Are people really selling their Cybertrucks for $200k+ or is that all hype and are there ramifications?

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
It pretty much became public knowledge the second the people who attended and were live streaming as they walked into the lobby of the factory. Then continued into the factory. So what exactly did we sign On that non disclosure? Anyone else who attended curious what the terms were/ Are? Are they still in effect?

Sure, I have access to my original $100. Contract as itā€™s in my account from 4.5 years ago. My Deposit is nothing more than a spot in line. I can easily apply for a refund. But why, 10 cents a year over the last 4.5 years isnā€™t going to break anyone. No, Iā€™m not loosing sleep over the non disclosure or the $100.

Rick
I donā€™t know. Tesla does not tell you what your spot in line is even though you put money down on it ā€¦
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
How about the millions of people that put down a deposit many years ago for a spot in line only to get surpassed and new options they cannot afford coming in front of them?

If Tesla starts suing, a class action could reciprocate
If you want to imagine things that aren't happening, make a new thread.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I hope the DOJ prosecutes Tesla for foisting an illegal restraint of trade contract on people.

What is the point of having anti-trust laws if companies are just going to ignore them?
Lol what?

Broski

First Name
Broski
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
You must be new to this.
Iā€™ve been around for a while, waiting for my Vin number on my cyber beast order which was estimated mid to late this year.

My point is if a company is going to take a deposit, even a nominal one that adds up to 100 and millions of dollars there should be some transparency of where you are in line and what that deposit means
Just because itā€™s refundable does not mean a company can hold onto so much money over many many years and not deliver anywhere close to what was promised at the onset

Iā€™m actually surprised a class action case has not come up yet. In my case my configuration is $120,000 versus 80,000 at least itā€™s faster than promised, though the range and price were a big miss

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Lol what?
Sherman anti-trust act. Everyone should read it sometime instead of just giving up their rights to big corporations without even knowing.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1

15 U.S. Code Ā§ 1 - Trusts, etc., in restraint of trade illegal; penalty
Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal.

By the plain language of the law, It is illegal for Tesla (and the buyer) to make a contract that restrains the buyer from reselling the vehicle (if they sell it across state lines because the feds can only regulate interstate trade).

The Courts have watered this law down quite a bit over the years to declare certain types of restraint of trade "reasonable". And of course big corporations like Tesla will threaten expensive litigation like what happened to John Cena with his Ford. Note that Cena settled instead of going the distance with his case. He perhaps could have won because so far the courts have not enforced a no-resell clause against an end consumer buyer of a mass marketed product. No end consumer has had the guts to take a case all the way. And the penalty is only a $1million for a corporation, so they are happy to risk it.

Last edited:

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Sherman anti-trust act. Everyone should read it sometime instead of just giving up their rights to big corporations without even knowing.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1

15 U.S. Code Ā§ 1 - Trusts, etc., in restraint of trade illegal; penalty
Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal.

By the plain language of the law, It is illegal for Tesla (and the buyer) to make a contract that restrains the buyer from reselling the vehicle (if they sell it across state lines because the feds can only regulate interstate trade).

The Courts have watered this law down quite a bit over the years to declare certain types of restraint of trade "reasonable". And of course big corporations like Tesla will threaten expensive litigation like what happened to John Cena with his Ford. Note that Cena settled instead of going the distance with his case. He perhaps could have won because so far the courts have not enforced a no-resell clause against an end consumer buyer of a mass marketed product. No end consumer has had the guts to take a case all the way. And the penalty is only a $1million for a corporation, so they are happy to risk it.
You don't think Tesla had lawyers help write the purchase agreement?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Iā€™ve been around for a while, waiting for my Vin number on my cyber beast order which was estimated mid to late this year.

My point is if a company is going to take a deposit, even a nominal one that adds up to 100 and millions of dollars there should be some transparency of where you are in line and what that deposit means
Just because itā€™s refundable does not mean a company can hold onto so much money over many many years and not deliver anywhere close to what was promised at the onset

Iā€™m actually surprised a class action case has not come up yet. In my case my configuration is $120,000 versus 80,000 at least itā€™s faster than promised, though the range and price were a big miss
Tesla has never ever ever said your reservation number indicates production line. Never. Same with previous models. Never.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag

Ps nothing was promised. Read your reservation agreement. Subject to change.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
You don't think Tesla had lawyers help write the purchase agreement?
Yep. I am sure they have lawyers on staff and if they are not litigating something, they are wasting their money. See the part about trying to scare people into not testing the law.

smggsm

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mclaren fisker sig fisker Echochic
Country flag
The order in my name but the truck now in my wife name i registered in her name
Can she sell it with out penalty?
Can they go after heršŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒ? she never seen The contract is it good defense strategy??šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yep. I am sure they have lawyers on staff and if they are not litigating something, they are wasting their money. See the part about trying to scare people into not testing the law.
Exactly.

A contract has to be tested before it has standing.

Accordingly, the whole clause sham is just to wham bam scare you ma'am.

It's not the legality of the clause, it's just the cost of litigation that will get you in the end.

Either way it shouldn't be in there, and I still don't believe EM knows it's there, and if he would understand what it actually does it would be gone.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Accordingly, the whole clause sham is just to wham bam scare you ma'am.

It's not the legality of the clause, it's just the cost of litigation that will get you in the end.
Ok. Can I sign you up to come try it out under our legal system? I have heard of armchair quarterbacks. Do you folks that think this is a nothing burger have judges robes in your closet we are not aware of?

One is playing a numbers game. Tesla could wait 6 days, or 6 months for a filing. Enjoy one's sleep in the meantime. Maybe put that money in a savings account until sol expires.
Sponsored