Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Wasnt the cover always black? Why are there so many articles talking about the color
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Wasnt the cover always black? Why are there so many articles talking about the color
Yes.

Maybe because the vault has been open most of the time and people forgot?

Not sure. It would be weird if it were pink or something.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Yes.

Maybe because the vault has been open most of the time and people forgot?

Not sure. It would be weird if it were pink or something.
exactly, I had to go watch the jay leno video but it was basically black

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The BED was stainless in the original CT, but subsequent versions have had black beds. Are they conflating the tonneau cover with a "covering" (think Rhino Liner) of the bed?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
exactly, I had to go watch the jay leno video but it was basically black
I donā€™t think any of the classic media gives a damn about the Cybertruck and when articles arenā€™t trash talking it, the guy who writes the story is the one who drew the short stick.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Really, Tesla sucks at sales. I know many of you just lost it with that statement, but hear me out. Obviously they are some of the best selling cars in the world and it is almost entirely the design and engineering that sell themselves. There is also the green aspect as well. I don't think many people think that they want buy tesla to support Elon. For most its probably a little bit of everything.

When i am dealing with selling large dollar values, over time, you kind of want to feed people bits of news or updates so they can chew on it and come up with their own motivation to make the purchase. This journey with the CT has been so haphazard its incredible. I still don't know if we actually really know much.

I mean even the more recent patents show a thinner stainless. The more recent casting images make it seem like the sail pillar storage is gone and no pass through. Some videos seem to show rear wheel steering while many don't. The side mirrors are changing. I guess we can assume that any new prototype has a more up to date feature.

I hope we get more info today. but it seems like they are going to drop the updated pricing and specs on people that have been waiting almost 5 years and its going to be rough. Obviously they will still sell a lot of them. At this point they could probably not give any specs and put the price at $100k and people would be lined up out the door for a couple years to buy it regardless.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The BED was stainless in the original CT, but subsequent versions have had black beds. Are they conflating the tonneau cover with a "covering" (think Rhino Liner) of the bed?
In my opinion a stainless bed is completely stupid. Lincoln tried it in the 90s. I actually shot the commercial for it. It will get so scratched up the aesthetics will go out the window so all thats left would be the non rusting which is nice but Rhino lining or Linex is the way to go. I will never own a truck that doesn't have a lined bed. The bed will not be 3mm stainless if it is stainless and it will be suseptable to dents just like steel. Lining strengthens the steel and i am pretty rough with the bed and it still looks great after 18 years.

I think the biggest issue they will have with that bed is people closing it with excessive moisture inside and having condensation issues.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Really, Tesla sucks at sales. I know many of you just lost it with that statement, but hear me out. Obviously they are some of the best selling cars in the world and it is almost entirely the design and engineering that sell themselves. There is also the green aspect as well. I don't think many people think that they want buy tesla to support Elon. For most its probably a little bit of everything.

When i am dealing with selling large dollar values, over time, you kind of want to feed people bits of news or updates so they can chew on it and come up with their own motivation to make the purchase. This journey with the CT has been so haphazard its incredible. I still don't know if we actually really know much.

I mean even the more recent patents show a thinner stainless. The more recent casting images make it seem like the sail pillar storage is gone and no pass through. Some videos seem to show rear wheel steering while many don't. The side mirrors are changing. I guess we can assume that any new prototype has a more up to date feature.

I hope we get more info today. but it seems like they are going to drop the updated pricing and specs on people that have been waiting almost 5 years and its going to be rough. Obviously they will still sell a lot of them. At this point they could probably not give any specs and put the price at $100k and people would be lined up out the door for a couple years to buy it regardless.
Bad at sales?

They have 'sold' a million more Cybertrucks than they've made. Their 'inventory' in a bad month is still smaller than the biggest dealerships in the country.

Seems like they're great at selling.

Just you know, they don't need to do any yapping about the product. We do it for them.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

I hope we get more info today. but it seems like they are going to drop the updated pricing and specs on people that have been waiting almost 5 years and its going to be rough. ...
How can it be "waiting almost 5 years" when it has not even been 3.5 years yet ( 2019Nov21 - 2023Mar02) ???

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
How can it be "waiting almost 5 years" when it has not even been 3.5 years yet ( 2019Nov21 - 2023Mar02) ???
Well, for many people thereā€™s still >1.5yr years to go before they take delivery *shrug*

and to be fair Musk did by 2017 start talking a lot about the developed plans for a truck, even if unveil wasnā€™t until 2019 *shrug*

if nothing else, we can all agree itā€™s felt like an eternity:giggle:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Well, for many people thereā€™s still >1.5yr years to go before they take delivery *shrug*

and to be fair Musk did by 2017 start talking a lot about the developed plans for a truck, even if unveil wasnā€™t until 2019 *shrug*

if nothing else, we can all agree itā€™s felt like an eternity:giggle:
We now have more than just Elon's hopes for when Cybertruck will arrive.
On Tesla's 2023 Investor Day, Tesla's Senior VP: Powertrain & Energy Engineering, Drew Baglino reiterated that the Cybertruck would arrive this year (2023), with volume production expected in 2024.

