All Season tires in Florida (Model Y Perf)

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Hey All,

It's coming up to tire replacement time for my MYP and I've been searching for tire options. I ran into these lovely Falkens:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...22&autoModel=Model Y Performance&autoModClar=

They would save me close to $1K and the wear rating is double the OEM tires. The feedback for use on a MYP is generally positive.

I don't want to compromise safety though.

To that point, in Florida I've always purchased Summer tires and I know they are generally recommended for this region. Does anyone have any experience with All Seasons in a hot and wet climate? Is the difference with summer tires significant?

Probably a stupid question... but asking anyway. šŸ˜œ

Thanks!
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hey All,

It's coming up to tire replacement time for my MYP and I've been searching for tire options. I ran into these lovely Falkens:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=Azenis+FK460+A/S&frontTire=535YR1FK460ASXL&rearTire=735YR1FK460ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Model Y Performance&autoModClar=

They would save me close to $1K and the wear rating is double the OEM tires. The feedback for use on a MYP is generally positive.

To that point, in Florida I've always purchased Summer tires and I know they are generally recommended for this region. Does anyone have any experience with All Seasons in a hot and wet climate? Is the difference with summer tires significant?

Thanks!
You may want to ask the question on one of the other Tesla forums that focus on the other Tesla vehicles, not just the Cybertruck.

The factors that you generally want to look at when getting tires:
  • Hardness / Rolling resistance (harder is better range
  • Ride, is it soft or hard
  • Is it load rated appropriately. The Model Y is a slightly heavier tire
  • Your driving habits. Fast acceleration eats any tire
If you don't mind less range, it you want a softer ride, if you don't accelerate much, then your choice will be different than the factory tires.

And generally, the first set of tires on a Tesla are going to have the least life, you gotta show off the car!

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I think a set of OEM 21ā€ replacement tires runs around $2500 on a YP. The asymmetrical wheels/tires donā€™t help with normal tire rotations. You can only go from side to side.

The sacrifices we make for 0-60 in 3.5 secondsšŸ˜

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
You may want to ask the question on one of the other Tesla forums that focus on the other Tesla vehicles, not just the Cybertruck.

The factors that you generally want to look at when getting tires:
  • Hardness / Rolling resistance (harder is better range
  • Ride, is it soft or hard
  • Is it load rated appropriately. The Model Y is a slightly heavier tire
  • Your driving habits. Fast acceleration eats any tire
If you don't mind less range, it you want a softer ride, if you don't accelerate much, then your choice will be different than the factory tires.

And generally, the first set of tires on a Tesla are going to have the least life, you gotta show off the car!
Thanks. Yeah, but I know some of the folks here and trust their opinions more.

Aware of the different factors, mostly looking to understand the impact of All Seasons vs Summer tires on wet handling and their use in Florida in general.

thanks.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I think a set of OEM 21ā€ replacement tires runs around $2500 on a YP. The asymmetrical wheels/tires donā€™t help with normal tire rotations. You can only go from side to side.

The sacrifices we make for 0-60 in 3.5 secondsšŸ˜
Indeed. I think I can do it for about $2K for OEM or equivalent tires. I used to think $250-$300 a corner was expensive! Try $500!

The Falken All Seasons though are tempting. Just the all season vs summer thing concerns me.

Iā€™m also considering either going wider than stock (which gives you slightly more sidewall for improved ride and also rim protection) or even up to 40s (from 35s) which some have done and claim there is no rubbing. The ride is improved even further, albeit with some loss in responsiveness. Of course, this impacts the accuracy of the speedometer so at most I think Iā€™d only consider going for wider which impacts the speedometer only slightly.

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
Indeed. I think I can do it for about $2K for OEM or equivalent tires. I used to think $250-$300 a corner was expensive! Try $500!

The Falken All Seasons though are tempting. Just the all season vs summer thing concerns me.

