Any new news on Cybertruck transparent aluminum windows or wipers?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I haven't seen any posts relating to the windows or wiper mechanisms since December. Has Tesla (or anyone) seen updates about these that they forgot to share?
Sponsored

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
I haven't seen any posts relating to the windows or wiper mechanisms since December. Has Tesla (or anyone) seen updates about these that they forgot to share?
No, we've simply exhausted reasonable speculations. From here until new news it would simply be rehashing.

trampfossil

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck2
Occupation
tech
Country flag
Elon should check out the new Nano Platelet Spinel glass that Aqua resources makes for DOD super strong....

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Hoping they perfected the laser wipers. Talk about hi tech!
Hah! That made me laugh out loud. I *love* the idea of “laser wipers” for the CT!
It it so over-the-top, I am going to start telling people that that is what it will have!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
I really don't think that the lasers are meant to actually clean the windows. For one because i dont see how it would be possible to physically remove significant mass with lasers (in a downpour for example or with mud on the widshield). And for two because the wording in the patent doesn't even say that the lasers are for debris removal.
“A cleaning system for a vehicle includes a beam optics assembly that emits a laser beam to irradiate a region on a glass article of the vehicle, debris detection circuitry that detects debris accumulated over the region, and control circuitry.”
It says the cleaning system as a whole (whipers, sprayer, etc.) includes a laser that detects debris.

any counter arguments?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I really don't think that the lasers are meant to actually clean the windows. For one because i dont see how it would be possible to physically remove significant mass with lasers (in a downpour for example or with mud on the widshield). And for two because the wording in the patent doesn't even say that the lasers are for debris removal.
“A cleaning system for a vehicle includes a beam optics assembly that emits a laser beam to irradiate a region on a glass article of the vehicle, debris detection circuitry that detects debris accumulated over the region, and control circuitry.”
It says the cleaning system as a whole (whipers, sprayer, etc.) includes a laser that detects debris.

any counter arguments?
There was a long (2+ hour) video chat about this last year and they seemed to believe that the laser system was in lieu of wipers and sprayer, not in addition to or to augment. It is a bit difficult to believe that they would need a laser system if they have the former system, though they have talked about how important it is that the cameras remain debris free. Maybe the laser is only for that portion of the windshield. But if that is so, wouldn't they want something similar for every camera on the vehicle? I tend to think that this patent is, indeed, for local heating and removal of debris, though I question whether it will ever see the light of day, so to speak. Most of the patent ideas I have submitted never will.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag

any counter arguments?
The title of the patent is " pulsed laser cleaning...
Also the laser doesn't have to incinerate the mass of the debris... It only needs to heat the interface to overcome the Van der Waals force. The physical impact of the photons might be sufficient to dislodge a water droplet without actually heating the water. Yes, yes. I know photons are massless but they have tremendous momentum.

Last edited:

NiceGuyMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Electro/Mechanical Tech
Country flag
The cyber truck moves faster than rain or snow. Thus no wipers or laser clearing will be needed.
:cool::cool::cool:

myco.rrhizae

First Name
Myco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 4.9L, Chevy Volt, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Carpenter
Country flag
There was a long (2+ hour) video chat about this last year and they seemed to believe that the laser system was in lieu of wipers and sprayer, not in addition to or to augment. It is a bit difficult to believe that they would need a laser system if they have the former system, though they have talked about how important it is that the cameras remain debris free. Maybe the laser is only for that portion of the windshield. But if that is so, wouldn't they want something similar for every camera on the vehicle? I tend to think that this patent is, indeed, for local heating and removal of debris, though I question whether it will ever see the light of day, so to speak. Most of the patent ideas I have submitted never will.
ok, word. got a link to that vid?

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
ok, word. got a link to that vid?
There are a couple of wiper related threads. Here on the CT forums, but here are 2 videos. The first is the one I was referring to:

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
I think Tesla will start with the Dual Motor variant first, with regular automotive glass and wipers. ALON glass will be mostly an expensive option for the tri-motor CT, for which the production will start later.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I think Tesla will start with the Dual Motor variant first, with regular automotive glass and wipers. ALON glass will be mostly an expensive option for the tri-motor CT, for which the production will start later.
Elon said something on the Jay Leno show about the difficulties of the large flat windshield. I don't think they can use glass

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Elon said something on the Jay Leno show about the difficulties of the large flat windshield. I don't think they can use glass
Wasn't aware about that, this is encouraging. Hopefully they can source that transparent aluminium as it's a completely new product unlike other parts
Sponsored