Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Call me when they get 1.2 million pre-orders..........until then I'm underwhelmed.
Need to walk before you can swim.

Nobody has seen this vehicle drive.

Until someone outside of Alpha can actually get their hands behind the wheel, this is a non-product.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So Alpha has gone from renders to a fancy mock up

I have to say this is an impressive looking mock up. (Not made of cardboard and tape like the Cyberlandr one). I'd buy one. Well if they got rid of the brush guards, unneeded lights, and roll bar which add a bunch of drag to little benefit for most people.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
LOL. At 5:02

Well, it’s going to be a body on frame construction. Like a proper truck.
A supposed dig at CT construction? But I hear that as an inferior construction. Guess I’ve been around CT info too much at this point for a body on frame to be an advantage anymore.

I did agree with his comment though about being surprised at the size. The tenders gave me the impression it would be a bit smaller.

Style wise, I really like the look. Enjoy all the extra equipment hanging on the body. But beyond the looks, I just see drag and lose all interest in purchasing one.

I hope they get made but I think it will be a very niche vehicle at best. Perhaps I’ll get to drive one at some point. But my personal vehicle will still be a CT.

Oh, and at 1:02.

Alpha is taking no money down deposits.
What does this mean? How do you make a deposit with no money down? Makes me think they want an alternative to currency. Like at a blood bank.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A small confession...

If I were buying a new ICE truck right now I'd look long and hard at the Ridgeline. Lots of neat ideas in that little truck. I have a rare need to tow large things, but I'm not buying a truck based on a thing I do once a year. (Though I would be super happy if the Cybertruck can handle it I'm not sure it will)

I have no love of any particular way of building a thing so long as it does the job I need done. If someone figured out how to make a super efficient truck using body on frame I'd be interested in that.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Some of the reviews seem to make it sound like the transmission in the Ridgeline is a little weak - perhaps under-cooled.

But yeah, I think it's pretty handsome.

I'd be looking at the Mavrick, myself, if I had to go ICE. We don't have alot of space.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I just noticed on the upper corner of the video splash it says "Tesla Cybertruck Or THIS?".

I'm a bit flummoxed at that because the two are pretty far apart in terms of functionality. They both have truck beds and are electric, but that's about the end of the similarities. Size, passengers, design, value... all radically different.

I couldn't see this as anything other than a toy and the $36k price doesn't exactly scream value next to the Cybertruck.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hmm. Instead of entering the market with a very expensive model and growing into a lower cost model as Tesla did. Or entering with low cost compact cars and growing into more expensive models, Japanese style. Alpha will produce a low cost, expensive pickup. This pickup truck will have expensive tires, expensive frame, expensive additional lights etc. Alpha will either lose a ton of money per vehicle or never make that pickup truck. I predict the latter.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
So Alpha has gone from renders to a fancy mock up

I have to say this is an impressive looking mock up. (Not made of cardboard and tape like the Cyberlandr one). I'd buy one. Well if they got rid of the brush guards, unneeded lights, and roll bar which add a bunch of drag to little benefit for most people.
You are spot-on trend toward downsized, Sport and truck.

Wolf mockup benchmarks Alpha’s rugged confidence and stylistic aesthetic communicated in the marque’s rugged individualism. It’s squarely aimed at the Toyota Hilux -1 buyer more in need of affordable, electric truck ruggedized to Sport perspective for whom a mini truck fits the bill.

Bolt-on lightbars, bullbar, Sportbar and 90’s nerfbars do not a brand make. It’s a design that has price pressure and no room in the $30k range with a fullsize base Cybertruck sitting @$ 39k. Alpha must design its pickup-in-sheep clothing out of that No-man’s Land beneath Cybertruck and Lightning.

Few will spend $30k when $10k+ buys a real fullsize pickup. A FORD Maverick with bolt-on lightbars, bullbar, Sportbar and 90’s nerfbars evaporates Alpha’s business case altogether. Alpha design studio can’t leave the door wide open to be so easily crushed in the downsizing-for-dollars move coming.

Alpha @$36k is a non-starter with only $4000.00 to own a fullsize pickup. Alpha has to find that mini market VW Rabbit and pu carved out, Subaru pu created and Datsun pu early years formed out of sheer value for the dollar.

Made-in-America rugged individualism is at stake. Can Alpha translate it into a brand? When marquèd success by German engineering, Japanese luv of outdoors and keiretsu industrialization rode to world acclaim on “fit and trim“ and superior engineering skill at miniaturization. Alpha need demonstrate acclaim beyond bolt on work by others

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Alpha @$36k is a non-starter with only $4000.00 to own a fullsize pickup.
I'm not entirely sure about this. I'd pay $36k for a slightly smaller version of the Cybertruck in a heartbeat. For me, the convenience of not dealing with the full size form factor would be worth it. I could see a lot of people feeling similarly.

But I wouldn't give up autopilot, Tesla's slick console with remote integration, amazing sound system, OTA updates, and their eco system. I know some folks would be happy with a car with no console and an AM/ FM radio with cassette player but that doesn't cut it with me.

Also, personally I want at least 4 useful seats for adults. That means it'll be the crew cab version of this which will be significantly more expensive than the base CT which is a giant Nope.

On the other hand, if you added the $7,500 incentive, you are looking at $29k for this and $32k for the Cybertruck. I could see people buying either for fairly light use at that price.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hmm. Instead of entering the market with a very expensive model and growing into a lower cost model as Tesla did. Or entering with low cost compact cars and growing into more expensive models, Japanese style. Alpha will produce a low cost, expensive pickup. This pickup truck will have expensive tires, expensive frame, expensive additional lights etc. Alpha will either lose a ton of money per vehicle or never make that pickup truck. I predict the latter.
It's a bit of a catch-22.

