Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I appreciate your perspective and observation, but I don't consider the side mirrors a "tiny" change because they are quite noticeable, and their functionality is constantly used while driving.
My amusement is not about who is right and who is wrong. It is that there is literally no change they could make to this which would not garner complaining. We’ve literally seen this feature gather complaints at every interval.
  • No Mirrors — We need physical mirrors and what about towing?
  • Big Mirrors — Those are big and hideous.
  • Small Mirrors — They are too small to be practical.
I suspect if they change them again people will complain about the new look as well.
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
First thing I learned with my first truck back in '86..... tonneau cover is a must. Everyone views an open truck bed as a trash can....
trash can when parked, trash distribution at freeway speeds.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
My amusement is not about who is right and who is wrong. It is that there is literally no change they could make to this which would not garner complaining. We’ve literally seen this feature gather complaints at every interval.
  • No Mirrors — We need physical mirrors and what about towing?
  • Big Mirrors — Those are big and hideous.
  • Small Mirrors — They are too small to be practical.
I suspect if they change them again people will complain about the new look as well.
different mirror options from Tesla or aftermarket for the different needs of different folks. Elon did mention the mirror could be removed?

Dave Dulski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
Odd that they aren't doing a 5'6" bed like most new quad cab configs? I don't want a mid size truck like a Rivian, but I'm getting tired of parking my RAM almost anywhere in Vancouver. Don't really want to get a longer truck than I have now.
I am so happy it is not going to be a Tonka toy truck like those 5’6 beds. What the can you do with them anyway? No offense.

Dave Dulski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
To me the video and all the pictures look good, except for the triangular side mirrors which look like pinocchio elf ears. Those triangular side mirrors are Yoooguly:

1677474643337.png

I like so much better the style of side mirrors they had on the slightly earlier pre-production version shown below:

1677473999348.png

One of the reasons I might be perceiving the triangle mirrors negatively (from this view anyway) is they have no edges parallel to any elements or lines in the truck behind them to which they're attached. But the more conventional style mirrors directly above have two edges appearing nearly parallel to both the side window top edge, and the side window back edge. To me this appears more cohesive with the truck lines while also providing more coverage in the outer parts of the mirrors.

- ÆCIII
These for sure are not the final product…. Tease, tease, tease, keep the conversation going. I like the bigger mirror also, but those would not be efficient.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
These for sure are not the final product…. Tease, tease, tease, keep the conversation going. I like the bigger mirror also, but those would not be efficient.
There's a balance to practical efficiency, and since this is a truck once you raise the suspension up to 16" in height, even the tire faces alone will introduce more drag anyway, but who cares, it's a truck. I'd gladly give up any bit of range to have the larger mirrors and overall, I don't think they're going to be a huge penalty on drag but instead a small tangible percentage. I don't think any range improvement offered by the triangular mirrors would ever be worth their other sacrifices in design. But others might think differently. I don't want to feel like an elf is greeting me whenever I get in my Cybertruck, and then feel like part of my side mirror is missing when I look through it. But you're correct in that we don't really know what the final production version is going to be.

You shouldn't have told me to "keep the conversation going." See - now I'm posting too much. Look I've already replied again below. I'm going to pause and just read for a while - didn't want that much attention actually :) .

- ÆCIII

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wonder what it would be like when social media was present when the el camino came out...

640px-1970_Chevrolet_El_Camino__20880995411_800x500_crop_center.jpg
Or even the Subaru Brat...

Tesla Cybertruck Aerial footage of Cybertruck driving!! 🚁 (w/ tonneau cover closed) 1677542283072

In reference to the Subaru Brat, a coworker once told me, "If they put some sh*t on a board and gave it a thick coat of varnish, somebody will buy it ..."

I didn't necessarily share his opinion, but still thought it was funny at the time.

- ÆCIII

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I am so happy it is not going to be a Tonka toy truck like those 5’6 beds. What the can you do with them anyway? No offense.
Carry an old school 5’ x 5’ sheet of Baltic birch? As if thise are available now…..😈

DallasCyberTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TOYOTA TUNDRA
Country flag
The mirrors don't matter, I'm going to remove mine as soon as I get the truck.

When Elon talks about doing many refinements to the Cybertruck I think he means the bumper. There is a huge panel gap between the fender and bumper, also it sticks out from the exoskeleton whereas the prototype has it flush.
In Texas:
If your driver's side view mirror is in place, you are NOT in violation of the state of Texas Transportation Code. In the state of Texas all motorists are required to have at least one operable side view mirror where the driver can see behind them.”

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
There's a balance to practical efficiency, and since this is a truck once you raise the suspension up to 16" in height, even the tire faces alone will introduce more drag anyway, but who cares, it's a truck. I'd gladly give up any bit of range to have the larger mirrors and overall, I don't think they're going to be a huge penalty on drag but instead a small tangible percentage. I don't think any range improvement offered by the triangular mirrors would ever be worth their other sacrifices in design. But others might think differently. I don't want to feel like an elf is greeting me whenever I get in my Cybertruck, and then feel like part of my side mirror is missing when I look through it. But you're correct in that we don't really know what the final production version is going to be.

You shouldn't have told me to "keep the conversation going." See - now I'm posting too much. Look I've already replied again below. I'm going to pause and just read for a while - didn't want that much attention actually :) .

- ÆCIII
Range penalty can be up to 10% on a EV. But you are also correct that vehicle height will have more effect. The protrusion of the mirrors can be visualised as being 3-4 times the size for drag which overall is considerable. Thats why many efficient vehicles try to keep them small and snug on the vehicle body to avoid creating turbulence and non-laminar flow further along the body. Other manufacturers use the mirrors to keep the side windows clear by directing airflow, and others use them as spoilers to change and optimise the flow of air elsewhere one the vehicle. The point is that they are aerodynamically significant overall.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
No wiper and triangular mirrors. It appears to have electrical issues on the passenger side.

The 3 amber lights below the valance suggest the truck is at least 80” wide. I love the truck from this angle…

7C563A6F-21FE-4A97-91A2-9181702D98F8.jpeg
Wiper is in view, pirate mode is used before entering the water and taking booty
Tesla Cybertruck Aerial footage of Cybertruck driving!! 🚁 (w/ tonneau cover closed) 04F9C9C2-4D68-4874-B1A1-35238328351B

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Range penalty can be up to 10% on a EV. But you are also correct that vehicle height will have more effect. The protrusion of the mirrors can be visualised as being 3-4 times the size for drag which overall is considerable. Thats why many efficient vehicles try to keep them small and snug on the vehicle body to avoid creating turbulence and non-laminar flow further along the body. Other manufacturers use the mirrors to keep the side windows clear by directing airflow, and others use them as spoilers to change and optimise the flow of air elsewhere one the vehicle. The point is that they are aerodynamically significant overall.
He meant the difference between the Alpha proto mirrors and the Beta proto mirrors, there will be some efficiency gain but it's not going to be anywhere near 10%, probably no more than 1-2%.