Can a third party take delivery of your truck for you if you are out of the country?

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Basically. Wait on them indefinitely, with no updates or estimates until very late in the process. Even the estimate they give you to get your deposit won't be shown in your account (let alone updated). But your order agreement gives you 3 days to pick it up after they say so, and they can give it to the next person. If you don't respond to them at all within 14 days of them contacting you about pickup, they can cancel your order and keep the deposit.

This doesn't mean they for sure will do those things, just that they can. Likely they would push you back until the next truckload at least once before they hard cancel you. Unless you just don't respond to them.
3 days is not very long, especially if you are overseas. Gonna fly home early from a business trip to pick up a vehicle?
Not a factor for most people who work a 9-5 from the same place and take one vacation to Branson once a year, but for those that travel for work would be a little scary.
Sponsored

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
3 days is not very long, especially if you are overseas. Gonna fly home early from a business trip to pick up a vehicle?
Not a factor for most people who work a 9-5 from the same place and take one vacation to Branson once a year, but for those that travel for work would be a little scary.
I agree. This was one of the first things I thought about when I ordered, was that I basically cannot leave the immediate area for more than 2 or 3 days at a time until the truck is delivered.

I have a friend who wants to fly in when the truck is delivered, and he has to be on standby because there's no way to push it out once they are ready.

It would be less obnoxious if they would provide basic estimates like a build date or ship date (like every other manufacturer who allows custom orders does). But it could be 3 days from vin to delivery or it could be 14. and the only indicator you have that you're close is vin assignment.

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I agree. This was one of the first things I thought about when I ordered, was that I basically cannot leave the immediate area for more than 2 or 3 days at a time until the truck is delivered.

I have a friend who wants to fly in when the truck is delivered, and he has to be on standby because there's no way to push it out once they are ready.

It would be less obnoxious if they would provide basic estimates like a build date or ship date (like every other manufacturer who allows custom orders does). But it could be 3 days from vin to delivery or it could be 14. and the only indicator you have that you're close is vin assignment.
If it was an order today, get notice next week, deliver the following week sure.
But reserve 4 years ago, order in December, and then "GOTTA GET YOUR TRUCK BY MONDAY OR ITS GONE" seems pretty nuts.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
If it was an order today, get notice next week, deliver the following week sure.
But reserve 4 years ago, order in December, and then "GOTTA GET YOUR TRUCK BY MONDAY OR ITS GONE" seems pretty nuts.
That's what they've done on their previous backlogged vehicles.

One of the bigger reasons is that Tesla facilities normally don't have a lot of storage space. I remember picking up my early Model 3, there was barely space for me to park the car that I came in.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD
Country flag
Certainly, other dealers will allow a POA for the sale/delivery of a vehicle. Not sure I buy the point that Tesla doesn’t accept a POA. Maybe so, but at least I question that statement.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Certainly, other dealers will allow a POA for the sale/delivery of a vehicle. Not sure I buy the point that Tesla doesn’t accept a POA. Maybe so, but at least I question that statement.
I would not accept any word except for the delivery person assigned to your truck at point of delivery regarding the question of accepting or not. I would then ask for "Yes we can do it in writing".

Carmino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Cybertruck Foundation AWD
You are of course welcome to accept or question any statements. I posted that info to help out anyone else who might be in a similar situation. FWIW, I talked to three different service centers who handle CT deliveries in California and they all said absolutely no POA. If someone else finds a service center who accepts it, that would be great and more power to them. :p

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I would not accept any word except for the delivery person assigned to your truck at point of delivery regarding the question of accepting or not. I would then ask for "Yes we can do it in writing".
100% this

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You are of course welcome to accept or question any statements. I posted that info to help out anyone else who might be in a similar situation. FWIW, I talked to three different service centers who handle CT deliveries in California and they all said absolutely no POA. If someone else finds a service center who accepts it, that would be great and more power to them. :p
Agreeing.

As an example, how hard is it to fake a Power of Attorney?

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Tesla Cybertruck Can a third party take delivery of your truck for you if you are out of the country? Screenshot_20240312-195550

This might help clear things up.

evnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Do all the celebrities take their CT in person. I doubt it.

More importantly I don't understand how it is legal for Tesla to refuse POA. If someone with POA can buy million $ home in my name, why can't they get a CT ?!

Reactions: REM

Carmino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Cybertruck Foundation AWD

More importantly I don't understand how it is legal for Tesla to refuse POA. If someone with POA can buy million $ home in my name, why can't they get a CT ?!

Car dealerships in CA are not legally required to accept a POA.

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag

Well you’re not a celebrity. Yet…. Haha
Sponsored