So it still might be less than 4.1 years before some customers receive Cybertruck.

Ford, who has been a major truck maker for over 100 years, actual built and shipped BEV pickups in 1997-2002 and still did not ship a modern BEV pickup (F-150 Lightning EV) until spring 2022. Ford's 20 year delay is much closer to eternity than Tesla's Cybertruck. With Ford, GM/Chevy, RAM it might feel like eternity but it certainly basically a whole human generation (18ā€“ā 30 years). Some guys/gals born in 2002-2004 become grandparents before Ford, GM/Chevy, RAM ship BEV pickup.

Ford's very first truck was built in 1917 and it was based off the Model T and named the Ford Model TT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_TT

Ford Ranger EV (Electric Vehicle) is a battery powered compact pickup truck that was produced by the Ford motor company and was Ford's first all-electric production vehicle.
Production: 1997ā€“2002. Assembly: Edison, New Jersey, USA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_EV

Human Generation
A generation refers to all of the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively. It can also be described as, "the average period, generally considered to be about 18ā€“ā 30 years, during which children are born and grow up, become adults, and begin to have children."

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
We now have more than just Elon's hopes for when Cybertruck will arrive.
yes. When the first oneā€™s arrive, I understand. But when the last preorder ships? Hasnā€™t Elon guessed 3 years after first ship? In any event I obviously wasnā€™t talkinf about when the first ones would ship. Was being half tongue-in-cheek about how one might hazard to say ā€œwaiting 5 years.ā€

and still did not ship a modern BEV pickup (F-150 Lightning EV) until spring 2022
correction: they wont ship a modern BEV pickup until at least early 2025

the Lightning is an F150 platform vehicle, with BEV guts stuffed in. Like prior iterations of Ford ā€œLightningā€ models, it is a low production, short term, specialty vehicle.

Ford only a few months ago broke ground in its facility that will produce Fordā€™s first ever ground-up BEV platform truck (it will not be an ā€œF150ā€)

nonetheless, I donā€™t see how thatā€™s relevant to what was being discussed?

Ford unveiled a model announced for production and in fact produced in a matter of months, not years. THAT is more the parallel to the CT unveiling in 2019, attendant to assertions production would begin now years ago. (A different parallel, from when Ford began discussing having a BEV pickup to selling its first one is more the parallel of when Elon first began discussing having a truck, which was more like 2014.)

Iā€™ll probably never understand this need for folks to turn every discussion about our hopes and dreams for the CT into a comparison to Ford in particular. Which is it: we all deeply understand, to the point of being a platitude, that traditional manufacturers are behind and slow to BEV market? Or instead that weā€™re so insecure in Teslaā€™s CT roadmap history that we have to keep reminding that someone else messed up first? To the point of history lessons on the Model T?

In any event, the guy above was clearly speaking of the time delta between CT ā€œunveilingā€ and actual first sale (contrary to assertions at the unveiling about the timing to first sale. Expectations were set. Which is a legitimate if marginal frustration shared by many.

Perhaps a better and more on point counter would be to say more like ā€œtraditional manufacturers donā€™t ā€˜unveilā€™ a product and assert production timing until they have a reliable roadmap, but Tesla ā€˜unveilsā€™ arenā€™t like that and shouldnā€™t be confused.ā€ Though, GM ā€¦ :ROFLMAO:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Your message starts with :
"Really, Tesla sucks at sales"

And your message ends with :
"people would be lined up out the door for a couple years to buy it regardless."

I think they fail to make you feel warm and fuzzy, but they seem to have created the demand, and created the product. That seems good at sales to me.

To add, and I think this is more relevant than my comments,
Tom Zhu in the Q&A at Tesla Investor day. Timestamp 3:36:11 "we created a huge of demand, more than we can produce really"

Last edited:

Fugue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR FSD, camper van, CT3 FSD preordered
Occupation
Tech Industry Grunt
Country flag
Just you know, they don't need to do any yapping about the product. We do it for them.

-Crissa
I'm always pointing this out to people. Tesla doesn't advertise in the traditional sense. Yet the demand for their products is so high that they throttle it by changing prices. And they still have high margins.
Sponsored