First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS, Chevrolet Uplander
Country flag
A interesting survival solution...

I made a quick search on the forums here for Prepper/Survival related comments, I did not find much at the time so I offer this thread.

I did see Elon Musk (EM henceforth)comments regarding being "A leader in post apocalyptic technology. I assumed this was EM's amusing sense of humor, but I quickly realized the potential the Cybertruck (CT) has.

So in this post I would like to discuss some of the negative and positive potential the CT has as a Survival Related Vehicle (SRV) for when the "Sh1t hits the fan" (SHTF).
Now I completely understand why there may not be many prepper comments here (and yes I understand that I am generalizing "prepper" into a broader "survival" context) as many preppers tend to reserve disclosing their preparation plans for disastrous (SHTF) events to others for good reasons. My initial post intent was to address this as more of a prepper "emergency" use SRV, and less as recreational "survival" uses. I want to discuss the potential features that could be integrated into the CT platform to improve/enhance its SRV abilities. I will discuss potential Tesla Power Wall application/integration also.

It was obvious from the start how useful as a SRV the CT could be, Bullet resistant exterior, high ground clearance(includes off-road capabilities),integrated solar re-charging, portable electric power (AC), secure covered storage, quiet HVAC. Some detractors are overall range, the size of the CT, general dependence on electronics. With the addition of run-flat tires and a durable brush-guard(and maybe powered winch) its SRV SHTF capabilities are improved.

It would be cool if Tesla offered a SRV options package on the CT providing some options that would be useful to campers and hunters as well.

So let's start.

Ponder these Ideas for now and let us know in this thread of any other SRV or prepper specific feedback and/or suggestions

Your mission, Elon, should you decide to accept it... As always, Should you or any of your CT Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions... this thread will self-destruct in 3,2,1... Goodluck
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Froman

Froman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Run-flat tires as a factory option. They could be purchased aftermarket, but I dont want to store a original set of large tires or hassle with reselling used tires.

Another feature I would like to see hardened electric/electronics on the CT. Having some protections against solar events such as Coronal Mass ejections and/or EMP radiation. I do wonder if the Tesla Armored Glass (aluminum oxynitride glass) of the CT will offer any benefits as an effective Faraday Shield, or if more "hardening" of the electronics would be necessary. Also I am unsure how an exposed (not Hardened) solar panel will suffer from a prolonged CME event (one lasting weeks or months).

OP
OP
Froman

Froman

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another option would involve a purpose built Tesla Power Wall with semi-portable "hybrid" batteries(not under development AFAIK).
This Tesla PowerWall portable (PWP) would consist of a Permanent powerwall mount with 2 batteries, one battery is detachable.
The main battery pack is permanently mounted to a permanent wall mount with this cell pack utilizing the 4860 Iron based cells (IC) as part of the PWP unit. The second Cell pack mounts to the PWP but is removable and utilizes the 4860 High Nickel based cells (HNC-P). This portable HNC unit could be quickly removed from the PWP and quickly and easily installed into the CT underbed bin storage (UBS)(assuming there are factory ordered quick mounts and hardware hookups pre-installed into the UBS). The HNC-P can be designed to fit snug into the UBS and the cooling vents/connections are also built into the UBS. I can see two advantages to the HNC-P, the first is safety, extended climate control(heat/cool) if vehicle becomes stranded. Secondly the extension of CT range (mileage) in an emergency situation (likely SHTF, otherwise the HNC-P should be assumed connected to the PWP). Hopefully offering a few hundred miles of extra range. When reaching your "Bugout" location, the HNC-P can then be mounted into another PWP unit (a PWP unit minus the HNC-P unit located at an OFF/ON the grid "bugout" location to provide power to that property). This would allow the PWP to charge the HNC-P to store/use excess energy at that destination and provide a Emergency-ready status to the HNC-P. Once recharged, the HNC-P may be used for future emergencies and/or times when an extended operational range is required.
The HNC-P will likely be heavy (and may only be a temporary battery option depending on design).

The HNC-P could also be useful when on a vacation and/or long trip when the extra safety/security of an emergency backup is good peace of mind (i.e. across long desert expanses or thru wintery mountains). Or maybe designed as a semi-permanent solution to battery range(and recharged thru the CT standard charging port).

I suggest EM Call this the "Tesla Powerwall Predator" because it sounds cool, or "Tesla Powerwall Portable" or just "Tesla Powerwall P"

I have several other ideas to contribute here but not enough time right now to express them all. I plan to share those ideas in this thread soon, and expand on some I've already discussed.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Hmmmmm what makes a good prepper vehicle.
-Offroad
-Good gas mileage/able to use multiple sources of fuel
-Large enough for sleeping in/bringing you supplies
-easily fixable if broken
-tuff/able to take abuse
-can be used as a generator or be used to turn/power things
- weather resistant
Emp/solar flares is in my opinion one of those things preppers love to talk about but isnt a threat.

That's about about all i can think of right now. I'll add my random ranking.
Let's see what CT is good at.

