Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1) UPTIS/TWEEL tires ( if one cannot afford or wait for this then use a good 'puncture foam"-- "Project Farm" on youtube does fantastic videos on comparing/competing various brands, including tire foam, against each other.
2) various items of Military gear - quality and longevity.
3) Solar panels/equipment.
4) magnifying glass/hand mirror or Ferro rod, even learn the old tecniques of fire starting.
5) snare wire, crossbow, fishing rod....
6) electric chainsaw, hand saw, axe....

Avoid any and all "grid tied" equipment INCLUDING the "Powerwall" ( I enquired - when it first came out-and was told that it needs to get back in touch with the grid/internet after being offline for x-amount of time, but this may have changed now.)
Would a gas or propane generator recharge the battery on the CT or other Tesla?
How long would a 3,000 watt generator take to recharge the 240 mile range CT for example?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Sure. Teslas can be set to charge from very small sources.

A 3kW generator... If that's peak, you probably can only manage 2kW. There's overhead, and assumption of what your Wh/mi is, but probably 6mi/hr charging.

-Crissa

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
How long would a 3,000 watt generator take to recharge the 240 mile range CT for example?
Yep, but if it has/ is a "floating neutral" generator it won't charge any EV (any generator that is a "floating neutral" WON'T charge an EV) , so to solve this minor hiccup you can either buy or make a "bonding plug"--making one is very easy--there are videos on youtube on how to make one and use it. People have tried to charge EVs with "floating neutral" generators and the charger/ EV doesnt allow it so they do the bonding plug method and VOILA it works.

You can check out Mark Myers' "How to Use a Gas Generator to Charge Your Tesla/EV/RV" on youtube. I do not exactly agree on HIS makeshift bonding plug, but it worked and shows the basic idea.

How long to charge your battery? Others may know better than I but energy scrooginess would be of the utmost importance and deisel generators are the best.

There are some OFF-GRID microinverters wherein you can plug in 4 solar panels then get 120v at up to 10 amps power, but then you could use 8-16...panels slapped into a joiner box and potentially get 120v at 20/30/40 amps or 240v at half the above amps... --yes this would take awhile but it would far outlast a gas, propane or deisel generator.

This is why I hope Tesla will put in an MC4 solar port connection (MC4s are the connectors for solar panels) and one can then plug in any/a certain amount of panels and get some power.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The grounded-ness of your generator is unrelated to this conversation.

And we don't know the battery size or consumption of the Cybertruck. We can only make assumptions.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
My largest issues as a SHTF vehicle is when the power fails for any length of time you soon have a large brick. Now that goes for any ICE vehicle too as if you can’t pump gas from a tank it won’t go very far. You can only store so much fuel at home. Unless you have your own roof-type solar system the solar tonneau cover won’t provide much useful power beyond short drives.
theoretically you could jack up the back, and use something
(a water wheel? human hamster weal? rope wrapped around the wheel with a heavy weight on it? etc.) to rotate the wheels, thus trick the truck to thinking its coasting, engaging regen

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yep, but if it has/ is a "floating neutral" generator it won't charge any EV (any generator that is a "floating neutral" WON'T charge an EV) , so to solve this minor hiccup you can either buy or make a "bonding plug"--making one is very easy--there are videos on youtube on how to make one and use it. People have tried to charge EVs with "floating neutral" generators and the charger/ EV doesnt allow it so they do the bonding plug method and VOILA it works.
What you should do an what you are likely to do are probably different things. The charger in the vehicle wants to be sure that the vehicle is earthed before charging. As EVSE does not use neutral (white) it looks for 120 V between hot (black or red) and earth (green). In a properly wired building earth and neutral are connected at the "service entrance" and Bob's your uncle. In the majority of applications generators should not have earth (the frame) and neutral (the center tap on the stator) bonded and most generators are shipped these days with them not connected. A charger will not see 120 V between the frame and hot and the charger won't operate. The solution, obviously, is to connect the neutral to the frame and there are various places one can do that. The simplest is probably to short the two pins in a plug which you put into one outlet on the generator when you plug your EVSE into another. You could also make up a short extension cord with the two pins interconnected at either end but the simple plug would be easier to make and be cheaper.

