Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Airless will be preferred on Mars. A given that they will be manufactured.

But I think they are a great idea for commercial use.. Who cares about road noise if you are an autonomous delivery vehicle.

But an essential item for commercial off the beaten track... If you're going to be using dirt roads with maybe sharp stones... it would be the preferred choice.

If the big companies suppress airless tyres, they will go the way of the Dodo, or the way of the Kodak when it invented and then shelved the digital camera.

Care about your tooling expenses all you want, the next guy is ready to step up.
Sponsored

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I just do not think for most passenger vehicles (ie, cars and trucks) that airless tires will ever make sense.
Weight, expense, heat, mud, etc... Yet they keep trying...
Any improvement to materials will then make an inflated tire (ie, the 'air' tire) better as well.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Tire design is a compromise. That is, making one aspect better will make another worse.

Airless design is well underway, notably by a Michelin division -- for combat vehicles.

Early civilian applications are expected to be for off-road machinery (many early farm-tractor tires were airless). Also, for anyone who wants a tire that's bulletproof (literally) in exchange for losing other features.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Airless will be preferred on Mars. A given that they will be manufactured.

But I think they are a great idea for commercial use.. Who cares about road noise if you are an autonomous delivery vehicle.

But an essential item for commercial off the beaten track... If you're going to be using dirt roads with maybe sharp stones... it would be the preferred choice.

If the big companies suppress airless tyres, they will go the way of the Dodo, or the way of the Kodak when it invented and then shelved the digital camera.

Care about your tooling expenses all you want, the next guy is ready to step up.
Most people who want tires for off road want performance which airless tires cannot deliver. An inflated tire is compliant with the surface it is on which improves grip and helps the suspension. These tires do not look at all compliant. Pretty sure they are asphalt only.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Not sure why "big tire" would suppress airless tires. As I stated earlier, airless tires are going to cost a lot more than "air'ed" tires. Especially in the beginning. If I need to replace my tires every (roughly) 30,000 miles, won't "Big Tire" want to sell me the $1000 tire instead of the $400 tire.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Not sure why "big tire" would suppress airless tires. As I stated earlier, airless tires are going to cost a lot more than "air'ed" tires. Especially in the beginning. If I need to replace my tires every (roughly) 30,000 miles, won't "Big Tire" want to sell me the $1000 tire instead of the $400 tire.
Agree

Somewhere I read companies may not want to make them because they would lose margin. Something like that. So I added my 5c lol