Adjustable ride height ramifications (tires and half shaft wear)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This story is missing the important pieces of information: How many miles and whether the tires were checked/rotated.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
I run winter tires from November through April so pretty much 5-6 months for winter and 6-7 months for summer. The I have a P90D with staggered summer wheels and non staggered winters. The rear tires definitely wear out faster than the fronts. OEM rears were down to the belts in 2 driving seasons (1 year and under 15k miles). I've replaced them with Continental DWS06 all seasons for greater tread life rating. I've replaced the rears three times more and have maybe 1 more season on the latest. I've replaced the fronts twice and they're looking okay. One of the rear replacements was after the first half shaft replacement, but before they recommended only driving in Low setting. I replaced them due to uneven tread wear and low inner tread.

I'm on my second set of winter tires, just replaced last winter. Some the summer wheels are staggered, I can only rotate them left and right and they're non-directional. The winters are non-directional so I rotate them as per normal rotation pattern. I store and swap my own tires annually and inspect them every season. I currently have 96k miles on the car.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Don't forget the CT geometry is different overall, it is wider, the suspension arms are longer, and the driveshafts are longer than other tesla models, all meaning that more suspension travel is possible without there being more angle on each joints.

So I expect there to be more of a range to adjust vehicle height in, that doesn't have such a negative affect on driveshaft reliability. Also being "off-road" means that it needs to have much better torque capability for uneven and difficult terrain, that cause's high dynamic loads on the various components.

The driveshaft angle is also why the Plaid does the Cheetah. So I'm seriously hoping they address this issue properly otherwise I'd expect a huge influx of failures, especially off-road.

This raises another question: Does the CT warranty cover "off-road" use, I know that a lot of insurance companies don't.
Sponsored