SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
During the earnings call they mentioned that the 4680 was in fact the “Million Mile“ battery they’d discussed. That suggests to me you should see something above 80% capacity after a million miles.
That would be even more then I hope for.

From what I've read around here, not a lot of people think the warranty is going to change or even that it needs to change.

When I mentioned it before I only got back comments that I don't need to worry about it, the battery out performs the warranty, etc. I hope it does. But I also need the warranty to be better.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That would be even more then I hope for.

From what I've read around here, not a lot of people think the warranty is going to change or even that it needs to change.

When I mentioned it before I only got back comments that I don't need to worry about it, the battery out performs the warranty, etc. I hope it does. But I also need the warranty to be better.
I wasn’t talking about warranties. The warranty is not big on my list of worries. The warranty is basically a piece of paper that gives you the minimum useful life of a product. Most of what I own is out of warranty.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This is well into hypothetical land,
Which part? The description of what happened to someone else, nor my hunting conditions, nor the recommendations for SOC are hypothetical. They are the reality of what I and many others will use this truck for while trying to maintain the battery life.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I wasn’t talking about warranties.... Most of what I own is out of warranty.
I keep most of my vehicles and tools and other things well past their warranties also. It doesn't mean I don't want a good one. Especially on the main part of the vehicle I'm willing to pay an upgrade for given today's charging infrastructure and how I spend my fall seasons.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Which part? The description of what happened to someone else, nor my hunting conditions, nor the recommendations for SOC are hypothetical. They are the reality of what I and many others will use this truck for while trying to maintain the battery life.
Everything about the solar setup is hypothetical, including whether or not it ever actually ships.

All information about it has been from 2 off-the-cuff/ off-the-record comments by Musk.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Everything about the solar setup is hypothetical, including whether or not it ever actually ships.

All information about it has been from 2 off-the-cuff/ off-the-record comments by Musk.
Gotcha. My mistake.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I was under the impression that most electric cars had "headroom" built in to their battery management that wouldn't allow the car to charge to a true 100% of capacity or discharge to a true 0%. In effect what shows on the car display as 100% might be 96% of actual capacity and 0% displayed might be 4% actual... Is this the case or not with Tesla's?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I was under the impression that most electric cars had "headroom" built in to their battery management...
That varies wildly by manufacturer. With Tesla, they tend to have a target for each model, but the battery pack may vary. So newer built units may have more headroom than original built ones - but that's because the packs slowly got bigger in the background. Tesla likes having everything standard, which means the packs themselves grow based upon what the factory makes, while what the cars use, is based upon their model update cycle. ...Which is opaque.

Tesla does display 0 range long before the pack voltage drops below the car's ability to go, giving a little legroom. But this legroom is part of the advertised range.

-Crissa
Sponsored