Iā€™m also considering either going wider than stock (which gives you slightly more sidewall for improved ride and also rim protection) or even up to 40s (from 35s) which some have done and claim there is no rubbing. The ride is improved even further, albeit with some loss in responsiveness. Of course, this impacts the accuracy of the speedometer so at most I think Iā€™d only consider going for wider which impacts the speedometer only slightly.
I have a MY Pā€¦.. what size are the Falkens with the wider tread? No rubbing I presume?

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I have a MY Pā€¦.. what size are the Falkens with the wider tread? No rubbing I presume?
It seems to be a common option among enthusiasts at least to move the MYP rear tire size to the front and go to 295/35/21 on the rears.

Here is a discussion about options:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...ence-michelin-as4s-with-photos.280122/page-25

They are comparing stock to rears of 195/35 and rears of 195/40 (with matching fronts as 175s). Clearly the 40s will impact speedometer a lot more.

People report no rubbing with the 40s so definitely nothing with the 195/35.

Multiple sizes for the Falken but I would probably do the 295/35 rear and the 275/35 on the front. Pretty much it will be between the Falken's or a summer tire like the Pirelli PZeros in the same sizes.

So I've decided to go wider for the better ride and rim protection, just All Seasons vs Summer is the open question.

Here are the Falken's, still figuring out the exact Pirelli's.

Tesla Cybertruck All Season tires in Florida (Model Y Perf) 1706988528068

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think you meant to say with asymmetrical tires you can only go from front to back.

In any case, I always only rotate tires from front to back and back to front, even if they don't have asymmetrical tread patterns. I get very even wear doing this. Modern car suspensions, especially the 5 link like I have on our Model 3s tend to wear the tread very evenly from side to side so there is not much point to rotating them in an "X" pattern.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Hey All,

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=Azenis+FK460+A/S&frontTire=535YR1FK460ASXL&rearTire=735YR1FK460ASXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2022&autoModel=Model Y Performance&autoModClar=

Thanks!
I have had Falken Ziex tires on my DeLorean in Florida since 2015. They have been great and I would buy Falkens again.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I have had Falken Ziex tires on my DeLorean in Florida since 2015. They have been great and I would buy Falkens again.
Thanks! Do you daily drive the DeLorean? Driven it in heavy rain much? Just curious why you went with All Seasons rather than summer tires?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Thanks! Do you daily drive the DeLorean? Driven it in heavy rain much? Just curious why you went with All Seasons rather than summer tires?
I do not daily drive the car, but I did drive it in heavy rain. On this car, finding proper matching tire sizes is a challenge, so thatā€™s why I chose all seasons.

Iā€™ve learned in the Florida heat, some high performance tires come with the downside of soft rubber compounds, which makes them wear faster. So, I pay attention to mileage warranty when I compare tires. The higher the better.
For example on my Camaro SS, after replacing the soft OEM spec Pirellis twice prematurely, I went with Z rated Continentals with a higher mileage rating.

OP
OP

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I do not daily drive the car, but I did drive it in heavy rain. On this car, finding proper matching tire sizes is a challenge, so thatā€™s why I chose all seasons.

Iā€™ve learned in the Florida heat, some high performance tires come with the downside of soft rubber compounds, which makes them wear faster. So, I pay attention to mileage warranty when I compare tires. The higher the better.
For example on my Camaro SS, after replacing the soft OEM spec Pirellis twice prematurely, I went with Z rated Continentals with a higher mileage rating.
Thanks, really appreciate the feedback.

yeah, the wear rating and the mileage warranty. Double the wear rating and also mileage warranty for the Falken All Seasons vs Pirellis Summers.

Going to try to gather a bit more feedback on the All Seasons, if it looks good itā€™s a no-brainer. Almost half the cost and double the potential lifeā€¦. I do like to have a little fun, but mostly I drive like the middle aged man I am. I donā€™t need ultra mega high performance. šŸ˜œ
Sponsored