Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
My only concern about Baja is charging times and locations. They are going to need to add portable Superchargers all over the place to make it work.
I don't have specific sources or quotes to give but based on what I've been reading, my intuition says that the new 4680 cells will be able to charge much faster than Tesla has let on so far. Additionally, with the CT3 having over 500 miles of range (I know, in a Baja race actual range would be much shorter) it seems to me that the CT will be able to compete much better than anyone is imagining so far.

I do agree that there will be a need for portable superchargers and probably quite a few of them. But Tesla has the resources for that. I can totally imagine a number of trucks with portable chargers in the back being stationed at regular intervals along the race route. And since the support vehicles charging batteries can get fully charged before the start of the race, all they have to do is drive out to the various assigned charging locations and then wait for the competing CT to get to them. Once charged, they can head back to be used in the future at some other event. And if these portable charges were built as a packaged assembly, they could be moved from truck to truck. So between uses of the portable chargers, the trucks themselves could be doing other unrelated work. In fact, imagine if the support trucks were also CT3's. Say 20 CT3's drive out to the various charging spots along the route with full portable charging stations in the bed. 20 charging stations would give us an average of just 50 miles between charging stations. These could be stationed the night before if necessary. Then at the start of the race the 1 or 2 competing CT3's start the race at the appropriate time. As they reach each of the charging stops, they get topped up (say just to 80% so that the charging speed does not get diminished). Then they continue on to the next charging stop. Meanwhile, the CT that had the portable charging station in the back now takes a leisurely drive back to the start. Once the race is completed, the portable charging stations can be removed from the CT's and they can be sold, used for promo's, shown off, etc. Assuming the race judges require some modification to the CT3 in order to race (roll bars? will they be necessary?), the CT3 that competed could be repaired (surely there will be something that needs work) and then saved to be raced again. The portable chargers could be used in subsequent races too. And the support trucks could just be returned to whatever purpose they had before being used as a support truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
my intuition says that the new 4680 cells will be able to charge much faster than Tesla has let on so far.
I sure hope so, that would be a happy surprise. Just reducing tapering would be a huge improvement.

In fact, imagine if the support trucks were also CT3's
This would be fantastic for Tesla's roadside assistance vehicles. Instead of towing someone who runs out of juice, give them 10 minutes on the portable supercharger.

I was thinking more along the lines of what @Crissa posted.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
This would be fantastic for Tesla's roadside assistance vehicles. Instead of towing someone who runs out of juice, give them 10 minutes on the portable supercharger.

I was thinking more along the lines of what @Crissa posted.
I assume you are talking about this:

Yes, that might be possible. But a megapack would really be overkill. And getting semi's with full trailers out on the offroad track might be an issue. I could totally see Tesla building a smaller size battery (say something that fits in the back of a CT) to use for mobile charging of single vehicles. Imagine a AAA tow company owning one to go charge up electric vehicles with on a one-off basis. Or even offroad somewhere remote. Not a huge market now but when everyone is in EVs it might get a bit useful. AAA is currently used to bring gasoline to stranded motorists that ran out of gas on the side of the road. Same idea.

And if they have such a device, it would be really convenient to use in racing for things like Baja.

But what do I know? It's just my intuition speaking.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Baja track isn't that far from the highway. And is the highway in a few places. Big trucks go out there to the farms and to carry the trucks to their competition.

They just go alot slower.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
But a megapack would really be overkill. And getting semi's with full trailers out on the offroad track might be an issue.
They do have a fair number of waypoints near major highways.

Imagine a AAA tow company owning one to go charge up electric vehicles with on a one-off basis.
The CT3 already has a big battery and a 220v 30AMP outlet which would give a Model Y ~21 miles an hour. A little slow, but the truck would be a lot easier to drive and maintain than a full tow truck so might be worth it even without a separate high speed charger. If Tesla made a DC truck to Tesla power adaptor they could get 100kW right out of the truck battery.
Sponsored