37” tires option would be great

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
Hey no worries.

It's fairly difficult even here to get a 4x4 rental "with" insurance for driving it onroad. Most insurance companies don't do off tarmac, which is an issue here in Australia in rural areas because many of the roads are just red gravel roads, and aren't insurable because of it. (plenty of iron ore around in WA!)

I'd imagine in Canada it would be similar out back yonder, so be careful if you have the right insurance for going off-road before going on a trek. I think the best way would be to bum a ride off someone in a 4x4 club and act as a spotter. That would be a good intro and you'd learn a fair bit already, after that maybe you will get lucky and someone will let you drive their rig.

But failing that the only other way would be to get a used vehicle to do some training with, just be aware that some of the lessons you learn will apply, and some won't with the CT. Especially the whole low range, selecting the right gear parts of ICE 4x4 will be fairly useless, but will give you a keen understanding of the traction and inertia dynamics involved.

There might be a few good 4x4 books around, but I have never read any of them, I've just been going by experience so far. Happy to correspond with you otherwise, if you have questions.

What sort of terrain do you expect to be traversing? Maybe we could start a dedicated thread for "Going off-road with my CT - Tips and tricks"
Great points. I didn't even think about the insurance aspect. I think this is why people in the 4X4 clubs were insisting that I use my own vehicle rather than renting someone else's. As a result, I may look into ATV rentals just to at least get started.

Putting down my CT deposit is what got me into off-roading. I follow a few YouTube channels to gain some knowledge (The Road Chose Me, The Story Till Now, Itchy Feet) and I even read the most recent Jeep owner's manual to understand how all of the additional mechanisms and tools work.

As far as where I'd like to go - I'd like to travel through Canada, US, and down into Costa Rica; visit Black Bear Pass and Moab (not do Hell's Revenge though :D); as well as the Pan American Trail. So not too technical or risky. Would be great if an OEM would have a more affordable off-roader in the near future - like Jeep.

For sure, a dedicated tips & tricks thread would be a great idea. I remember Cybertruck Truck Guy saying that CT would have similar off-road capability as the Humvee; was watching videos about it to better appreciate its capabilities.
Sponsored

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
@Albern : Rental of an off-road rig is at least $500 per day; more with deposit and insurance. You should ride along with someone if you can. In the U.S. most people live within 100 miles of off-road "fun parks" that have purpose-made trails that you pay to go through for half a day. For me it's 2 hours north at Rausch Creek in Pennsylvania. Check the link.

If you go to your nearest park's website they should have classes. Even without a 4x4 of your own you'll most likely be able to ride along with an instructor to be a set of helping hands or fly on the wall. Even with only one course and a little follow-up, you will know enough to keep yourself out of trouble which, as GI Joe would say, is half the battle.

I off-road, but for me it's about the destination and not the trip. Personally, I constantly look to stay out of trouble. Instead of looking for technical challenges, I avoid risking the need for self-recovery. I like getting somewhere and relaxing, not pushing my limits to the point where I fail and spend 1-3 hours getting out of a jam-or worse.

Edit: Sorry, I skipped over JBee's post I'm rehashing what he said, which is all dead-on correct.

I will add that you can rent a Wrangler for pretty cheap from Enterprise or Avis. Stock Wranglers are super capable and easy to use and I think it's less than $200. A 4x4 intro course can certainly be done without damaging the Jeep, for sure. You could then take a course and baby it to get the basics, then run it through a car wash and return it. But just know that you're taking an insurance risk if something goes south. Just sayin'
Thanks so much @Dusty !!! Nice to see that there are rental options available - you guys get all the fun. 😂
In Ontario, there's a few trails and crown lands but nothing compared to what's in British Colombia. And yes I totally agree with your mentality - I'm more about overlanding and the destination rather than challenging myself with the vehicle. (y)

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
CANADA has a few lakes. lol

When the bottom goes out of the dirt roads back into those fishing holes in the spring, you can’t have too much tire. Ruts deepen, tires drop into these ruts like crude tracks they are. You don’t get out of them until dry terra firma is reached.

Cybertruck 35’s stock on owner’s trucks will be dragging belly pan in the loose, wet stuff. 37’s will be a blessing for those blokes caught out mudding through sloppy, gloppy stuff.

40”s would be a blessing knowing you got max. clearance but prove the wheel well too small; as it cakes chock full of mud. Cybertruck is not a Powerwagon of 1940’s yesteryear. It looks constrained at the bottom of fender where it meets cowling/firewall.

Totally expect The Great White North Tire Co. to produce a winter EV tires that clean its lug pattern out well. Snow conditions will favor more narrow tread width to “cut” track rather than high floatation wide treads that slide into ditches easily.

$0.02
Sponsored