 33%. In Florida here the legal limit for the two front doors is 28% but there is a 3% meter tolerance so they can net down to 25% without getting a ticket. I put 30% on front doors and they are usually 4-5% lighter than the rear. If you put 20% on the fronts, they will meter at about 17% which is about 5% darker than the rear which looks terrible. I just did a Cybertruck last week with 30% and the customer was extremely happy with the match

Tesla Cybertruck 25% 3M Ceramic IR tint is a decent match to factory rear window tint 20240216_122943
Sponsored