Anti-sway hitches needed when towing with Cybertruck?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Saw an advertisement for this hitch:
https://store.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/

Has anyone used this?

And do we think something like this is needed with the Cybertruck?

In other words, will they Cybertruck have anti-sway and anti-jackknife technology (atleast for those with 3 or 4 motors; it from the Semi)?
Anyone that tows > of 6000lbs should be using a weight distribution hitch every single time. All modern trucks have anti sway. Sway is almost always to impromperly loaded trailers or a broken trailer axle/tire down event.
A properly adjusted “WDH” helps prevent the fulcrum (hitch) from causing an out of control event. Any anti jacknife control would really just be stability control in the truck, trailer brakes in good order with correct gain. The one advantage the CT with 4 wheel steering would have is having both axles pointing the same direction. That would theoretically shorten the time required for the trailer to return to being centered behind the truck.

edit: I also realize that is “not just a WDH”
We pull trailers for millions of miles per year, safely and in a controlled manner without what is really a shock absorber. Save your money IMO

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Agree with all of the above. WD is not the same as anti-sway, although WD is one of many tools to prevent the problems that cause sway. Almost no trailer needs anti-sway; they are a crutch to mask a problem. Will the CT need WD? Well, "need" is hard to define, but for the larger loads, I'd use one. I have a WD system for our 3500 pound TT to be towed by the Gladiator, because it has very soft springs and otherwise it would squat horribly. Not a sway issue, but causes other handling issues.

A $300 WD is just as good as that ludicrous thing.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Agree with all of the above. WD is not the same as anti-sway, although WD is one of many tools to prevent the problems that cause sway. Almost no trailer needs anti-sway; they are a crutch to mask a problem. Will the CT need WD? Well, "need" is hard to define, but for the larger loads, I'd use one. I have a WD system for our 3500 pound TT to be towed by the Gladiator, because it has very soft springs and otherwise it would squat horribly. Not a sway issue, but causes other handling issues.

A $300 WD is just as good as that ludicrous thing.
good to see ya over from the JT forum

OP
OP
ldjessee

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
This video helped me understand what a weight distribution hitch does.

My understand is that it negates poor weight distribution (or shifting weight) on the trailer... or helps make up for not having the hitch at the correct height for the trailer.

As noted also in that video, some vehicles with air suspension (why I even bring this up) are sometimes recommended to NOT use a weight distribution hitch.

I guess the thing to do is weight to see what Tesla says about the Cybertruck (or maybe those who are very experienced and do some experiments with the Cybertruck and towing).

Since I am in the 500k area of the reservation line, I am hoping it will be all figured out before I get mine (ie, in what cases the Cybertruck should use one).

Since moving aircraft around, I have not towed anything that was heavier than the tractor/tow vehicle.