-will be very good at offroad stuff, 100/100
-electricity is pretty easy to get and make so good there. But I guess since it has only 1 source even though u can use multiple sources to make it. so ill mark down some points 80/100
-its large for sure and lockable bed is huge also 7500 lb capacity is bonkers. 100/100
-will be a while before parts are easy to get and many electronic parts and software reliant. Wont be easy to fix alone. 20/100
-so far it seems extremely tuff and I would bet that will over engineer it, at least i hope so, but many unknowns about mechanisms and reliability. So I'll give tuff/take abuse 95/100
-built in 120v power! can probably easily jack up the back and use the rotating tires to run a makeshift generator or whatever else. 100/100 or opposite, use a water wheel or something to regen and charge
-another unsure thing but should be built very well. And is stainless, Elon jokes about making it float so I'm betting weather resistance will be amazing 95/100

I'm hard pressed to find much else to ask from a prepper vehicle.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
My largest issues as a SHTF vehicle is when the power fails for any length of time you soon have a large brick. Now that goes for any ICE vehicle too as if you can’t pump gas from a tank it won’t go very far. You can only store so much fuel at home. Unless you have your own roof-type solar system the solar tonneau cover won’t provide much useful power beyond short drives.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My largest issues as a SHTF vehicle is when the power fails...
...Isn't that the fate of all vehicles?

Gasoline pumps need electricity to function, trucks to ship it in, etc.

At least with electric you can charge off of whatever your generator is, be it solar, wind, hydro, or carbon based.

-Crissa

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
...Isn't that the fate of all vehicles?

Gasoline pumps need electricity to function, trucks to ship it in, etc.
-Crissa
I pointed that out further down the paragraph. Both types will be locked in place sooner or later unless you have your own electrical generation. Solar is much better for longer term survival situations. Gasoline is stable for a set amount of time and you can only store a limited amount safely at home. Natural gas generators won’t last long if the infrastructure collapses or we have a total societal failure. Only a whole-house solar system can resupply the Power Wall long term as a stand alone system.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
My largest issues as a SHTF vehicle is when the power fails for any length of time you soon have a large brick. Now that goes for any ICE vehicle too as if you can’t pump gas from a tank it won’t go very far. You can only store so much fuel at home. Unless you have your own roof-type solar system the solar tonneau cover won’t provide much useful power beyond short drives.
True but ~15 miles of charge a day is more range than you can get when pumps stop working, lol. If someone is serious for a SHTF situation, a multi-fuel generator is going to be on the list and could be used in a pinch to help charge the CT up as well. The bed could also store several additional portable solar panels. The CT can not only provided mobility but also shelter and also become a mobile power storage unit. Kind of amazing really. ~15mils of range from a solar tonneau cover per day can add up to quite a bit if you hunker down for a week or more.

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I made a quick search on the forums here for Prepper/Survival related comments, I did not find much at the time so I offer this thread.

I did see Elon Musk (EM henceforth)comments regarding being "A leader in post apocalyptic technology. I assumed this was EM's amusing sense of humor, but I quickly realized the potential the Cybertruck (CT) has.

So in this post I would like to discuss some of the negative and positive potential the CT has as a Survival Related Vehicle (SRV) for when the "Sh1t hits the fan" (SHTF).
Now I completely understand why there may not be many prepper comments here (and yes I understand that I am generalizing "prepper" into a broader "survival" context) as many preppers tend to reserve disclosing their preparation plans for disastrous (SHTF) events to others for good reasons. My initial post intent was to address this as more of a prepper "emergency" use SRV, and less as recreational "survival" uses. I want to discuss the potential features that could be integrated into the CT platform to improve/enhance its SRV abilities. I will discuss potential Tesla Power Wall application/integration also.

It was obvious from the start how useful as a SRV the CT could be, Bullet resistant exterior, high ground clearance(includes off-road capabilities),integrated solar re-charging, portable electric power (AC), secure covered storage, quiet HVAC. Some detractors are overall range, the size of the CT, general dependence on electronics. With the addition of run-flat tires and a durable brush-guard(and maybe powered winch) its SRV SHTF capabilities are improved.

It would be cool if Tesla offered a SRV options package on the CT providing some options that would be useful to campers and hunters as well.

So let's start.

Ponder these Ideas for now and let us know in this thread of any other SRV or prepper specific feedback and/or suggestions

Your mission, Elon, should you decide to accept it... As always, Should you or any of your CT Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions... this thread will self-destruct in 3,2,1... Goodluck
I just wanted to comment on the picture of the German Shepherd. My Shepherd is now 11 years old and his "Wheels" are not what they used to be. Currently he rides in the backseat of my 06 Tacoma because he is no longer able to jump onto the tailgate and truck bed. One feature of the CyberTruck that caught my eye is the ramp tailgate? Can hardly wait to see if that feature returns my buddy "Santino" back to the glory of riding in the truck bed.

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag

So let's start.

1) UPTIS/TWEEL tires ( if one cannot afford or wait for this then use a good 'puncture foam"-- "Project Farm" on youtube does fantastic videos on comparing/competing various brands, including tire foam, against each other.
2) various items of Military gear - quality and longevity.
3) Solar panels/equipment.
4) magnifying glass/hand mirror or Ferro rod, even learn the old tecniques of fire starting.
5) snare wire, crossbow, fishing rod....
6) electric chainsaw, hand saw, axe....

Avoid any and all "grid tied" equipment INCLUDING the "Powerwall" ( I enquired - when it first came out-and was told that it needs to get back in touch with the grid/internet after being offline for x-amount of time, but this may have changed now.)
Sponsored