Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, since we have the composite what's new section... Someone is always going to read a post.

^-^

Much less worrisome than having to price out insurance.

-Crissa
Sponsored

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Tesla needs to get repair and maintenance cost down.

Tires too.

All these expenses are way too high for most people that work service type jobs.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Repair is always going to be difficult to bring down when a vehicle doesn't suffer damage often.

What maintenance is expensive?

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Cost to replace most windshields are $300-$400 but for Tesla cars/SUV it is $900. Tires are more expensive for Teslas. Bio-hazard filter (Model X) $500

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I am very concerned about insurance cost for the CT. It is heavy and fast and there are many unknowns. So it will be expensive for a while. I think the body repair will be very expensive until people get tooled up to handle it.

The data loggers and the fact the the truck may be online kind of scares me a little for privacy. That being said, In order to lower insurance I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of short term memory data logger. Say something that erases after 5 minutes and would only be recorded after an accident.

Say if you are speeding over 10 mph your deductible is $5000 or even $10,00, if not it is what ever you have it set at.

I know there is a ton of regulation, but I am hoping Tesla insurance will be available in Utah and can take in account save driving habits while not compromising privacy.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I am very concerned about insurance cost for the CT. It is heavy and fast and there are many unknowns. So it will be expensive for a while. I think the body repair will be very expensive until people get tooled up to handle it.

The data loggers and the fact the the truck may be online kind of scares me a little for privacy. That being said, In order to lower insurance I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of short term memory data logger. Say something that erases after 5 minutes and would only be recorded after an accident.

Say if you are speeding over 10 mph your deductible is $5000 or even $10,00, if not it is what ever you have it set at.

I know there is a ton of regulation, but I am hoping Tesla insurance will be available in Utah and can take in account save driving habits while not compromising privacy.
Each state and province has its own insurance regulations, ostensibly to protect the public, but they also protect the industry. But we see a good start in developments such as:
-Tesla insurance in California
-insurance offered also by some banks in Ontario
-GM announcing it's going to offer coverage (and not just for GM vehicles)

Also (to repeat myself), the cost of the required liability coverage should not be much different from one vehicle to another (unless one type has a record of more frequent damaging and killing). But collision-repair costs to the insured vehicle can vary widely and will likely be high for the CT. However, this coverage is generally optional for registration.

By declining it, you "self insure." That is, you'd be keeping the collision premiums, so the longer you avoid damage, the more likely you'll come out ahead. Additionally, if you did opt for optional collision coverage, (1) you'd likely have a $1,000 deductible, (2) if a writeoff you won't get more than they say it's worth, and (3) if it's repaired the insurer will get back some, all, or more of the claim payout in higher premiums (or the loss of a claims-free discount) for the next five years or so.

Last edited:

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
^^^ what Alan said. Repair costs will be insane, at least initially, due to the exoskeleton, imo.

TerryMack

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Repair is always going to be difficult to bring down when a vehicle doesn't suffer damage often.

What maintenance is expensive?

-Crissa
Has anybody been thinking the "traveling brick wall" (ie. CT) is cruising down the road, minding its business when it veers and hits 'something', Damaging that 'something' severely! This HAS happened before but rarely. Then what? Liability insurance will have to be high. It seems Insurance for our beloved Cyber Truck will cost us in the end...one way or another...

Last edited: