7 reasons the Ford F-150 Lightning is a dud.

Vrakpant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover 109, Ford Transit Custom
Country flag
The Ford F-150 is a yoke JOKE.
Brian from My Tesla Weekend laying the smack down.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think we should hold off piling on Ford until both trucks are actually on the market.

This guy is comparing 2 non-shipping vehicles to each other. What the end products will look like, how well they perform, and how reliable they are is yet to be seen.

I prefer the Cybertruck, I have 2 (sort-of) on order and expect I'll buy one, but without actually seeing them in action side-by-side, it's tough to make a call. Also, we don't know when the Cybertruck is going to ship. Tesla still says EOY, but that may not be in volume. Ford may beat them to production... though Ford Mustang production numbers suggest otherwise.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
With 1 million reservation and counting, CT does not need this guy to manufacture a conflict. As Ogre mentioned I don’t see a lot of BEV trucks sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold. Anyone that can make anything can sell it. These made up wars are only good for youtubers.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The other thing is.

It's entirely possible the F150 is perfect for some use cases and the CT is perfect for others.

Or simply, the F150 is good enough for people who aren't comfortable driving around in a truck that looks like it belongs in a 80s sci fi movie.

*I'm fine with my truck looking like it's from an 80s sci fi movie*

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I think we should hold off piling on Ford until both trucks are actually on the market.

This guy is comparing 2 non-shipping vehicles to each other. What the end products will look like, how well they perform, and how reliable they are is yet to be seen.
Both Tesla & Ford have released specifications & prices.

Tesla is accepting money to hold a reservation.

Ford is also taking reservations.

Ford made announcement hoping to get buyers to wait (year?) for the Ford product.

Should we wait?

For some people there could be considerable cost for waiting.

What is someone that could buy a full electric SUV today or wait for F-150 Lightning.
Is F-150 Lightning going to be a good deal and waits instead of buying an electric SUV available today?

What about investors that are trying to decide whether to buy Ford stock or something else?
If F-150 Lightning looks like it will not be a competitive product maybe it would be bad idea to invest in Ford?

Tesla has history of delivering BEV that are better than ICE.
Ford's history is that Ford BEVs are not as good as Ford ICE products.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Both Tesla & Ford have released specifications & prices.
This guy doesn't have any more intel on these trucks than you or I. Most of us like the one or the other of the two trucks based on the specs we've seen.

For me, the math is simple. The Ford's 300 miles and slow charging aren't going to work for the road trips I do. If I was buying it for my contracting business and charge up at home every day maybe I'd make a different call.

This is a $40,000-$90,000 investment depending on vehicle choice. If, armed with those specs, you aren't sure which truck is the best, drop a reservation on both and make up your mind when the final product ships.

These videos sh*t talking the competitors aren't adding any value beyond what is easily available on spec sheets.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla has history of delivering BEV that are better than ICE.
Ford's history is that Ford BEVs are not as good as Ford ICE products.
Apologies for double-reply.

I fully agree. But lots of people *love* the Mustang Mach-E. Car & Driver rated it their EV of the year or something. It's certainly a far better offering than the Bolt which Chevy has been kicking around for 3+ years, so maybe the F150 is going to be amazing?

For the past 5+ years, I've watched people compare announced/ pre-release cars which are months or years from shipping to the currently shipping Model S or Model 3 as if that made any sense. To me, the idea of comparing non-shipping products is nonsense.

The VD ID.buzz is a perfect example. The concept and proposed specs wowed the media (it still gets used as the EV image on VW articles). The actual version getting tested right now looks like some kind of soulless airport shuttle van.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
While everything this guy said had some kernel of truth, it doesn't actually matter. Ford has its culture of yearly iteration. Tesla iterates whenever it wants but will not change the exoskeleton. Put differently, the two vehicles that are being compared are not going to define the future of their lines.

My personal favorite vehicle, the Chevy Chevelle went through 3 generations with iterations within each generation. The 3 generations could not be more different and this was only from 1964 to 1977. Ford has been making the original F-150 since 1948. Ford is playing the long game and will eventually produce a comparable truck.

LMFTFY "The 2022 Ford Lightning does compare favorably to the CT as the specs are currently announced." Much closer to the truth, way less sexy, only partially true.

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
This guy doesn't have any more intel on these trucks than you or I. Most of us like the one or the other of the two trucks based on the specs we've seen.

For me, the math is simple. The Ford's 300 miles and slow charging aren't going to work for the road trips I do. If I was buying it for my contracting business and charge up at home every day maybe I'd make a different call.

This is a $40,000-$90,000 investment depending on vehicle choice. If, armed with those specs, you aren't sure which truck is the best, drop a reservation on both and make up your mind when the final product ships.

These videos sh*t talking the competitors aren't adding any value beyond what is easily available on spec sheets.
Your right I have an order for both. I like the Ford video, but I’m hearing that Ford dealerships are taking their customers to the cleaners. Being able to avoid a dealership makes me lean towards Tesla.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
This video did not age well.

F150L lived up to its specs and pricing, and has been available to buyers for almost 2 years. Plenty of nitpick critiques from people who actually drive it every day, but also a whole lot of "Wow, this is the best F150, ever!" Hard to call that trash.

CT is a whole lot closer to the F150 specs and doesn't match Ford on entry-level pricing. It is still ramping up and has had little critique or feedback from actual buyers, yet.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This video did not age well.

F150L lived up to its specs and pricing, and has been available to buyers for almost 2 years. Plenty of nitpick critiques from people who actually drive it every day, but also a whole lot of "Wow, this is the best F150, ever!" Hard to call that trash.

CT is a whole lot closer to the F150 specs and doesn't match Ford on entry-level pricing. It is still ramping up and has had little critique or feedback from actual buyers, yet.
this was and remains the danger to Tesla/Cybertruck fans from the beginning

Paint yourself into a corner about what is "trash" or a "joke," before knowing which players your team is fielding

from this particular brand of "fan," It's been a steady stream of back peddling here for the past 12 months. "Any truck without 6 full seats is trash." "Any truck with less than 500mi range is trash." Etc., etc., etc. Not a single mia culpa, instead just a hypocritical brand of cognitive dissonance, as though what they once thought they never thought.

which for me says almost nothing about the Cybertruck and Tesla (or Lightning and Ford), but instead only the irony of how the most self-proclaimed "fans" are often the most detrimental to the brand.

Dumb Game

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge neon
Occupation
Line-Haul Trucker
Country flag
The Ford F-150 is a yoke JOKE.
Brian from My Tesla Weekend laying the smack down.
Only 7?..... It's a Ford there's 8 and I'm sure there's a hundred more reasons
Sponsored