Accessory Chat: Would Tesla GOM Account for Range Effects?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
We’ve long established how the larger the vehicle, the more critical is aerodynamics to range.

We’ve also long discussed how accessories that mount outside the envelope of the truck will have possibly material effects on range (especially at high speeds).

In my ideal world, the CyberTruck accessories purchase page would list the range effect of a given OEM accessory. Eg:

“Roof Rack: US$650.00 (-5% range @65mph)”

Relatedly, because these are OEM accessories, in my ideal world the Tesla range guess-o-meter (GOM) would account for installed accessories.

Will Tesla list range penalty of accessories, or at least have it flange with GOM range inputs?

On one hand, I wouldn’t blame a company selling accessories for not listing range-effect at purchase, while similarly not being surprised if the the GOM doesnt account for it.

On the other hand, this sort of range effect disclosure/advertisement** would seem to be the future. As people convert to BEVs and come to understand the unique considerations, these sorts of range effects would seem to be as pertinent or competitive-advantage relevant as any other performance feature.

If Tesla doesn’t do it off the bat, then I’d hope they eventually lead the way (at least until improvements in battery/charging/education make it irrelevant).

Thoughts on if this is relevant info to you, or if Tesla may address it?
Sponsored

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
We’ve long established how the larger the vehicle, the more critical is aerodynamics to range.

We’ve also long discussed how accessories that mount outside the envelope of the truck will have possibly material effects on range (especially at high speeds).

In my ideal world, the CyberTruck accessories purchase page would list the range effect of a given OEM accessory. Eg:

“Roof Rack: US$650.00 (-5% range @65mph)”

Relatedly, because these are OEM accessories, in my ideal world the Tesla range guess-o-meter (GOM) would account for installed accessories.

Will Tesla list range penalty of accessories, or at least have it flange with GOM range inputs?

On one hand, I wouldn’t blame a company selling accessories for not listing range-effect at purchase, while similarly not being surprised if the the GOM doesnt account for it.

On the other hand, this sort of range effect disclosure/advertisement** would seem to be the future. As people convert to BEVs and come to understand the unique considerations, these sorts of range effects would seem to be as pertinent or competitive-advantage relevant as any other performance feature.

If Tesla doesn’t do it off the bat, then I’d hope they eventually lead the way (at least until improvements in battery/charging/education make it irrelevant).

Thoughts on if this is relevant info to you, or if Tesla may address it?
If Tesla did as you ask, what would happen to all the Utubers and their testing videos????:eek::eek::eek::ROFLMAO:

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I love your idea and it would be great for Tesla to list the potential/expected gains or losses battery percentage for each item. If that was to happen, it would take a bit because Tesla would have to install each item on a Cybertruck and test it to determine operating efficiency. I think we will eventually get there.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Listing the impact at sales point makes sense. However GOM can calculate and adjust independent of that. When you add a rack, your miles covered at the same speed for the same KWh will change and GOM should be able to adjust because it has the basic info it needs (power and distance). Kinda the same way that if you change your tires to an off road tire or if you drive against 20 mph headwind.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Listing the impact at sales point makes sense. However GOM can calculate and adjust independent of that. When you add a rack, your miles covered at the same speed for the same KWh will change and GOM should be able to adjust because it has the basic info it needs (power and distance). Kinda the same way that if you change your tires to an off road tire or if you drive against 20 mph headwind.
I guess but, at the very least doesn’t it need to first know it’s baseline? Like, when fully charged it shows 3XX instead of 3YY?

separately, what if Tesla says nothing, advertises the truck to be 350mi variant, buyer adds on all the aero-effecting accessories, and either:

(1) shows up with GOM adjusted down to max 300, or

(2) shows up with GOM unadjusted showing 350, but after several drives ‘learns’ and from there on shows max 300

neither option above seems ideal for buyer or Tesla

I really don’t know. Why I’m turning to the borg

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I guess but, at the very least doesn’t it need to first know it’s baseline? Like, when fully charged it shows 3XX instead of 3YY?

separately, what if Tesla says nothing, advertises the truck to be 350mi variant, buyer adds on all the aero-effecting accessories, and either:

(1) shows up with GOM adjusted down to max 300, or

(2) shows up with GOM unadjusted showing 350, but after several drives ‘learns’ and from there on shows max 300

neither option above seems ideal for buyer or Tesla

I really don’t know. Why I’m turning to the borg
I am not sure people put too much stock in Tesla's advertised range. It seems like in both senarios GOM eventually will tell the truth and if it doesn't you will know how dishonest it is.

Generally speaking, The more efficient it is, the more impact those changes will have. I was wondering about the same thing before I added the rack and running boards to my Pro. I still can't quantify the impact but summer range/efficiency has been fantastic.

I see the range topic more as an art than science. You gotta become one with your BEV to understand and feel every single electron flowing in it's wires. It may take a bunch of miles in different conditions to become master of that domain.

Tesla Cybertruck Accessory Chat: Would Tesla GOM Account for Range Effects? 1693532119105

But if you don't want to do that, there will be youtube reviews as soon as CT comes out.

Last edited:

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
It wouldn't be prudent for neither tesla or third party vendors to do this.

Anything outside the aero envelope would decimate aero. Tesla would have to give access to their modeling to have them even be competitive.

It's better to be blissfully ignorant to aero.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It wouldn't be prudent for neither tesla or third party vendors to do this.

Anything outside the aero envelope would decimate aero. Tesla would have to give access to their modeling to have them even be competitive.

It's better to be blissfully ignorant to aero.
but isn’t the catch that people will not remain blissfully ignorant? and since it’snot aftermarket, but instead OEM offerings that most likely will come delivered from the factory, it’s squarely in Tesla’s court

and so the question becomes how to best balance with the managing of expectations and controlling the message?

but, seeing your point as the counter-point, is why I wonder about this and put the question to the hive mind

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
but isn’t the catch that people will not remain blissfully ignorant? and since it’snot aftermarket, but instead OEM offerings that most likely will come delivered from the factory, it’s squarely in Tesla’s court

and so the question becomes how to best balance with the managing of expectations and controlling the message?

but, seeing your point as the counter-point, is why I wonder about this and put the question to the hive mind
Again, tesla woudn't want to certify anything that messes up their drag coefficient.

it's easier to say "do your thing" instead of rating them.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Again, tesla woudn't want to certify anything that messes up their drag coefficient.
why would it mess up “their drag coefficient”

the *truck* has a drag and rolling resistance related range in a certain configuration (eg given XYZ configuration)

by way of example, this is why the Ford Lightning Platinum trim level is EPA range rated at 300mi rather than 320mi of the lower trim levels with an identical pack - the addition of the larger wheels and added weight of trim accessories in the package, have a -10% effect on range? Purely from added rolling resistance (no aero change)

and again, I’m sympathetic with and lean towards your conclusion as well.

but I think it’s the wrong conclusion for Tesla

eg Rivian should *disclose* to it’s customers that selecting the all terrain tires has a -20% range effect at highway speed X

Just seems this sort of range education is needed for combating generalized range anxiety

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It could be a third party business to 3D scan any object and post the coefficient of drag for that item. With some sort of chart showing how much energy is needed to move it at …, 70, 80, …. Mph.

my racks are mostly hiding behind the cab so it does not have that much impact but I am curious about my running boards.