Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Obviously, the CT driver was lying.. or SHE lied.

Can't fit the batteries in that space.

Obviously :p

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Don’t get too excited about the 500 mile battery range. I have owned a Model Y for 2.5 years. The battery range is consistently 15% below the EPA estimate.

500 minus 15% = 425 “real world”, not a controlled environment, of Cybertruck range.

425 is still still pretty damn good!

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Don’t get too excited about the 500 mile battery range. I have owned a Model Y for 2.5 years. The battery range is consistently 15% below the EPA estimate.

500 minus 15% = 425 “real world”, not a controlled environment, of Cybertruck range.
2 minutes in heaven is better than 1 minute in heaven.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Off roading miles could be more energy intensive than highway, but sometimes it is just slower going… 🤷‍♂️
Also, 500 miles does not mean there was not a recharge in there…
So, I will continue to wait and see what the production truck delivered to customers has. 😜😉

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

No different than your actual gas mileage vs. the EPA sticker on the car. Those are "perfect world" numbers. But what IS exciting is that an EPA 500 mile range should get you over 400 miles, for the vast majority of driving styles.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

15% off 500 is still better than 15% off 350 when you're off the beaten supercharger path..... :cool:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Yeah, seems there’s miscommunication/misunderstanding here

This truck will not do 500mi on a charge

the guys who just drove it 1400mi would know that

I suspect the “owner” of the truck mentioned was instead a transport personnel, or a service center employee, who don’t know anything other than the 2019 release stats they are regurgitating as fact

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

I can get excited about 500 miles of EPA range because I know what 500 miles of EPA combined City/Hwy range means. It's 500 miles as measured by the prescribed EPA drive cycles, a mix of urban and highway driving. It's a more accurate indicator of most people's typical usage than the wildly optimistic WLTP range used by many EV's sold outside N. America.

500 miles is many hours of non-stop driving, most or all of the day for many people not driving "Canonball Run" style, must get there ASAP, style. This means relaxing cross-country tours could be done without ever stopping to charge, except at hotels at night with free Tesla destination chargers. In actual use, most people would want to throw in a couple of 15-20 minute Supercharger breaks each day, if not stopping to see the sights along the way, and wanting to cover more than 400 miles each day. Destination chargers are a real game-changer in terms of keeping charging stops to a minimum and saving on Supercharging costs. A 500-mile Cybertruck could make very good use of a 48-amp Tesla destination charger if arriving at your accomodations at 5 or 6 pm and not leaving until 7 or 8 the next morning.

Pretty much any EV can exceed it's EPA combined range by driving at a steady speed of 50 mph in normal weather and road conditions while I don't think there is a single EV that can exceed it's EPA combined range by driving at a steady 75 mph. Our 2018 Long-Range Model 3 matches it's 310 mile EPA range going 60-65 mph, as long as the pavement is the smoother blacktop or concrete, and not the more abrasive chip seal with exposed sharp-edged rocks embedded in tar. At a steady 37 mph, the 2018 Model 3 with 310 miles of EPA range demonstrated multiple times it could go over 600 miles on a single charge. There is no such thing as "real-world" range, because the "real world" varies so much.

My point here, is that people tend to use "real world" to mean the range you can count on in the worst 25% of conditions, or the range you can expect at 75 or 80 mph.

The single most under-recognized factor affecting range is the texture of the road. Everyone knows that speed has a dramatic effect on range, but many don't know how much the road texture can impact range, particularly at 60 mph and under. Smooth-textured highways are much better than coarse country roads.

The biggest advantage of a battery big enough to go 500 miles is that it has a bigger "sweet spot" in terms of fast charging. That is, the battery will accept the higher fast charging levels for more minutes. That can get you back on the road a couple of minutes faster or reduce the number of charging stops or allow travel to more remote locations. But, with a high enough density of Supercharger stations, or for normal local use where it's plugged in every night, there is very little advantage to carrying around all that extra weight. And the density of the Supercharger Network has increased massively while we have been waiting to take delivery of our Cybertrucks. The Supercharger network of late 2019 bears little resemblance to the Supercharger Network at the end of 2023.

Last edited:

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I can get excited about 500 miles of EPA range because I know what 500 miles of EPA combined City/Hwy range means. It's 500 miles as measured by the prescribed EPA drive cycles, a mix of urban and highway driving. It's a more accurate indicator of most people's typical usage than the wildly optimistic WLTP range used by many EV's sold outside N. America.

Pretty much any EV can exceed it's EPA combined range by driving at a steady speed of 50 mph in normal weather and road conditions while I don't think there is a single EV that can exceed it's EPA combined range by driving at a steady 75 mph. Our Long-Range Model 3 matches it's EPA range going 60-65 mph, as long as the pavement is the smoother blacktop or concrete, and not the more abrasive chip seal with exposed sharp-edged rocks embedded in nasty petroleum products. At a steady 37 mph, the 2018 Model 3 with 310 miles of EPA range demonstrated it could go over 600 miles on a single charge.

This is the single most under-recognized factor affecting range. Smooth-textured highways are much better than coarse country roads. Of course the slower speeds on many country roads will often equalize the difference.

The biggest advantage of battery big enough to go 500 miles is that it has a bigger "sweet spot" in terms of fast charging. That is, the battery will accept the higher fast charging levels for more minutes. That can get you back on the road a couple of minutes faster or reduce the number of charging stops or allow travel to more remote locations. But, with a high enough density of Supercharger stations, or for normal local use where it's plugged in every night, there is very little advantage to carrying around all that extra weight. And the density of the Supercharger Network has increased massively while we have been waiting to take delivery of our Cybertrucks. The Supercharger network of late 2019 bears little resemblance to the Supercharger Network at the end of 2023.

I agree, most people drive aggressive at high speed and expect to have better range, wishful thinking. I can hypermiling and get more efficient when I need to on my 2013 Model S 60. I could do the same with the CT. Not complaining about EPA rating at all. Real-world driving does not count because everyone drive differently.

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
I agree, most people drive aggressive at high speed and expect to have better range, wishful thinking. I can hypermiling and get more efficient when I need to on my 2013 Model S 60. I could do the same with the CT. Not complaining about EPA rating at all. Real-world driving does not count because everyone drive differently.
(y)
Sponsored