Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
They need the supply of 4680 cells to exceed the number needed for Y, Cybertruck, and Semi, before they can port it to the 3.

The pack used in the 3 is structurally similar to the structural pack - just it weighs more for less batteries.

The theory at Tesla Daily is the new lower range cars are the Austin Ys. People buying those won't be as picky.

Timepoint 3:07

-Crissa
That is a good theory. Fremont will still be perceived (and actually be) as the premium model shipper until Austin gets geared up to produce the long range and performance versions of the Y. By that time they will be able to afford to shut down Fremont for a month to make the change over to 4680. Battery scaling is continuing to ramp during this period as well so this will maximize use of 2170 supply currently available.

Tesla knows what they are doing. It is a starting to make sense.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't think Tesla intended for shorter range Model Ys. Tesla was waiting for a Certificate of Conformity for their 4680 Model Y from the EPA. They were awarded it this February, and then the EPA posted information on a 279 mile range Modle Y. This Y was only 1.6% or so more efficient than the current Y, and had a lot less capacity in its battery pack.

I think Tesla tried to build a 4680 Model Y with too few cells to match the current 2170 Model Y. They may have overestimated their 4680 cells and/or the structural battery pack. Now they're awaiting approval on another model, perhaps a Model Y with more 4680s to match the range of the current Model Y.
I can’t imagine Tesla sent a car in to the EPA which was 26% and 15% short of their goal (for the SR and AWD versions respectively). It’s possible, but seems unlikely.

Also, the new models both have not just different ranges, but different names. The lower range one is the Model Y SR and the middle range Model Y AWD (no LR).

My thinking is the 279 mile range will be coming out of Fremont using 2170 cells which is why it is so close in efficiency to the current one.

Either way, we’ll see soon enough… or not.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
What's even more amazing
Some dude and dudettes even with all this EV increase cost to build and price increases still think that crazy low $39,900 price is still good.
Hey! I locked in my CT price day one at $39,900
Well
Hey! I got news for you. You are living in a dream world!

I’ve suggested very much what you have in the very top post without being a jerk. Maybe you could consider the same?

PaulS

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I can’t imagine Tesla sent a car in to the EPA which was 26% and 15% short of their goal (for the SR and AWD versions respectively). It’s possible, but seems unlikely.

Also, the new models both have not just different ranges, but different names. The lower range one is the Model Y SR and the middle range Model Y AWD (no LR).
I agree it seems strange, but it seems to make the most sense based on timing. It's my understanding that the SR figures have been on EPA'S site for a while. With the new Certificate of Conformance in process I expect a fifth Model Y configuration to show up on the EPA'S site.

My guess is it will be an improved Giga Texas version (probaly closer to 330 mile range), but we will see. Supposedly the data is expected in early April, just in time for the festival at Giga Texas.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Really good/ interesting comments from Rob Mauerer on the

He’s the money shot

Tesla Cybertruck Buggrit, Across the Board Tesla Price Increases 1647407253197

Tesla’s actual cost of goods sale went **down** during 2021.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For the moment anyhow, I suspect every EV made will get sold at full retail. Just too much demand for them right now.

Tesla pushing up prices gives the rest of the market breathing room to get their production online. Huge profits rolling into Tesla right now while the rest of the industry is struggling to break even.

Good for Tesla shareholders, good for legacy auto in a way. Its all good… unless you gotta buy a Tesla now. Maybe some relief down the road. We’ll see.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The Model 3 is too small?

What, daily family driving is 5-6 people? O-o

-Crissa
I think most people buy a vehicle for the the freak 10% of needs. Like you say, I bet the Model 3 will work for 1-4 people 90% of the time.

If you only need something at the lumber yard/nursery 2x per month the cost of delivery is probably cheaper and less hassle all things considered. A micro lease or truck share might be even better, I hope these options grow in the near future.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think most people buy a vehicle for the the freak 10% of needs. Like you say, I bet the Model 3 will work for 1-4 people 90% of the time.
Yeah, which is why I don't hassle Ogre about it. But Long Wolf said 'daily family driving' not 'family road trips'. Once you have three and a pet, a sedan just maxes out. But that's not what he said.

If you only need something at the lumber yard/nursery 2x per month the cost of delivery is probably cheaper and less hassle all things considered. A micro lease or truck share might be even better, I hope these options grow in the near future.
Delivery is minimum $100 here, so... on top of the monthly cost of a car it switches right quick. Which is why the Cybertruck is what I reserved.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, which is why I don't hassle Ogre about it. But Long Wolf said 'daily family driving' not 'family road trips'. Once you have three and a pet, a sedan just maxes out. But that's not what he said.
I didn’t say Model 3 was too small did I?

Everyone has their own needs.

Until I get the Cybertruck mine look like this:
Tesla Cybertruck Buggrit, Across the Board Tesla Price Increases 1647461619273

With 4 adults in the front.

But lots of people don’t use their car to go to trailwork days with big piles of tools and 4 people.