A snorkel attachment to the air intake to make the cybertruck amphibious?

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
With the water displacement and (double O-ringed) sealed doors and rear gate, it would not take much to make the CyberTruck amphibious despite the weight, as Elon said, the electrics are already insulated/water sealed... and with the (limited?) pass through for quick excursion or perhaps a stipulation that everyone needs to be in the open vault when it is on the water, and the pilot uses a remote to control it, it would be a doddle.

For propulsion, there have been many posts on YouTube, I don't think this is an issue... and with rear wheel steering, that opens up opportunities even further...

The main issue would then be the air intake as from what I have seen it is not too far from the font registration plate... so just it would not take much to create an interface that would allow a click on snorkel on the air intake that would be water tight... Or even a bit more out of the box... (okay potentially over engineered?) that the car realizes it is in amphibious mode, limits power, shuts off the main air intake and uses the cabin outlets to draw air in to cool the system though as it is in water, the battery packs heat sink will be I assume in contact with the base plate and so should be naturally by the circulating water? So the cooling considerations are not an issue?

Anyhow, flight (or float) of fancy - I would be interested in your thoughts...
If your concern is the cabin air intake, that's located below the passenger windshield wiper in the Model 3/Y. Cybertruck might be in the same location. If you are concerned about water splashing it pouring into the intake, there's a drain hole at the bottom of it that would help drain some of the water before it got to the cabin filters. I'd be more concerned about the drain for the HVAC letting water into the cabin because it's very low (right above the front edge of the battery pack).

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Pretty much every vehicle has the cabin air intake in that spot. It leads into a box with a drain. So rain and a little water intake is not a big deal, submersion would obviously be a big problem. The Jeep has double seals on the doors and is considered generally water resistant, good for fording rivers. I can tell you that if you get stuck in the water, eventually everything does leak. I don't expect the CT to be any better about this because true water PROOFING instead of water resistance would be insanely complicated and expensive.

Bottom line, have fun up to about the fenders and DON'T GET STUCK.

Tesla Cybertruck A snorkel attachment to the air intake to make the cybertruck amphibious? 1632237409571

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Also, as it's shipped, the truck likely won't submerge deep enough to worry about this. You get deeper and the air in your truck gives you buoyancy. Once the truck starts floating you lose traction and drifting with the current begins and your chance of getting stuck increases. As @Swamp Nut suggests getting stuck is not good.

The guy who tried to go submarine in his Model S had to put a massive amount of weight in it to keep the wheels on the bottom.

Also, the deeper you go, the tougher it is on the seals.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
That was my problem; one slip in silt, and the Jeep floated. The CT is likely much less bouyant though, batteries are crazy heavy. My M3LR is almost as heavy as that Jeep (4050 pounds vs 4600).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That was my problem; one slip in silt, and the Jeep floated. The CT is likely much less bouyant though, batteries are crazy heavy. My M3LR is almost as heavy as that Jeep (4050 pounds vs 4600).
The CT also has a lot more air in the cabin/ vault/ frunk than your jeep. Not sure if the vault seals though. Once the frunk, the cabin, and the two storage* compartments under the vault start to submerge that's a lot of air. It's almost like 3 big floats.

* Two, one for your gear and one for the rolling vault cover.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
It sounds like there's about to be an intersection between this forum and a FB group that I'm a member of (Boat Fails). This should provide hours of entertainment for both camps.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Possible to use a truckload of Electric Eel for backup power too while water traveling? lol

Tesla Cybertruck A snorkel attachment to the air intake to make the cybertruck amphibious? Eel

There are at least three species of electric eels (Electrophorus spp.), not just one as previously believed. Two new species have recently been described with São Paulo Research Foundation—FAPESP's support by a group of researchers affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution and National Geographic Society, among other institutions. One of the new species can discharge up to 860 volts, the strongest of any known animal.

Eel Source

Klaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Oo, please, don't push the CT into water.
You soon may need a boating driving licence,
and after while a submarine master licence

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
how do factory warantees work with offroad stuff?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
how do factory warantees work with offroad stuff?
I doubt Tesla service goes off-road to help you if something goes wrong on the trail. But maybe once there are enough CTs out and about, Tesla might use some CTs for mobile off-road service of some sort.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
On second thoughts if the frunk and vault were full of expanded polystyrene - a quick trip to the Isle of Wight (an island a few miles off the south cost of England) is looking tempting :)
Could be quite lucrative with a few CT’s running a shuttle service.
Sponsored