Any new news on Cybertruck transparent aluminum windows or wipers?

Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
There are a couple of wiper related threads. Here on the CT forums, but here are 2 videos. The first is the one I was referring to:

I finally got the chance to watch these videos.

For those who want to get to get the skinny about the wipers in the first video you can get the following 3 sections:

45:00 to 46:24

49:07 to 1:07:50

1:14:57 to 1:25:40

Basically, the guy is saying that by using ALON (he describes as transparent aluminum, 4x harder than glass, and basically the same hardness as Saphire) there is no need to have wipers at all. The ALON is supposed to be so smooth that you essentially have a permanent Rain-X like surface that the dirt and water will just run off of.

Not sure how real that experience will be but I'm game to find out.

If you watch the rest of the video there is an inside joke about WD-40 so you will probably hear references to that as you watch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think Tesla will start with the Dual Motor variant first, with regular automotive glass and wipers. ALON glass will be mostly an expensive option for the tri-motor CT, for which the production will start later.
Elon Musk said the armor glass would be on all models, all windows. Are you making these things up?

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
Elon Musk said the armor glass would be on all models, all windows. Are you making these things up?
? agree. CT materials are same for all models regardless of tier

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hey, people are allowed to make their guesses as to what features will and won't make it to production.

Right?

-Crissa
Of course, but Elon Musk has never taken a feature out that he publicly said would be in, so I would expect more than just ‘I think’ for this one. Most of this forum is ‘I think’ comments and wishes.

EVCanuck

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ЗАЗ-968, Canyonero
Country flag
Of course, but Elon Musk has never taken a feature out that he publicly said would be in, so I would expect more than just ‘I think’ for this one. Most of this forum is ‘I think’ comments and wishes.
If you read my original post I did not mention armored glass at all, this definition is very broad. I specified aluminium oxynitride (ALON) material for CT windows. Now please provide proof that this material will be used on all CT windows, even the 40k variant.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
If you read my original post I did not mention armored glass at all, this definition is very broad. I specified aluminium oxynitride (ALON) material for CT windows. Now please provide proof that this material will be used on all CT windows, even the 40k variant.
Proof. Hmmm. There is no such thing as proof before the CT is manufactured, but there is history. Listen to his interview with Jay Leno where Jay asks Elon whether armored glass is needed for all of the glass. That was the second reference we have of Elon Musk saying the glass would all be armored (the first being the unveiling). Both are available on YouTube.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
There are a couple of wiper related threads. Here on the CT forums, but here are 2 videos. The first is the one I was referring to:

Transparent Aluminum starts at 49:09 for those that dont have 2 hrs to wait

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Wow, I honestly thought this was a joke!
How did I miss the videos and discussions about this?
I had started to think about how this would be done, but it seemed that the power necessary would be prohibitive. Plus, in actual rain, it seemed like turning oncoming droplets into small bursts of steam might not be beneficial to visibility, especially at slower speed.
The idea of water defracting a laser, across a glass surface in front of a driver‘s and passenger’s face was what stopped my thought exercise.
This is really fascinating, I can’t wait to see what comes of it. Very useful for solar panels, too!

Last edited:

Gvardaman

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW 330ci, VW Corrado (non-op)
Occupation
Country flag
Oh yeah, to the original topic:
I love that transparent aluminum actually exists, but I don’t think it has been used practically yet.
Last time I looked for it, the cost was prohibitive, producing it in large sizes difficult and the clarity wasn’t there.
Now, I Don’t know about the cost, but the clarity is there and they (Alon or whatever the company is) seem to be making it in very large quantities.
That would be appropriate and AWESOME!
Sponsored