Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
'What3words" APP is interesting, provided one has cell phone coverage.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No need. The manuals say one should not charge a Tesla from a "privately owned" generator.
Also, there's no way to contact engineers without getting them fired.

You don't need cell coverage to run W3W software. The 'dictionary' is downloaded onto your phone when you install and run the app for the first time. Once that's done, you just need to be able to 'see' the GPS stars in the sky.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What3words is an incredibly elegant solution to some problem. I just can't figure out what problem that might be. To work it needs a list of some 50,000 integers in scrambled order, a list of the address of each integer in that first list, a list of some 50,000 words and a tabbed (3 letters) index into that dictionary, The word list must be generated by the app maker and he must choose a scrambling code but all the data can be stored on the phone or generated on it so cell phone coverage isn't really necessary as long as the phone has the wordlist and the scrambling polynomial taps. But given memory these days I would imagine all the tables are part of the app. They take surprisingly little room.

Thus no cell phone connection ostensibly required. BUT in trying to figure out what one might do with this an obvious answer is to transmit the encoded coordinates to someone else. Of course this could be done with radio or smoke signals. But it seems that cell would be convenient in many cases.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
What3words is an incredibly elegant solution to some problem. I just can't figure out what problem that might be. To work it needs a list of some 50,000 integers in scrambled order, a list of the address of each integer in that first list, a list of some 50,000 words and a tabbed (3 letters) index into that dictionary, The word list must be generated by the app maker and he must choose a scrambling code but all the data can be stored on the phone or generated on it so cell phone coverage isn't really necessary as long as the phone has the wordlist and the scrambling polynomial taps. But given memory these days I would imagine all the tables are part of the app. They take surprisingly little room.

Thus no cell phone connection ostensibly required. BUT in trying to figure out what one might do with this an obvious answer is to transmit the encoded coordinates to someone else. Of course this could be done with radio or smoke signals. But it seems that cell would be convenient in many cases.
Things I like about What3Words:
  • Easy to read a location
  • Easy to tell someone a location
  • Easy to get a location for any spot on the globe
  • Has localized addresses in other languages
  • Locates to small enough areas to be very specific on location (at least at human scale) - 3 meter squares
Things I don't like about What3Words:
  • Proprietary solution
  • Cannot easily tell how close 2 locations are without looking them both up
  • Cannot tell where a single location is without looking it up
  • Currently need to have extensions installed in order to use it on the popularly used mapping solutions

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A interesting survival solution...

I made a quick search on the forums here for Prepper/Survival related comments, I did not find much at the time so I offer this thread.

I did see Elon Musk (EM henceforth)comments regarding being "A leader in post apocalyptic technology. I assumed this was EM's amusing sense of humor, but I quickly realized the potential the Cybertruck (CT) has.

So in this post I would like to discuss some of the negative and positive potential the CT has as a Survival Related Vehicle (SRV) for when the "Sh1t hits the fan" (SHTF).
Now I completely understand why there may not be many prepper comments here (and yes I understand that I am generalizing "prepper" into a broader "survival" context) as many preppers tend to reserve disclosing their preparation plans for disastrous (SHTF) events to others for good reasons. My initial post intent was to address this as more of a prepper "emergency" use SRV, and less as recreational "survival" uses. I want to discuss the potential features that could be integrated into the CT platform to improve/enhance its SRV abilities. I will discuss potential Tesla Power Wall application/integration also.

It was obvious from the start how useful as a SRV the CT could be, Bullet resistant exterior, high ground clearance(includes off-road capabilities),integrated solar re-charging, portable electric power (AC), secure covered storage, quiet HVAC. Some detractors are overall range, the size of the CT, general dependence on electronics. With the addition of run-flat tires and a durable brush-guard(and maybe powered winch) its SRV SHTF capabilities are improved.

It would be cool if Tesla offered a SRV options package on the CT providing some options that would be useful to campers and hunters as well.

So let's start.

