Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Looks like Ford is taking notes from giga-Texas with their "Mega-Sites"

https://insideevs.com/news/552740/f...0904178&csi=0&referrer=https://www.google.com

Blue Oval City - next-generation full-size pickup platform
The current Ford F-150 Lightning is closely related to the F-150 pickup. It has batteries within the frame area and drive units in the axle area, with some substantial modifications (new rear suspension, for example).

It appears to us that the future electric pickup from Ford will be much more different than conventional ones, as by the way of the Blue Oval City "mega-sites" in Tennessee (vehicle and battery production at one site), Ford will introduce also an all-new full-size pickup platform.
Sponsored

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Interesting. The F150 platform has years and years of refinement and is a well-designed, successful vehicle with a loyal customer base.

Why not just leave the F150 Lightning as your EV "engine" option? It seems like a strategic risk to move your EV Truck to a different platform. If the F150 owners want to move to a different platform, I would think they would just move to the CT.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Interesting. The F150 platform has years and years of refinement and is a well-designed, successful vehicle with a loyal customer base.

Why not just leave the F150 Lightning as your EV "engine" option? It seems like a strategic risk to move your EV Truck to a different platform. If the F150 owners want to move to a different platform, I would think they would just move to the CT.
Bolting an electric motor onto an ICE chassis results in an inefficient vehicle which means you have to spend more money and weight on batteries. In the case of a truck, you are already pushing around a huge battery which amplifies the problem.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bolting an electric motor onto an ICE chassis results in an inefficient vehicle which means you have to spend more money and weight on batteries. In the case of a truck, you are already pushing around a huge battery which amplifies the problem.
I figured it had to do with that. Still, I would rather see them switch the entire F150 platform to something more EV friendly than have a separate line for their EV trucks.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I figured it had to do with that. Still, I would rather see them switch the entire F150 platform to something more EV friendly than have a separate line for their EV trucks.
I don’t think they are going to have a ton of choice here.

If the F150 doesn’t move to EV, it won’t exist in 15 years.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think they are going to have a ton of choice here.

If the F150 doesn’t move to EV, it won’t exist in 15 years.
Oh I totally agree that all models need to shift to EV or fail.
My objection is to having their EV on a different platform than their tried and true F150 line. Shift the entire F150 line to a platform optimized for EVs if need be. Then You can get a F150 in a v8, v6, diesel, and EV until the market fully shifts to EV.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Still a body on frame design. I don't see any innovation in this design at all. In order to catch up some originality needs to take place. If Ford could show one new and original idea I will be impressed. 600,000 EV units is the projection for 2023? Did I read that correctly? I really do want to see Ford succeed but I don't like embellishment. But then again I believed the CT and roadster would be hitting the streets by now.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The current Ford F-150 Lightning is closely related to the F-150 pickup. It has batteries within the frame area and drive units in the axle area, with some substantial modifications (new rear suspension, for example).
As long as they don't mess with all the BUTTONS. Real trucks MUST have BUTTONS!

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Seriously? Have you not seen the power fold down Shifter and foldout workspace? How have we lived without this? :)

1638925483755.gif
I find that feature awesome since the CT will be a mobile office when I wish to work by cliffs or beaches when the office thinks I am in my home office.

Except one thing, the surface is not practical to shift my body and work to the side.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
I am looking to spend a day every now and again while setting something somewhat ergonomic. Plus, battery heat on legs is annoying. My truck will act as a third office.
Sponsored