With this plug in place you have fooled the vehicle into thinking it is grounded. It isn't, of course, but it will charge. What you should do to be safe is properly ground it. To do this you would moisten a patch of ground, drive a ground rod into it an then tie that to the generator's frame via the lug provided for that purpose.

By the way, DO NOT plug your charge cord INTO the bonding plug use a seperate receptacle and PLUG up the female receivers of the bonding plug with caulking or glue or....
I'm confused by this. The bonding plug is just a plug with male pins only. But were the bonding plug on one end of an extension cord there wouldn't be any reason the EVSE shouldn't be plugged into the other.

There are some OFF-GRID microinverters wherein you can plug in 4 solar panels then get 120v at up to 10 amps power, ...
Popular for the outdoor crowd today is the portable lithium ion battery pack. These range from 500 Wh through 1 kWh (Jackery) and up to 6 kWh (Yeti), have inverters in them and can be charged from solar panels. EVSE can be plugged into the larger ones. The basic problem is that the sun just doesn't supply that much energy.

This is why I hope Tesla will put in an MC4 solar port connection (MC4s are the connectors for solar panels) and one can then plug in any/a certain amount of panels and get some power.
This would be, IMO, the most desirable way to go. It is the same concept as the Jackery/Yeti approach except that the battery is the truck's main battery and so if the goal is to pick up some range two of three stages of conversion (DC/DC, DC/AC, AC/DC) are eliminated and the process is much more efficient. And, as an added bonus, all the functionality of the Jackery or Yeti product (and they ain't cheap) is there. I really hope Tesla does this.

Last edited:

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
What you should do an what you are likely to do are probably different things. The charger in the vehicle wants to be sure that the vehicle is earthed before charging. As EVSE does not use neutral (white) it looks for 120 V between hot (black or red) and earth (green). In a properly wired building earth and neutral are connected at the "service entrance" and Bob's your uncle. In the majority of applications generators should not have earth (the frame) and neutral (the center tap on the stator) bonded and most generators are shipped these days with them not connected. A charger will not see 120 V between the frame and hot and the charger won't operate. The solution, obviously, is to connect the neutral to the frame and there are various places one can do that. The simplest is probably to short the two pins in a plug which you put into one outlet on the generator when you plug your EVSE into another. You could also make up a short extension cord with the two pins interconnected at either end but the simple plug would be easier to make and be cheaper.

With this plug in place you have fooled the vehicle into thinking it is grounded. It isn't, of course, but it will charge. What you should do to be safe is properly ground it. To do this you would moisten a patch of ground, drive a ground rod into it an then tie that to the generator's frame via the lug provided for that purpose.

I'm confused by this. The bonding plug is just a plug with male pins only. But were the bonding plug on one end of an extension cord there wouldn't be any reason the EVSE shouldn't be plugged into the other.

Popular for the outdoor crowd today is the portable lithium ion battery pack. These range from 500 Wh through 1 kWh (Jackery) and up to 6 kWh (Yeti), have inverters in them and can be charged from solar panels. EVSE can be plugged into the larger ones. The basic problem is that the sun just doesn't supply that much energy.

This would be, IMO, the most desirable way to go. It is the same concept as the Jackery/Yeti approach except that the battery is the truck's main battery and so if the goal is to pick up some range two of three stages of conversion (DC/DC, DC/AC, AC/DC) are eliminated and the process is much more efficient. And, as an added bonus, all the functionality of the Jackery or Yeti product (and they ain't cheap) is there. I really hope Tesla does this.
"...I am confused by this..."

My mistook.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
With this plug in place you have fooled the vehicle into thinking it is grounded. It isn't, of course,
By tying (bonding) neutral to the generators ground, you are grounding it.
To ground doesn’t have to mean connecting to dirt.

What you should do to be safe is properly ground it. To do this you would moisten a patch of ground, drive a ground rod into it an then tie that to the generator's frame via the lug provided for that purpose.
There is no reason to connect a portable generator to a rod driven into the dirt. Check with your generator documentation for verification.

