CyberBeast vs AWD range

CyberPappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
Country flag
I know the advertised difference is ~20 miles in favor of AWD but curious if that holds up when both are driven conservatively (ie same tires, chill mode, and otherwise similar conditions with the intent to maximize range).

Is the beast just inherently more inefficient with the added motor and a bit of added weight or is the range difference more of an assumption that the beast will be driven more aggressively?

Some have argued that the tri motor design is inherently more efficient than the dual motor but that does not seem to be the case on paper anyways.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

CyberFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
Depends on how you drive.😁 Personally I don’t mind less efficiency in return for the fun of aggressive driving in Beast mode and on High setting. The CB just begs to be driven harder making the actual efficiency even worse. But the exhilaration never gets old!

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
makerspacedude.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
a dude
Country flag
My simple brain thinks it takes more battery to power 3 motors instead of 2 but I'm no electrical engineer. I'm sure there are much better explanations on why the Cyberbeast has less range than the AWD.

A-AY-RON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'69 Camaro Z28, '15 Viper GT, FS-CB
Occupation
SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Country flag
Just got my Beast on 5/2. My calculation is right at 307 miles if fully charged. I believe its rated right at 302 miles in the Foundation Series with the 20s and 35s.

- Comfort mode
- Medium height
- 21.5 mile drive to work at 59-64mph. All highway, with only two stops (right-hand turns)

I normally drive a lot faster in left lane. However, when cars see me at a distance, they speed up and tailgate to get closer look; making me the slow person in the fast lane. I've changed to the middle lane so often, I just stay there in the "fish bowl" until my exit.

Giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla MYP / Cybertruck AWD (VIN assigned)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My guess is it's a combination of weight (the beast is a little heavier) and the permanent magnet motor being in the front rather than the rear. For efficient cruising the induction motors can be deactivated without creating much in the way of drag, though I suppose there being two for the beast there could be some extra friction loss there too. Having more power on tap would make it far less efficient if I had one for sure though (I have a lead foot) ...
Sponsored