35 years ago, this GM prototype had a yoke, four-wheel steering, and satellite navigation

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
35 years ago, this GM prototype had a yoke, four-wheel steering, and satellite navigation

STEPHEN EDELSTEIN JANUARY 16, 2022

1642481252569.png

1987 Pontiac Pursuit concpet

Steering yokes and touchpad controls are considered cutting-edge car tech today, but 35 years ago a General Motors prototype had those features and more.

The 1987 Pontiac Pursuit aimed to show what cars would be like in the then-far-off year 2000. MotorWeek recently posted a period review to YouTube, as part of the show's Retro Review series.

Pontiac's designers and engineers actually got some things right, including satellite navigation—or at least the idea of it—plus integrated display screens. Other features were a bit unorthodox.

1642481107821.png

1987 Pontiac Pursuit prototype on MotorWeek

The Pursuit also had a steering yoke with two large handles and a number of thumb-activated toggles for a digital driver display, which reminds us of the recently introduced Tesla Model S yoke. However, while Tesla's version behaves more or less like a conventional steering wheel, the Pursuit's yoke only turned 180 degrees lock-to-lock.

That's because the yoke was designed to work with a drive-by-wire four-wheel steering system, with no mechanical connection to the road. That resulted in a "total lack of road feel," per the reviewer.

The steering system also allow the Pursuit to crab walk sideways, not unlike the GMC Hummer EV. Tesla has also indicated that it will add a similar feature to the Cybertruck, although it's unclear when that pickup will reach production.

1642481194560.png

The interior sported front bucket seats with integrated four-point harnesses, built-in rear child seats, and integrated screens for rear-seat passengers—similar to the rear-seat entertainment systems offered in many family vehicles today.

One technology Pontiac missed out on was electrification. The Pursuit was powered by a turbo-4 gasoline engine. However, it set the stage for the all-electric GM Impact concept and the subsequent EV1 production model. The Pursuit's styling also touches on the "kammback" shape that, for aerodynamic reasons, remains the future for cars.

While much of the tech showcased in the Pursuit now a reality, there is one gain that engineers then probably wouldn't have predicted: The kind of steady, incremental battery progress that has made a 500-mile electric vehicle possible without any real packaging concessions.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
SOOOO MANY BUTTONSSSSSSSSS!!!

The Pursuit also had a steering yoke with two large handles and a number of thumb-activated toggles for a digital driver display, which reminds us of the recently introduced Tesla Model S yoke. However, while Tesla's version behaves more or less like a conventional steering wheel, the Pursuit's yoke only turned 180 degrees lock-to-lock.

That's because the yoke was designed to work with a drive-by-wire four-wheel steering system, with no mechanical connection to the road. That resulted in a "total lack of road feel," per the reviewer.

The steering system also allow the Pursuit to crab walk sideways, not unlike the GMC Hummer EV. Tesla has also indicated that it will add a similar feature to the Cybertruck, although it's unclear when that pickup will reach production.
So I guess the field of haptic feedback wasn't much of a thing back in 1987. Though I was studying Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at the time and if I recall correctly there was some research on haptic feedback back then.

180 degrees lock-to-lock makes sense from the human side if you have a yoke to interface with but it would work much better if the yoke had variable sensitivity so there would be an appropriate level of control for the current velocity.

Interesting that crab walk was a thing even back in this prototype. I really want my CT to let me feel the crab walk. Not sure how much it will get used (though it might be automatically used quite a bit).

And I really appreciate the built-in child seat idea. Wish cars these days had those.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even in this article they diss Tesla 'unclear' - yet just as clear as any of the other EV trucks.

I remember thinking its steering control was silly. Too complex for what it did.

-Crissa

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Oh, and I forgot the almost most important part of this thread. When I originally read the article, the only thing I had going through my head was...

"In the year... 2000..., In the year 2000!!!"

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
After a carseat is used, easier to throw the car away than clean out all nooks cheerios may fall into.

Last edited:

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
Yoke is baller. I want that in my CT. With a full QWERTY on it.

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
1642481194560-png.png

I also kinda like the graphics on this. Very retro and not nearly as informative as a modern vehicle needs. But kinda old-school cool. Reminds me of Tron though even Tron had more image density.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
When I read "35 years ago" I expected to see a car from the 1950s.

Seeing one from 1987, I had to gulp!!! ????‍?
Sponsored