Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
If this 4680 pack was in Berlin wouldn't it be for ModelY? Does ModelY get a structural pack? Perhaps cooling for non structural 4680 and structural are different....
They could also use aluminum for cooling. Most heat sinks are aluminum. While aluminum is not quite as good a thermal conductor it might not matter for 4680.
Battery heat is from internal resistance and the shortened electrical path via shingled contact surely reduces internal resistance. Indeed this has to be true, If heat has an easier means of escape from the cell than electrical resistance does not increase, then less heat is created. End result is a pack that can charge faster and creates less heat needs less thermal management and maybe doesn't need copper tube.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
If this 4680 pack was in Berlin wouldn't it be for ModelY? Does ModelY get a structural pack? Perhaps cooling for non structural 4680 and structural are different....
They could also use aluminum for cooling. Most heat sinks are aluminum. While aluminum is not quite as good a thermal conductor it might not matter for 4680.
Battery heat is from internal resistance and the shortened electrical path via shingled contact surely reduces internal resistance. Indeed this has to be true, If heat has an easier means of escape from the cell than electrical resistance does not increase, then less heat is created. End result is a pack that can charge faster and creates less heat needs less thermal management and maybe doesn't need copper tube.
The 4680 pack pictured is definitely the "structural" pack, and if that is a MY chassis, then the MY is getting a structural pack. Plus, the body in white has no floor. The battery pack's top lid is the body's floor.

And I agree with everything else you wrote. Less electrical resistance, less heat, less cooling efficiency needed.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Yes, MY is first the get Structural pack with front and back casting.
According to US8758924B2 " Exemplary materials for the cooling tube include metals such as aluminum, an aluminum alloy, steel or copper."
Does not specify which or the combination of which they use.
From all the packs I tear down to the cell level, which includes removing the cooling ribbon. All have been aluminum that us covered with the same damping material as mentioned in the number above.
Only one different is the LFP Packs, I have not touched one yet, but Sandy has and that is a complete different beast, and it's a Beauty!!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The 4680 pack pictured is definitely the "structural" pack, and if that is a MY chassis, then the MY is getting a structural pack. Plus, the body in white has no floor. The battery pack's top lid is the body's floor.

And I agree with everything else you wrote. Less electrical resistance, less heat, less cooling efficiency needed.
It is structural, it is on the Model Y. Photo below is same pack, on the vehicle.

In another place on the tour, they have the seats bolted directly to that formed metal which is right atop the battery. Apparently they now bolt the seats and console onto the battery pack before the Body is attached then lower the body down onto the pack with the seats attached.

Tesla Cybertruck 4680 Battery Anode at Giga Berlin 1633968153823

This all makes me wonder how similar the Cybertruck process is going to be.

Last edited:

Bitmaster

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
It is structural, it is on the Model Y. Photo below is same pack, on the vehicle.

In another place on the tour, they have the seats bolted directly to that formed metal which is right atop the battery. Apparently they now bolt the seats and console onto the battery pack before the Body is attached then lower the body down onto the pack with the seats attached.

1633968153823.png

This all makes me wonder how similar the Cybertruck process is going to be.
Isn't this going to make it impossible to replace the battery when it reaches EOL?

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
No, as the structural battery is one of 3 parts put together to make the frame of the car. Even if it is welded, you can cut the welds and reweld it. The guys do it where I work all the time. Not a welder, so I don’t know any more details about how that works, but we use welds in our shot blasters (access doors are welded shut because bolts would just be destroyed by shot). We have to have the doors cut off and rewelded after we finish working on them.

if this is the “million mile battery” then operations like this will be few and far between. The family car (was my brothers, then my parents, now mine) is a 2007 with only 250,000 miles on it. And we drive far more than the average US driver. By the time you reach 1,000,000 miles you will probably have another car you want to buy.

(at 20,000 miles/year it would take 50 years to reach 1,000,000 miles)

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Isn't this going to make it impossible to replace the battery when it reaches EOL?
Apparently they can drop the whole battery pack out the bottom of the car, seats and all.

Tesla Cybertruck 4680 Battery Anode at Giga Berlin 1633975498445

Thats how they assemble it, they put the seats on the pack first, then they slide it into the body. I assume you could do the reverse if you need to replace the battery.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Apparently they can drop the whole battery pack out the bottom of the car, seats and all.

1633975498445.png

Thats how they assemble it, they put the seats on the pack first, then they slide it into the body. I assume you could do the reverse if you need to replace the battery.

The fact that the seats are connected directly to the battery pack freaked some people out on Twitter .........

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The fact that the seats are connected directly to the battery pack freaked some people out on Twitter .........
I thought Twitter people were generally just freaked out no matter what. Did this freakout rise to some other level high enough to break out of the twitterverse?

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought Twitter people were generally just freaked out no matter what. Did this freakout rise to some other level high enough to break out of the twitterverse?
Not really.