37” tires option would be great

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
The extra 2" would result in 1" of extra clearance under the CT, and would likely have a better wheel to bump approach angle, and would have a slightly larger and longer contact patch (and better flotaation at higher tyre psi) to the ground if they were the same width (315mm). It would also offer more sidewall between the wheel and the ground for impacts over hard terrain.

The most likely place this would help is for rock climbing to avoid bottoming out, or in mud or snow. In sand or on rutted tracks it will not add much benefit, because for sand it already has much more clearance than would be necessary if the tyres were deflated beforehand.

This is all however more "theoretically, on paper". In reality driver experience, skill and vehicle and terrain familiarity will get them much further than the extra 1" of clearance ever would. So if you are thinking of going off-road, join a club or do a few lessons, followed by some practice runs with friends who can recover you, before heading out into the wild by yourself.

I always carry a snap strap, tow strap, inflatable jack (which only works on a ICE exhaust! ), air compressor, puncture kit, spare (pumped up to double pressure so I can fill another tyre, deflate it before putting it on the car though!) Pressure gauge and let down valves, folding shovel, mini axe, all in a grab bag that I can take with in any car. 2x maxtracks and winch are also good to take with, but need to fit the vehicle.
Thanks so much for the insight, I really appreciate it!!!

Actually as someone with no off-road experience and in anticipation of CT I wanted to start learning how to wheel this year. My plan was to rent an off-road capable vehicle (e.g. Jeep Wrangler) and take it out on a few novice trails. I reached out to a few clubs in the Toronto area and while they were great and sharing their thoughts and experience with me, they didn't like my idea. They figured it was best to bring my own vehicle (even something really inexpensive) as opposed to me renting someone else's. However, I would only have been renting someone's Jeep on the confirmation that they were fully informed and aware of my intent.

I've tried to find off-roading school or even experience events that provide a vehicle but nothing has come up. So far, the closest thing I've found was ATV rentals which might be the route I take if nothing else materializes.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do to get started this year, I'm all ears.
Sponsored

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag

Actually as someone with no off-road experience and in anticipation of CT I wanted to start learning how to wheel this year. My plan was to rent an off-road capable vehicle (e.g. Jeep Wrangler) and take it out on a few novice trails. I reached out to a few clubs in the Toronto area and while they were great and sharing their thoughts and experience with me, they didn't like my idea. They figured it was best to bring my own vehicle (even something really inexpensive) as opposed to me renting someone else's. However, I would only have been renting someone's Jeep on the confirmation that they were fully informed and aware of my intent.

I've tried to find off-roading school or even experience events that provide a vehicle but nothing has come up. So far, the closest thing I've found was ATV rentals which might be the route I take if nothing else materializes.

If you have any suggestions on what I can do to get started this year, I'm all ears.
Badlands Off-Road Adventures (badlandsoffroadadventures.com)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

Hey no worries.

It's fairly difficult even here to get a 4x4 rental "with" insurance for driving it onroad. Most insurance companies don't do off tarmac, which is an issue here in Australia in rural areas because many of the roads are just red gravel roads, and aren't insurable because of it. (plenty of iron ore around in WA!)

I'd imagine in Canada it would be similar out back yonder, so be careful if you have the right insurance for going off-road before going on a trek. I think the best way would be to bum a ride off someone in a 4x4 club and act as a spotter. That would be a good intro and you'd learn a fair bit already, after that maybe you will get lucky and someone will let you drive their rig.

But failing that the only other way would be to get a used vehicle to do some training with, just be aware that some of the lessons you learn will apply, and some won't with the CT. Especially the whole low range, selecting the right gear parts of ICE 4x4 will be fairly useless, but will give you a keen understanding of the traction and inertia dynamics involved.

There might be a few good 4x4 books around, but I have never read any of them, I've just been going by experience so far. Happy to correspond with you otherwise, if you have questions.

What sort of terrain do you expect to be traversing? Maybe we could start a dedicated thread for "Going off-road with my CT - Tips and tricks"

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think Tesla will have its own insurance. Hopefully they will provide cover for all terrain the CT is expected to traverse.

Maybe GPS & cameras will record and surcharge added accordingly.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I think Tesla will have its own insurance. Hopefully they will provide cover for all terrain the CT is expected to traverse.

