Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon announced that the Tesla Semi could get a range of 621 miles over time.

The CT should get 600+ as well I would think.

Elon Musk made new comments about the Tesla Semi program, Tesla’s upcoming electric semi truck, and said that the vehicle will eventually have up to 1,000 km (621 miles) of range.

This new range is going to be achieved, thanks to Tesla’s new in-house battery cells and battery pack technology.

When launching Tesla Semi in 2017, the automaker said that the production versions of Tesla Semi, which is a class 8 truck with a 80,000-lb capacity, will have 300-mile and 500-mile range options for $150,000 and $180,000, respectively.

However, CEO Elon Musk said that they found opportunities to extend that range during testing.

A year later, Musk said that the Tesla Semi production version will have closer to 600 miles of range.

Now the CEO elaborated on the range of the Tesla Semi in new comments during an interview early this morning:

Getting a range of let’s say 500 km is I think quite easy, trivial to be frank, for a semi truck and this is assuming a truck that is pulling a load of 40 metric tons. If you want, for long-range trucking, you can take the range up to, we think, easily 800 km, and we see a path over time to 1,000 km range for an heavy duty truck.
Those first two range figures are in line with what Tesla previously announced for Tesla Semi: 500 km or 310 miles and 800 km or 497 miles.

However, 1,000 km (621 miles) is the new information here.

Also, Musk meant to say that the total weight of the truck with load would be in the range of 40 metric tons and not actually pull a load of 40 metric tons, since that’s 88,000 lbs and trucks in the US have a total weight limit of 80,000 lbs with their load.

Speaking of Tesla Semi’s capacity, a semi truck’s weight and load capacity are very important since how much cargo it can carry affects its profitability.

This has been a problem for electric trucks due to the weight of the battery pack.

Musk commented on that for the first time and he said that Tesla might have to give up a ton of capacity to the weight of the Tesla Semi:

You are able to carry basically the same cargo as a diesel truck. We think that maybe there’s 1-ton penalty. Maybe. At this point, we think that we can have less than 1-ton cargo reduction and we think long term it’s going to be zero cargo reduction for electric trucks.
Here’s the interview in which Musk has made those new comments

The CEO also confirms that Tesla Semi is going to use Tesla’s new 4680 cells and even the new structural battery pack design that Tesla unveiled with the new cell at its Battery Day event.

He said that those kind of ranges are achievable for an electric semi truck at “around 300 Wh/kg” of energy density at the cell level — hinting at the energy density of Tesla’s new cells.

SOURCE: ELECTREK
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Why does everyone think when Elon says "eventually" he means now? He doesn't even mean now when he says "now".
I couldn't agree more. I saw this same claim on YouTube tonight. People want to make a splash so they say outrageous things. Sometimes it just labels them.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

Elon Musk made new comments about the Tesla Semi program, Tesla’s upcoming electric semi truck, and said that the vehicle will eventually have up to 1,000 km (621 miles) of range.

This new range is going to be achieved, thanks to Tesla’s new in-house battery cells and battery pack technology.

When launching Tesla Semi in 2017, the automaker said that the production versions of Tesla Semi, which is a class 8 truck with a 80,000-lb capacity, will have 300-mile and 500-mile range options for $150,000 and $180,000, respectively.

However, CEO Elon Musk said that they found opportunities to extend that range during testing.

A year later, Musk said that the Tesla Semi production version will have closer to 600 miles of range.

Now the CEO elaborated on the range of the Tesla Semi in new comments during an interview early this morning:

Those first two range figures are in line with what Tesla previously announced for Tesla Semi: 500 km or 310 miles and 800 km or 497 miles.

Also, Musk meant to say that the total weight of the truck with load would be in the range of 40 metric tons and not actually pull a load of 40 metric tons, since that’s 88,000 lbs and trucks in the US have a total weight limit of 80,000 lbs with their load.

Speaking of Tesla Semi’s capacity, a semi truck’s weight and load capacity are very important since how much cargo it can carry affects its profitability.

This has been a problem for electric trucks due to the weight of the battery pack.

