Before you consider other EV's, consider this!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
After seeing the news that Ford was talking trash on Tesla today I did a little research. Ford brags about having FordPass charging network, so I thought Id do a comparison of Mach-E vs. Model Y on abetterrouteplanner.com . So I set up a trip from Oxnard(my hometown) to Denver. These are just estimates but OMG that Mach-E didn't do well at all. Higher consumption, slower charging, and the cost was WAY worst than the Model Y. I've included a graphic with both trips.

Tesla Cybertruck Before you consider other EV's, consider this! machecomparison

The price of charging made this even worst. BUT, it also made me wonder about these other networks. What I saw was alarming, these other networks are price gouging all other EV drivers. Here's an article about it, on Electrik :

https://electrek.co/2019/08/12/kwh-pricing-ev-drivers-miss-benefits/
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
California passed a law banning per-minute for power... Although they can charge you for parking and overtime fees.

That means charging my bike (which maxes at 1.4kW) should be cheaper than it is now, where the 'session' fee might be more than all the energy I use, let alone the per minute fee.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
California passed a law banning per-minute for power... Although they can charge you for parking and overtime fees.

That means charging my bike (which maxes at 1.4kW) should be cheaper than it is now, where the 'session' fee might be more than all the energy I use, let alone the per minute fee.

-Crissa
I'm blown away by the pricing these networks are getting away with. At least when you have the Cybertruck you'll be able to charge your bike from the outlet in the bed, so then you'll be pretty much getting Tesla's fair market rate.
I honestly think the oil companies are behind some of this crap. I've been reading about Shell and different oil companies investing in charging networks. Talk about making a deal with the devil!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I'm blown away by the pricing these networks are getting away with. At least when you have the Cybertruck you'll be able to charge your bike from the outlet in the bed, so then you'll be pretty much getting Tesla's fair market rate.
I honestly think the oil companies are behind some of this crap. I've been reading about Shell and different oil companies investing in charging networks. Talk about making a deal with the devil!
Probably part of why Tesla saw the need real early to have its own charging network.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
For those of you who don't feel like reading the long article in Electrik, HERE'S the part of the article that explains just how bad these theives are ripping people off.

If you’re fueling up at Electrify America’s middle price-tier, you’ll pay approximately $22 for 30 minutes which would fuel the typical EV with 22-30 kWh, paying upwards of $1.00/kWh. That’s $22 to drive 90 miles in your EV, more expensive than driving a Chevy Tahoe (~$16 in gas at $3.00 per gallon).

Just a reminder, the average price per KWH for residential is 13 cents.

Here's the whole article: https://electrek.co/2019/08/12/kwh-pricing-ev-drivers-miss-benefits/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The price to place a single charger is extraordinary. We're talking $100K for the permits for a single low-power station.

So they're not exactly racking in the coin. There's just no market incentive to build these charging stations, especially if they can't charge exorbitant rates.

It's a mess, really.

-Crissa
Sponsored