Maybe GPS & cameras will record and surcharge added accordingly.
I hope Tesla does. But Albern was looking for a way to improve his 4x4 skills and he doesn't have a 4x4 yet without a CT.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
@Albern : Rental of an off-road rig is at least $500 per day; more with deposit and insurance. You should ride along with someone if you can. In the U.S. most people live within 100 miles of off-road "fun parks" that have purpose-made trails that you pay to go through for half a day. For me it's 2 hours north at Rausch Creek in Pennsylvania. Check the link.

If you go to your nearest park's website they should have classes. Even without a 4x4 of your own you'll most likely be able to ride along with an instructor to be a set of helping hands or fly on the wall. Even with only one course and a little follow-up, you will know enough to keep yourself out of trouble which, as GI Joe would say, is half the battle.

I off-road, but for me it's about the destination and not the trip. Personally, I constantly look to stay out of trouble. Instead of looking for technical challenges, I avoid risking the need for self-recovery. I like getting somewhere and relaxing, not pushing my limits to the point where I fail and spend 1-3 hours getting out of a jam-or worse.

Edit: Sorry, I skipped over JBee's post I'm rehashing what he said, which is all dead-on correct.

I will add that you can rent a Wrangler for pretty cheap from Enterprise or Avis. Stock Wranglers are super capable and easy to use and I think it's less than $200. A 4x4 intro course can certainly be done without damaging the Jeep, for sure. You could then take a course and baby it to get the basics, then run it through a car wash and return it. But just know that you're taking an insurance risk if something goes south. Just sayin'

Last edited:
OP
OP

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
37‘s are the new 35s.
New Ford raptor has 37‘s
TRX will follow.

I have 35 inches on my TRX I thought such a tire would be huge and though they are big they actually don’t look all that big on the truck
37‘s actually would fill things in a bit nicer I think the same would apply to the cyber truck the real issue starts to become on having the off-road performance and articulation as you need a lot of room under the fenders to avoid rubbing this is the downside of the 37‘s
Cosmetics and ground clearance are better with 37’s

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
The CT will be worthless off road if there is not an easy way to mount a winch without ruining departure angle and tow hooks in the front. Ive built 6 extremely capable off road vehicle and currently have a diesel gladiator on 40s. If it can get stuck and it definitely has, the Cybertruck certainly can. The issue is it will be very heavy so it’ll get stuck worse and since it will outweigh a lot of other vehicles its going to need a lot more help getting free. If a winch simply hangs off the front its going to ruin its offroad abilities.
my vote for a smaller front with a winch plate + aero cover when its not needed

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Cybertruck at 5-6k lbs not as heavy as some 1 ton trucks.
The Rivian R1T is over 7k lbs...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Next thing you know people will be talking about lifting their cybertrucks. Ha!
You mean like pressing the suspension up button? :)

No point in having it up whilst onroad, it also has enough clearance anyway I think. But if anyone did it, the first step would be bigger tyres, then some spacers on the air bags (or bigger bags) until the CVs give up, after that it gets pretty pricey because you'd have to disconnect and drop the independent suspension somehow.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
The CT will be worthless off road if there is not an easy way to mount a winch...
I'm pretty certain a winch will be available for the CT. A healthy aftermarket should sprout up just like every other popular off-road vehicle. There's a picture of the rear of the CT with an open area just behind where the hitch is mounted. It would actually be perfect for a winch to be tucked inside. I'll find the picture in a bit.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
37s are indeed the new 35s!!!

no need to lift CT, I am fairly certain you can change tire size in the system which would automatically limit the minimum suspension height. I know people lowered model S with just adjustable linkage so worse comes to worse we just need to buy the Leigh’s sensor linkages.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The winch can be mounted under and accessed from the bed. The cable can be fed to the front.

But there’s a battery pack in the way !!!!

No, There isn’t !!! (IChannelled 'the Tesla Economist')

The underside has room for 500KW probably, the battery pack structure I don't think with be compromised if part of it accommodates a winch.

Come to think of it, thesa a room for a donut shape for the spare wheel. (Channeled : My Tesla Weekend)

The witch can sit on the roof.
Sponsored