Musk commented on that for the first time and he said that Tesla might have to give up a ton of capacity to the weight of the Tesla Semi:

The CEO also confirms that Tesla Semi is going to use Tesla’s new 4680 cells and even the new structural battery pack design that Tesla unveiled with the new cell at its Battery Day event.

He said that those kind of ranges are achievable for an electric semi truck at “around 300 Wh/kg” of energy density at the cell level — hinting at the energy density of Tesla’s new cells.

I have a good friend who's been a long-haul trucker for the last 35 years. In speaking with him about the Tesla Semi, he says nothing short of a 1000 mile rang will work for what he does. I think the Tesla Semi will work for a lot of applications, just maybe not long-haul.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I like the fact that as per battery day, the CT is supposed to be using the same battery tech as the semi. I get that the CT battery pack won't be the same size as the semi (but oh what a crazy thought). But the fact that they have so much improvement scoped out for these batteries means that the CT could come with much higher range than anyone is thinking so far. Of course Elon will be making a choice in battery pack size/configuration to maximize the features of the CT so we'll have to wait and see how it actually turns out.

But still, this interview was a good sign.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
He said 600 miles fully laden.

-Crissa
Yes, fully laden. So if you remove the "trailer" then who knows how far it could go if testing for single charge endurance. And the Semi would have worse overall drag than the CT.

Now he did mention that the Semi battery pack was about 1 ton. I would not expect the CT battery pack to be that large. But if you shrink the Semi battery pack size to reasonably fit in the CT I wonder what kind of range that gives the CT.

I just start imagining if one were to say build out a battery pack trailer that was just the Semi battery pack with wheels and tow it behind the CT (probably wouldn't fit in the CT bed). How far could a single charge take the CT? This assumes you can use the trailer pack as live charge for driving. Of course, this is an entirely impractical situation. Bio-breaks, mental exhaustion, and lack of practical need would rule this idea out as being impractical. But I'd certainly love to see someone do it. I'd watch that YouTube video series (the build-out, some example driving, and the final report on performance).

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I dont think it will have 600+ miles of range. I think they easily could, but Tesla is constantly operating with batteries being the supply constraint, if they can use less batteries to achieve the goal.. and maybe still give us more range than promised I think they are going to do that. So for example if they need say a 135kwh pack to reach ~500 miles in the CT but they can fit a 180 kwh battery I think for now they will slap in 135 kwh.

Im totally guessing here btw.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

No disrespect, but I totally disagree with this extrapolation. It was very recently determined that the original 500 miles of range had been upped to 560 miles of range as confirmed by 2 credible sources (engineers) within Tesla. This was discussed on The Ride the lightning Podcast a number of weeks ago. https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/ride-the-lightning-podcast-tri-motor-cybertruck-will-have-560-miles-range-different-steering-wheel-from-prototype/
Elon's comments about the semi were likely strictly about the semi as they will have completely different battery pack configurations. We know they will be using the same cell and even the same cell composition, but the semi, with the ability to tow 88,000lbs is going to have many more packs, have a completely different pack configuration, and weigh considerably more than the CT. For these reasons, I dont think you can extrapolate the range numbers down to the CT. I think the 560mi confirmation from 2 different engineers commenting on the CT itself is likely the best estimate we will have for a while until the test mules hit the road once the factory is completed.

mggoulet

First Name
Michel Goulet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck with 3 motors
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Does it mean that the CT trimotor could get 1,000 Km range ???

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
He drives two work days without having access to fuel?

That's ahh... Hard to believe.

-Crissa
Some truck drivers that work in teams (in shifts, one drives while the other sleeps) make long miles without long stops. In those cases Tesla Semi is not a good fit...

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
When Elon has a comment on some future tech such as the range some people assume it will be now, expect maybe by 2025 CT could have 600 miles of range. When he talks about the Semi the range is based on pulling a trailer, Is the CT pulling a trailer or not.....Tesla doesn't specify

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Some truck drivers that work in teams (in shifts, one drives while the other sleeps) make long miles without long stops. In those cases Tesla Semi is not a good fit...
Those are pretty rarified. And they still have to sit still a number of hours a day.

It's bot how many miles of ragne it has - because charging infrastructure will grow with it - it's how many miles you can go in so many hours, anyhow.

-Crissa
Sponsored