The truck is interesting *because* it looks like a tricked out 1984 Toyota 4WD. If it didn't look like that, it wouldn't get the media it has gotten.

Personally, this would be more interesting to me as a revisit of the cheap mini truck for the EV era. A basic model for $25k - $29k looking just like the basic 1984 Toyota. With incentives it would be irresistible as a starter truck or small work truck. As you suggest, there are a lot of accessories on this that add to the price in a hurry.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
On the other hand, if you added the $7,500 incentive, you are looking at $29k for this and $32k for the Cybertruck. I could see people buying either for fairly light use at that price.
I like what Alpha did, that brand’s got game. Wolf’s Raptor-sized wheel arches completely tie-in to American automotive, rugged individualism and a wealth that the rest of the world aspires to emulate. Alpha types will want to own a piece of it buying into the Alpha brand, model and style that best suits their life.

I see what Alpha did there. It’s trying to orthogonally scale what FORD did with Bronco. It is going across all lines as a standalone lifestyle brand. Without an established Raptor marque and no loyalty to a Bronco-like model its a vertical wall ascent.

Alpha is a pure lifestyle play. Its “rugged individualism”, an American currency devaluing in a world in geopolitical transition, poignantly faster than Afghanistan.

It has 3D manufacturing. It can pop-up factories around the world. It can relocate or transfer talent and technology. It walks its own rugged individualism. Alpha may be scrappy enough to find its feet, a formula and means to grow into big wall American EV markets.

First, Alpha need to climb lesser heights, easier routes and partner up uncharted ascents. Its a starter EV for under 30-somethings in US - a niche better than nothing in an exploding sector.

Alpha needs to find scrappy climbing buddies. Pick its mission, an objective, plan a route and provision for the worst. No one is going to free-solo the USA BEV market after Elon’s Tesla team success.

Weather changed from bright lazy afternoon with hot sales showers to cloudy thunder and possible crosswinds dropping into small sales in lower market niches.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Alpha is back at the dream building exercises! At this rate, they are going to have a whole portfolio of imaginary vehicles.

Alpha Motors Saga Estate Debuts In Renderings Of Retro-Tinged Wagon
The frunk and rear cargo area would offer a total storage capacity of 35 cubic feet.
alpha-motor-saga-estate-side.jpg

Jan 04, 2022 at 9:14am ET
By: Chris Bruce

Alpha Motors has renderings of yet another EV that it intends eventually to offer. This time, it's the Saga Estate that adapts the brand's planned sedan into a station wagon.

The Saga Estate takes the standard model and extends the roof. There's still plenty of style, though, because Alpha uses an arching top and steeply angled hatchback. The result is an attractive, vaguely retro wagon. In the renderings, a roof rack holds a surfboard. The images below show the wagon and Saga sedan side by side.
alpha-motor-saga-estate-side.jpg

Alpha Motors Saga Estate
alpha-saga-electric-sedan-side.jpg

Alpha Motors Saga

The Saga Estate's powertrain would consist of electric motors powering the front and rear axle. An 85-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery would provide an estimated range of 300 miles (482.8 kilometers). The system would run at 450 volts and could recoup 80 percent of the charge in one hour on DC power. Alpha estimates the wagon could hit 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in 6.3 seconds.

Here's What Else Alpha Motors Plans To Build:
â €
alpha-motors-superwolf.jpg
Alpha Motors Superwolf Looks Ready For Off-Road EV Adventure

â €
alpha-motors-wolf-cloudbreak-side-view.jpg
Alpha Motors Unveils Sweet Camping Set Up For Its Wolf+ EV Pickup

Alpha Motors estimates the Saga Estate would have a total cargo volume in its frunk and rear section of 35 cubic feet (991.1 liters), versus 20 cubic feet (566.3 liters) for the regular model. The rest of the interior carries over with a digital instrument cluster and infotainment screen. The HVAC controls are old-school knobs.

Gallery: Alpha Motor Saga Estate
alpha-motor-saga-estate.jpg

51 Photos
alpha-motor-saga-estate-front-corner.jpg

The automaker intends to offer an optional package that would make the Saga Estate more rugged. It would increase the ride height and add front and rear bumper reinforcements.

DimensionSaga EstateSaga
Length191 inches185 inches
Width78 inches75 inches
Height57 inches57 inches
Weight4,520 pounds4,200 pounds
Cargo Space35 cubic feet20 cubic feet

Alpha doesn't say when the Saga Estate goes into production. The company is accepting reservations for the model now. It estimates prices to be between $45,000 to $55,000

The first production model from Alpha Motors will be the Wolf pickup. The company plans to launch it in the fourth quarter of 2023. Pricing should be between $36,000 to $46,000.
Source: Alpha Motors

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Crazy thing here. Tesla tries to simplify production by making various models where everything is identical except for numbers of motors or size of the battery pack. Alpha, on the other hand, is showing multiple vehicles where the various levels of each vehicle have different sizes, specs, etc. That is just complicating production!

For instance, why are these numbers different?

DimensionSaga EstateSaga
Length191 inches185 inches
Width78 inches75 inches

With these differences, you practically need 2 separate production lines in order to get the two models. Different length and width most likely mean different frames. Different frames mean everything on the line needs to either be double calibrated for placement in slightly different locations or two different lines need to be created with slightly different calibrations on all placements.

It all looks nice in the drawings. It also looks like a nightmare in the factory.
Sponsored