Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
California plans to ban sale of new gasoline-powered passenger vehicles in 2035

Per Autonews

September 23, 2020

WASHINGTON/LOS ANGELES -- California plans to ban the sale of new gasoline powered passenger cars and trucks starting in 2035 in a dramatic move to shift to EVs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, Gov. Gavin Newsom said on Wednesday.

"This is the most impactful step our state can take to fight climate change," Newsom said in a statement announcing his executive order. "For too many decades, we have allowed cars to pollute the air that our children and families breathe. You deserve to have a car that doesn’t give your kids asthma... Cars shouldn’t melt glaciers or raise sea levels threatening our cherished beaches and coastlines."

California is the largest U.S. auto market, accounting for about 11 percent of all U.S. vehicle sales, and many states choose to adopt its green vehicle mandates.

Newsom also wants the state Legislature to stop issuing new permits by 2024 allowing use of hydraulic fracturing technology for oil and gas drilling.

President Donald Trump has sought to bar California from requiring sale of EVs, while his rival Joe Biden has pledged to spend billions to speed the adoption of EVs.

California said it was joining 15 countries that have made similar pledges, including Britain.

Newsom said the California Air Resources Board will develop regulations to mandate that 100 percent of in-state sales of new passenger cars and trucks are zero-emission by 2035, which would cut greenhouse gas emissions by 35 percent. The board also plans to mandate by 2045 that all operations of medium- and heavy-duty vehicles be zero emission where feasible.

Newsom's executive order will not prevent Californians from owning gasoline-powered cars or selling them on the used-car market.

In response to a record wildfire season in the state, Newsom earlier this month said California needed to "fast track" its efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change. "Across the entire spectrum, our goals are inadequate to the reality we are experiencing," he said on Sept. 11 while touring a burned area in the state.

California and nearly two dozen other states sued the Trump administration seeking to block the government from undoing California’s authority to set strict car pollution rules and rolling back nationwide emissions standard.

The Trump administration has been waging a multi-pronged battle to counter California's efforts to fight climate change by reducing emissions of greenhouse gasses from vehicles.
Sponsored

Jow

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser, '94 Bronco
Occupation
Biz Owner
Country flag
sure hasn't helped T stock. also, we used to have glaciers here in WI, they were gone long before we came around...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
its not enough fast enough, but at least some1 is trying, CA seems to have to lead in many places.
I think that's an actual doable timeline.
5-10 years all these investments into ev's will be pushing them to cheaper prices affordable by everyone.
5 after that to stop sells, than 10-20 after than before the combustion cars start going to dumps.

about 25-30 years. until most the combustion cars r off the roads.
About the same time Elons mars base will be getting a decent amount of people (if his plans work)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
agreed that we should have a choice, and we will for used cars. This isnt really sayin WE cant get gas cars. its saying companies cant sell new gas cars, arnt states doing this vs EV's right now? theres ways around it if you really want a gas car.

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
Authoritarians limiting choice. It would be hilarious if they defund anyone who can enforce their edicts, although I suspect in 2035 California, someone selling an ICE vehicle would be more likely to go jail then someone stealing one.

I prefer Elon's way, solve the problem by making a better product and figuring out how to produce that product on a massive scale.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A) Plastics (and most products made from fossil deposits) are not being put into the atmosphere. How is burning oil into the atmosphere at all similar to 'making plastic'?

B) By saying 'Hey, don't do this' we force the market to find new options.

C) No one said you can't sell old cars, just not new ones. No one is saying anything about arresting anyone. You do know there's a huge breadth of solutions between 'allow' and 'arrest', right?

It's not a choice between Elon and fossil fuels. It's a race. Elon is only working on the problem from one end - and it's up to us to work at it from other ends. (Well, he's working at it from a couple ends with tunneling, space, and electrified transportation, but there's still more). The more demand we take from fossil fuels, the cheaper they'll become - so we need to make sure their cost to the environment is priced into them. And sometimes there aren't market solutions, and we ban things. Like leaded gas.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Those dern authoritarians banned my styrofoam big mac container. I should have the choice if I want to die in a world where 10 minutes in the sun results in death. Why should I care that everything is dead?

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I'm glad California is pushing this. Texas will NEVER do this.. but this forces the market to start pushing more to switch to EV's which I think is a big positive thing. But I also think Tesla has already scared everyone into submission.

RedBeardNP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Nissan Leaf; cybertruck - reserved
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
My biggest thing with this is that according to the above this was done on executive order, not by a vote of the state's legislature. I don't necessarily disagree with the move just the tactics. Kinda getting tired of presidents and governors being able to "executively order" whatever they wish. What is the point of electing representatives?

showmemo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2000 M Roadster, XC 40, TriMotor CT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Once ICE car numbers decline and gas sales decline, where are the states/feds going to get that tax revenue? The cost of each gallon of gas includes a considerable percent of tax revenue. For example, in MO, each gallon of gas includes 17.42 cents of state tax and 18.40 cents of federal tax. Standard Unleaded is $1.96 today resulting in 18%+ of the price going to the government in taxes. California state tax is much more at 62.47 cents per gallon.

This will have to be replaced somewhere. Maybe they start taxing (or increase taxes) on electricity?

Not saying we shouldn't be transitioning away from oil, but I wonder what the 'unintended consequences' are going to be of some of this new legislation.

RedBeardNP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Nissan Leaf; cybertruck - reserved
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Once ICE car numbers decline and gas sales decline, where are the states/feds going to get that tax revenue? The cost of each gallon of gas includes a considerable percent of tax revenue. For example, in MO, each gallon of gas includes 17.42 cents of state tax and 18.40 cents of federal tax. Standard Unleaded is $1.96 today resulting in 18%+ of the price going to the government in taxes. California state tax is much more at 62.47 cents per gallon.

This will have to be replaced somewhere. Maybe they start taxing (or increase taxes) on electricity?

Not saying we shouldn't be transitioning away from oil, but I wonder what the 'unintended consequences' are going to be of some of this new legislation.
I live in OH and drive a Nissan Leaf. EV and hybrid owners pay a higher fee on their annual registration renewals for this very reason. EV pays a little more than hybrid I believe

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
The open markets will have a huge impact between now and 15 years from now. How many people buy film cameras now? EV's will show their superiority and benefits to all well before 2035. I also agree, I don't like authoritarians making executive orders. Nobody likes being force fed.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.