I feel like we’ve been over this.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
generator grounded to cybertruck
Tesla Cybertruck An interesting survival solution... 1610221717327

I think alot of high power generators say to earth it. but seemingly you dont have to to make it work.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
By tying (bonding) neutral to the generators ground, you are grounding it.
To ground doesn’t have to mean connecting to dirt.
Clearly you don't understand anything about electricity. As such I would ask you to refrain from posting about it. The reason I making this request in this instance is because misinforming people about grounding has safety implications.

There is no reason to connect a portable generator to a rod driven into the dirt. Check with your generator documentation for verification.
No need. I know what grounding means, what it is for and how it works. You have made it plain you don't. If concern for others safety isn't enough to make you mute yourself on this subject perhaps the fact that you are advertizing yourself a fool is.

I feel like we’ve been over this.
If we have been you didn't learn from last time.

Here's my offer. Edit your post to remove it and I'll remove this one. Or perhaps an Administrator could just remove both. I am reporting your post as potentially dangerous.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
generator grounded to cybertruck
1610221717327.png

I think alot of high power generators say to earth it. but seemingly you dont have to to make it work.
For complete safety, the car should be grounded (earthed) to the point that code requires that charging circuits must detect that ground (connection to the earth). If you operate the car from a generator that is not grounded then you do not have that protection though as discussed it is a simple matter to fool the car into charging.

Any generator should be earthed. A generator that is not earthed will not pass inspection. But we all know that most campers do not earth their generators, Most probably do not realize that they are exposing themselves to risk or if they do think it small enough that they need not worry. If using a generator in the field to charge your BEV (or for anything else) you should ground/earth it. Whether you choose to do so or not is your decision.

I noted with interest that in one of the several YouTube offerings that have appeared on this subject a grounding rod and wire were clearly visible but lying on the surface. No mention was made of them in the video, however.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don’t have time for this foolishness.

Please explain exactly what is unsafe about using a portable generator without connecting it to the dirt.

Most plug in Hybrids are basically BEV’s with a generator. Explain how they do not require a ground rod in the dirt when the generator is running.

The last time we had this discussion I posted links from various government websites including OSHA if I remember correctly. Those agencies specifically stated you do not have to use a ground rod into the earth.

Look for my previous posts. Then I suggest you delete your posts. Otherwise I should have time tomorrow to properly show you with links and facts that you do not have to stick a rod in the dirt to run a portable generator to charge an EV.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Please explain exactly what is unsafe about using a portable generator without connecting it to the dirt.
It isn't earthed.

....OSHA if I remember correctly. Those agencies specifically stated you do not have to use a ground rod into the earth.
Nobody said you have to properly ground your system. If you are willing to accept the risk of charging an unearthed vehicle we have discussed above how to do it. We note that the various levels of government will not allow you to accept that risk at home or at a DC fast charger and look forward to seeing the OSHA documentation that says it's OK in the field.

Your understanding of electrical safety is clearly lacking. I don't believe you even understand what "grounding" really means means. There are lots of people on here whose knowledge is similarly inadequate. They may think you know what you are talking about. While I'm not going to lie awake worrying about it someone who accepts your ignorance could get hurt.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
It isn't earthed
I was hoping you had a clue about electricity, specifically grounding. Obviously you don’t. If you did your answer might have had some meaning. Saying it’s unsafe because it’s unearthed would be like if you said it must be blue to be safe and I asked why and you replied because it isn’t blue.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
People who understand electricity appreciate that a safe installation requires that any exposed conductive part of an electrical apparatus be earthed. There is an organization called the National Fire Protection Association and they publish a code called the National Electrical Code which goes into this at great length. Electrical practice in most of the world adheres to NEC or similar standards. Thus to people who use electricity the statement "It isn't safe because it isn't earthed" requires no explanation.

May I suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)? Your misunderstanding of No. 23 is covered in the fifth paragraph but that's not the only reason I am pointing you to this article. I don't expect you will be able to understand much of it but perhaps you will grasp some.
Sponsored

Last edited: