Any other pickups considered before reserving your CT?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
I was just looking at an Audi Q5 plugin hybrid.
Not a truck but a pretty darn nice SUV.
Rated at 19 miles all electric, but supposedly actually has a 29 mile range. And considering that 95% of most people’s daily commutes are under 6 miles, I could conceivably operate electric most of the time.
The rated eMPG is something like 100 eMPG.

Maybe I’d sell it when my CT number comes up. ?
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I was just looking at an Audi Q5 plugin hybrid.
Not a truck but a pretty darn nice SUV.
Rated at 19 miles all electric, but supposedly actually has a 29 mile range. And considering that 95% of most people’s daily commutes are under 6 miles, I could conceivably operate electric most of the time.
The rated eMPG is something like 100 eMPG.

Maybe I’d sell it when my CT number comes up. ?
Hybrids are dumb. Especially hybrid SUV's. They still have a gas engine and all the crap that goes along with them and if you take them on a roadtrip you are all gasoline with a small gas engine reving high just to propel that blob down the highway at 75 mph. They also have small gas tanks and are very expensive for what you get and too complicated for their capabilities.

Truly the worst of both worlds. Just say "No" to hybrids.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Hybrids are dumb. Especially hybrid SUV's. They still have a gas engine and all the crap that goes along with them and if you take them on a roadtrip you are all gasoline with a small gas engine reving high just to propel that blob down the highway at 75 mph. They also have small gas tanks and are very expensive for what you get and too complicated for their capabilities.

Truly the worst of both worlds. Just say "No" to hybrids.
Thanks for your opinion.

Like I said most people commute about 6 miles a day. And “road trips” are the exception.
Also being a plug-in, that helps keep you away from the gas station.
The success of hybrids has been a large part of the bridge to full up EVs, and they have their place. For example the Toyota Prius.

So until I can buy an EV that suits my needs, a plug-in hybrid is an acceptable alternative.

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
Here is some more info about commutes. Its a bit old, and I’ve also seen that the average work commute was increasing, but I’m sure the pandemic and shift to telework has vastly decreased the miles driven.

https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1006/ML100621425.pdf

My commute is exactly 50 feet to my office. On the rare occasions I go in to work, it’s about 3 miles, round trip.

So its just trips to grocery stores, etc, now. And not many of those since I now get groceries delivered.

Also, were I to go on a road trip, I’d rather rely on gas for now, until the charging infrastructure is more fully built out.

Would I prefer to buy a full up EV… definitely. but until I can have one that better suits my needs (CT), a PHEV will do just fine.

As the old internet saying goes… YMMV.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
But it has seven pieces of glass...

-Crissa
And even if you count the two panes on the windshield as "one window" it still has six windows. So I'm not sure where the "five window" designation came from.

OP
OP
Mini2nut

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Rivian R1T. For a brand new vehicle from a brand new manufacturer they got it 99.8% right. A quad electric motor billy goat off-road and a performance sports car on the street that does 0-60 in 3 seconds.

The best feature is the McLaren designed adjustable air suspension using Ohlins shocks. You can tell that Rivian obsessed over designing and engineering this unique suspension. There is currently no better pickup truck suspension from the factory. I am hoping the Cybertrucks air suspension matches or exceed Rivian’s.

BEV vehicles are the future for off-road adventuring. Check out this 100% stock R1T climbing Hell’s Gate in Moab, Utah.

Last edited:

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I don't care how good some of the 'wannabes' are (and some of them indeed are probably quite compelling). The fact remains, Tesla has paved the way for showing us what can be done in a business model fostering innovation, without the entanglements of Dealer Associations, Unions, and MSM Advertising requiring excessive overhead and sucking from quality substance and margins like the political parasites that they are.

Tesla has a leg up largely because of their focus on substance and integrity at heart. For other manufacturers to regain our trust they too - must show they have the peoples interest and not so much of their own, sincerely in their heart. I would like this to be possibly the case at some point with legacy automakers turning over a new leaf, but I am certainly not holding my breath.

As long as legacy automakers allow media marketing, expensive dealerships, and union entanglements to be an extension of their processes, they will never be sincerely focused on quality cars for owner experience - as all this adipose tissue and fat in their business model is what they are making customers pay for right now, while being financially strangled by it all at the same time.

Yes, at first glance many of their products are compelling and look great. But after ownership over a period of time with expensive dealership visits and service shenanigans, one begins to see the extent of all the non-product overhead they have actually been paying for - and how much car for their money they could've gotten otherwise.

Last edited:

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
I really don't need a truck either. I was holding out for a Model 3 when I was in the market to buy, then the CT came along with price and utility comparison I figured this could be the last car I ever buy for myself. (My wife will have to change hers ?). I reserved about 12 hours after reveal and glad I did! (Assuming that Tesla can still make good on price locked in. )

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I am curious if members considered any other pickup trucks, ICE or BEV, before placing a Cybertruck deposit. Here are mine in “lust factor” order;

#1: Cybertruck (Dual Motor on order)
#2: Rivian R1T (digging the 800HP quad motor drivetrain)
#3: Ford Raptor (have wanted one since the 2nd generation debuted in 2017)

1A60E8C0-2ED5-4292-8547-CF70A8AF7922.jpeg

6C897970-8B10-497B-81DA-239CF801273B.jpeg

349D0301-6751-4EAC-AAE3-054E00BA1CEE.jpeg
Rivian's R1-T, not at all interested in any ICE vehicle.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
I seriously considered the F150 lightning last year
it wasn't available last year for order when i looked​
it looks now like it will be a true niche vehicle with no long term plans to make many of them​
the price for range over 350 miles looks like it will be higher than the CT​
then i considered the chevy electric but i WANT the CT and it will be available first.

So long term assuming the CT tri engine with no extras stays reasonable i will get one of those!

Art O'Connor

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2010 Chevrolet K2500HD PU
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
When first presented, I knew Cyber was for me. So, considering others before Cyber? No. However, Elon keeps postponing the delivery date and my old pickup (13 yrs., 150,000 miles) is showing signs of impending doom. So, I am looking at alternatives that might be acceptable. Not the Rivan - too small (about the size of a Canyon/Tacoma), no towing capability, expensive (same price as full-sized pickup). Lightning? With a 70 mile towing range? I don't think so. Both of those also look like pickups have for 70 years. Electrics have no big engine in front, why still have big blocky front end? I agree with the guy above, SS means no paint chips. Although, I am going to have my CT wrapped. I am thinking a dragon! Or maybe a velocirapter? Clear behind the photo so the SS shines though ...