Tommybo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
How hard do you think it will be to replace battery? With the SS and motor designed for a lot of miles, the only big cost will be battery potentially....how much/hard do you think?
Sponsored

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Not worried about it.

Tesla‘s batteries and battery management system are the best out there and the battery should last a long time.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I've looked into this and I haven't really found any just straight costs for it. I have seen articles that have said that to replace the battery modules, it would be $3000-$7000 in the model 3. To replace the entire battery back itself with all modules in it would be around $16000. I don't know how accurate these numbers are but they seem pretty reasonable.

Most likely there wouldn't be a need to replace the battery pack for any reason other than damage. The battery modules might need replacing after a long life and they degrade past a point that the owner can really accept for the range of their vehicle.

It's possible that maybe in the future if we get to solid state batteries, there might be more work to replace the battery and charging system depending how Tesla goes about it. The whole idea behind solid state batteries if the technology gets that far is that charging will be insanely fast, like less than a minute at a supercharger. Obviously this would depend on getting to solid state batteries and making superchargers that can supply it that fast through the car into the batteries.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Replacing a single or a few cells compared to the whole array may be more advantageous in the future.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Batteries in a Tesla are NOT like in a Cell phone. BTW they just keep getting better but here's the record in OLD batteries.
https://insideevs.com/news/449156/tesla-model-s-far-exceeds-one-million-miles/
I remember reading those articles. he past 1,333,333km recently. However he has also gone through 4 motors and 3 battery packs.

Both the motors and the battery packs have improved, but we haven't reached the million mile battery yet, hopefully the cybertruck is close

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Remember that in the CT the battery pack is going to be one big block of epoxy and battery which is a structural member. I don't think it's going to be a simple matter to replace it.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Remember that in the CT the battery pack is going to be one big block of epoxy and battery which is a structural member. I don't think it's going to be a simple matter to replace it.
I said future.

I envision battery array dropped, diagnostic done one each cell and only out of tolerance replaced. Cost determinate per cell.

Epoxy can be cored if designed to do so.

No, I do not think this is a cell phone battery replacement. Although, we could mount a power wall in the bed. You know you want to…

I envision an increase in battery repair options instead of jumping to replacing the whole array.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The battery pack will be structural but structural components in a vehicle can be replaced. A windshield in most vehicles is considered structural, the doors themselves in a Tesla is considered structural, as mentioned in the patent. Really it just depends how the structural battery pack is attached to the rest of the exoskeleton. Even if it's not removeable, Tesla was for sure thinking about replacements when designing the battery pack so modules would still be removeable for sure and other components inside might be removeable while keeping the shell of the battery pack permanently attached.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Replacing a single or a few cells compared to the whole array may be more advantageous in the future.
It's pretty much impossible to replace a cell in a car battery module, let alone a Tesla.

Cell imbalance would rear its head if you were able to do it, which would lead to further degradation of the pack.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
It's pretty much impossible to replace a cell in a car battery module, let alone a Tesla.

Cell imbalance would rear its head if you were able to do it, which would lead to further degradation of the pack.

-Crissa
Future, not current designs. When this is possible and practice, you will think back and be amazed. Don’t let facts and figures get in the way with passion. ?

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I think a full pack may be easier to replace. They won't go in and replace a cell, they will replace the whole pack by disconnecting it from the front structural member and the rear structural member with only a few bolts. I have removed whole engine assemblies, suspension assemblies, even a body from a frame, and the amount of bolts to do so is not impressive. Given Tesla's engineering wizardry, I would be surprised if it would take more than 30 minutes to replace a battery pack. For comparison, it takes me about two hours to disconnect an engine and lift the whole assembly out of an engine bay.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Future, not current designs. When this is possible and practice, you will think back and be amazed. Don’t let facts and figures get in the way with passion. ?
I don't see any reason to replace a battery cell rather than a module.

The battery pack is the entire battery which makes up the bottom of the car. Then 16 modules make up the battery pack, at least that how many were in the older model S. Then inside the modules it is filled with battery cells. I don't see any reason why the battery cells in a single module would ever be replaced at different times so it just makes sense to replace the entire module at least.

I think a full pack may be easier to replace. They won't go in and replace a cell, they will replace the whole pack by disconnecting it from the front structural member and the rear structural member with only a few bolts. I have removed whole engine assemblies, suspension assemblies, even a body from a frame, and the amount of bolts to do so is not impressive. Given Tesla's engineering wizardry, I would be surprised if it would take more than 30 minutes to replace a battery pack. For comparison, it takes me about two hours to disconnect an engine and lift the whole assembly out of an engine bay.
Replacing the entire battery pack wouldn't be necessary to completely replace the actually battery parts of the vehicle. The battery pack would take extra work to replace but the pack without the module is just there to provide structure and protection for the battery modules as well as house the charging lines. If you replace all the battery modules, the vehicles range and battery life will be completely reset or improved if you are upgrading to newer and better batteries.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I don't see any reason to replace a battery cell rather than a module.

The battery pack is the entire battery which makes up the bottom of the car. Then 16 modules make up the battery pack, at least that how many were in the older model S. Then inside the modules it is filled with battery cells. I don't see any reason why the battery cells in a single module would ever be replaced at different times so it just makes sense to replace the entire module at least.

Replacing the entire battery pack wouldn't be necessary to completely replace the actually battery parts of the vehicle. The battery pack would take extra work to replace but the pack without the module is just there to provide structure and protection for the battery modules as well as house the charging lines. If you replace all the battery modules, the vehicles range and battery life will be completely reset or improved if you are upgrading to newer and better batteries.
These modules are sealed inside the pack. There are videos showing the effort it demands to access the individual modules. Given what I have watched, I would find it easier to extract a V8 engine in my driveway, than to extract a module without damaging the battery pack.