Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2017 MS, 2018 M3, Slvdo 2500HD,CT Tri res
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
Hello All,
Not sure if this has been addressed before but we are planning on towing a 5th wheel and were wondering if the slanted side rails might pose a problem with the trailer turning in tight corners.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
One of the advantages of 5th wheel is the ability to go near perpendicular for backing into tight spots. That would crunch the side rails of the cybertruck. There have been some threads on it here.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
5th wheel may pose a problem but gooseneck trailers designed to not hit the sails are definitely possible.

OP
OP
AustroTom

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
not sure how many (if any), Tesla engineers read this forum but this is definitely a question that will have to be seriously investigated rather than just speculated about. Fivers are after all a big market in the rv and transport world

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
not sure how many (if any), Tesla engineers read this forum but this is definitely a question that will have to be seriously investigated rather than just speculated about. Fivers are after all a big market in the rv and transport world
They are a big part of the RV world but keep in mind that almost all Fivers are pulled with one-ton trucks which the Cybertruck is not competing against. There are some Fivers that are pulled by F-150 size trucks but not that many... yet.

OP
OP
AustroTom

AustroTom

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.schwaigerdesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Artistic metal
Country flag
True. Although from a power standpoint the Tri CT is hardly a 150 anymore.
And I seriously hope the CT will be considered a work horse rather than a Hollywood toy, so towing should be one of the main concerns.
Hopefully Tesla already has different configurations planned (I.e. Low bed, flat bed, box truck etc.), for us to choose once the order window will come around

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
There are questions as to how one would couple a 5th wheel trailer to the CT and some proposed solutions. As far as power goes I think I calculated that the TriMotor can accelerate a 14,000 lb trailer (the towing limit) from 0 - 60 in 9 seconds. And haul one up a 10% grade at 70 mph with power to spare. Of course the range is no longer 500 mi......

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
I've got a 19' Scamp fifth wheel I'm hoping to tow with the CT. Crossing my fingers that with the CT suspension down I can fabricate a hitch that will allow for this. Otherwise Scamp may have to be replaced.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If the sides of the trailer on either side of the 5th wheel/bed hitch angle up, then sharp turns would not be an issue.

I could also see some kind of mechanical 'ramp' or screw shape on the hitch/5th wheel, so that as the trailer turns, it is raised as it turns, so that it will not hit the sail/sides of the bed of the CyberTruck.

Last edited:

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Cyber Hitch, can be used in the bed and on a rear receiver.
search for cyber hitch.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
True. Although from a power standpoint the Tri CT is hardly a 150 anymore.
And I seriously hope the CT will be considered a work horse rather than a Hollywood toy, so towing should be one of the main concerns.
Hopefully Tesla already has different configurations planned (I.e. Low bed, flat bed, box truck etc.), for us to choose once the order window will come around
The CT is almost exactly the same size as an F150 though it will be much more capable.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Engineers don't just look at things. They try to figure out why they are the way they are. When an engineer looks at the AWD CT and compares it to the TriMotor it is pretty clear what the 3rd motor and bigger battery are for and that is towing. I should have included this in my comment in No.7. After you draw the conclusion that the third motor and big battery are for towing a couple of checks against the specs quickly confirm that hypothesis.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Yeah, that looks like something I do not want to deal with. It would make quickly backing up a trailer less than fun... not that I have tried, but I would probably avoid a 5th wheel if I had to use that.

I assume that if the CyberTruck is popula, people will make 5th wheels that match the CyberTruck, not just in looks, but also it work with its bed.
Sponsored