Ponder these Ideas for now and let us know in this thread of any other SRV or prepper specific feedback and/or suggestions

Your mission, Elon, should you decide to accept it... As always, Should you or any of your CT Force be caught or killed, the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions... this thread will self-destruct in 3,2,1... Goodluck
I'm wondering, how deep of a water course will the CT be able to traverse with an electric battery pack?

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Until it floats, probably. And then you have a short time before it floods.

-Crissa
I’m not intending to put my CT to this test, but I’m wondering if the CT could continue to drive fully submerged. Assume the cockpit is flooded and the CT has sunk to the bottom. Assume the driver has auxiliary air to breath. I get that the CT is an EV. But if the circuits are water resistant like many phones are these days, shouldn’t the CT still be able to drive fully submerged? At the very least it would be a cool trick to have on video.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure, for awhile, until that waterproofing fails, or some exposed outlet grounds out. Much of the waterproofing is dielectric grease, but others are hydrophobic coatings or plastic covers. They don't protect against immersion permanently.

As each of these parts is exposed to more water, the draw on the battery increases until there's just no power left or something pops.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The fordability depth will not be determined by the necessity to keep the battery pack dry. You can be sure it will be well protected from water incursion.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Also, there's no way to contact engineers without getting them fired.

You don't need cell coverage to run W3W software. The 'dictionary' is downloaded onto your phone when you install and run the app for the first time. Once that's done, you just need to be able to 'see' the GPS stars in the sky.

-Crissa
W3W is pointless.... if you have GPS you know where you are just using Google maps. If you need W3W to tell someone else where you are why not just text them your location via Google maps? Oh you don't have cell service? How are you telling the person the W3W? If you are shouting them the other person could just walk to you.... if you are using a cb radio then maybe as long as both ends have W3W but in the rare case where you are using old timey radio to coordinate movement couldn't u just use lat long?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
W3W is pointless....
Even using Google Maps to share a pin is fraught with compatibility issues. Different versions use different markup, different formats of the latitude and longitude, and different integration into text.

W3W is human-readable, one dictionary per language, and can easily be pasted or read or transcribed into whatever messaging system you have, whether or not the app knows what it is.

Google Maps has to be programmed to know about every specific app you use to communicate with, so it formats its pin to transfer through it.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Even using Google Maps to share a pin is fraught with compatibility issues. Different versions use different markup, different formats of the latitude and longitude, and different integration into text.

W3W is human-readable, one dictionary per language, and can easily be pasted or read or transcribed into whatever messaging system you have, whether or not the app knows what it is.

Google Maps has to be programmed to know about every specific app you use to communicate with, so it formats its pin to transfer through it.

-Crissa
Dropped pin Near San Juan County, NM https://maps.app.goo.gl/z4Te2avMyrwWWoC48
36.979847,-108.992584
Any good map app will distinguish degrees minutes seconds from decimal degrees. And not to be snarky but Arabic numerals are also human readable.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dropped pin Near San Juan County, NM https://maps.app.goo.gl/z4Te2avMyrwWWoC48
36.979847,-108.992584
Any good map app will distinguish degrees minutes seconds from decimal degrees. And not to be snarky but Arabic numerals are also human readable.
...and there are multiple ways to format coordinates which mutually unintelligible. Three words is simpler, and replaces the 'z4Te2avMyrwWWoC48' on your url.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So I just saw this today on HackerNews about What3Words:

https://arxiv.org/abs/2308.16025

Title:
A Critical Analysis of the What3Words Geocoding Algorithm

Summary:
What3Words is a geocoding application that uses triples of words instead of alphanumeric coordinates to identify locations. What3Words has grown rapidly in popularity over the past few years and is used in logistical applications worldwide, including by emergency services. What3Words has also attracted criticism for being less reliable than claimed, in particular that the chance of confusing one address with another is high. This paper investigates these claims and shows that the What3Words algorithm for assigning addresses to grid boxes creates many pairs of confusable addresses, some of which are quite close together. The implications of this for the use of What3Words in critical or emergency situations is discussed.
Sponsored