Air suspension in -40C

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Have heard most people remove air suspension systems in the far north because the valves freeze up. Similar to my F350 DEF tank that fails in the cold. Suspect Tesla Engineers have considered this. Sure don’t want my CT unable to shame my lame Ford!!!
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The only thing good about -40 °C is that it's easy to convert it to the equivalent °F. It is going to be hard on your CT too. If they had to design it primarily for a - 40 °C environment you wouldn't be able to afford it. I'm sure they are well aware that some will buy it intending to use it in such an environment but they are also aware that you hardy northerners are a very small part of their market. At times they have sold their cars with a "cold weather package" but that (seat warmers, heated steering wheel, windshield wiper defrosters) now seems to be standard on the X at least. If I lived where you do I would look into this further before taking delivery.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
My Citroen, using the technology of over a half-century ago, had its share of problems, but air-suspension function throughout many Canadian winters was not one of them.

kdn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Pre-ordered CT Tri Motor, F250, Toyota Tundra, Jeep Wrangler X, Toyota Camry
Occupation
Self employed Ice cream industry, Snow Plowing, Charter Fishing on the Great Lake Erie, Commercial Properties
Country flag
It's only cold 7 months out of the year!

OP
OP
SHorzy

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Snow is finally almost off the lake. Lol

seriously tho, design should and hopefully will be done using realistic ambient outdoor design conditions, with a buffer for climate change. It is getting hotter and colder everywhere!

Had an argument once with the design engineer that told me the building was fine when it couldn’t heat up. Told him it was -42c and he said it Can’t be! Design temp was -35! Ok....

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
Have heard most people remove air suspension systems in the far north because the valves freeze up. Similar to my F350 DEF tank that fails in the cold. Suspect Tesla Engineers have considered this. Sure don’t want my CT unable to shame my lame Ford!!!
I have worked on air suspensions for years and one item that is needed in a pneumatic system is a air dryer that removes moisture from the compressed air usually located after air compressor and before the supply tank. It is imperative that the moisture is not in tanks, lines , valves and air solenoids. I have seen valves freeze up on warm days doing a blow off of a tank. Most big rigs are running air brakes use them well below freezing (-30F ). Of course starting a big rig in that cold weather is tough, a lot of preheating or block heaters.

Last edited:

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Better than air in "air" suspension is nitrogen. No oxidation, corrosion, or condensation can occur because it's inert.

That's a proven idea, not a new one, and the extra cost would be negligible.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
GIven the multi-functional roll of the air pump on the cybertruck, I am going to assume they are using atmospheric air pumped thru filters and a dryer...

If not, you could go with a bottle of nitrogen and just move it around using the pump... but that really limits any multi-functionality of the pump.

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
GIven the multi-functional roll of the air pump on the cybertruck, I am going to assume they are using atmospheric air pumped thru filters and a dryer...

If not, you could go with a bottle of nitrogen and just move it around using the pump... but that really limits any multi-functionality of the pump.
I like nitrogen gas but it's just not convenient plus atmosphere air is plentiful. I am pretty sure a dryer type cartridge would be used and of course a air filter before the compressor. The dryer does have a maintenance cycle, if you have air compressor with a air tank at home, draining the tank at prescribed intervals are required to prevent internal rusting of tank. You have brought up a valid point about the pump size and it's possible uses. I know in the world of off-road tools a pump that can inflate 35" tires are expensive.
Sponsored