John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
If you invest based on my input, please deposit 10%.

If you resale an extra truck, negotiate the sale of the reservation, or invest/don’t invest, I wish you good fortune.
Sponsored

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I'm curious if the CB demand is still crazy when they start delivering them, and the secondary market is significantly more than what I paid for it, like $25K more, is there any reason I can't sell it to a third party?
Hey didn't you hear that due to the low center of gravity, all EV vehicles are hard to "flip". The Cybertruck especially so due to its air suspension. :D

Cyber_Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Siennas (2)
Country flag
Hey didn't you hear that due to the low center of gravity, all EV vehicles are hard to "flip". The Cybertruck especially so due to its air suspension. :D
Yeah, but if he wants to make money flipping it, I would pay to watch! :oops:

Kim Best

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not trying to make a quick resale, but I do have two reservations so let's say the demand was huge after they started delivering the trucks and i could make another $5k+ to sell my spot or the truck after delivery. Is there anything in the Tesla terms and conditions that prevents me from selling. I know the Model X was selling for a premium after it lanched you could've made $20K +, but i believe Tesla put something in the purchase contract that didn't allow you to buy it to flip. Im not 100% sure, i just figured this would be the place to ask.
I bought 2.. a dual and tri motor both with FSD options.. I’m going to place the dual into the ride share and drive the tri motor - sweet.. the dual can make me money and pay for them both

OP
OP

cryptotruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pilot, Optima
Country flag
I bought 2.. a dual and tri motor both with FSD options.. I’m going to place the dual into the ride share and drive the tri motor - sweet.. the dual can make me money and pay for them both
What rideshare service will you use?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree, it is a big backlash after 4 years of anti-environment.
Can we please keep political positions off this site as much as possible? I am pretty certain that there are as many political views as the number of Cybertruck owners club forum members, but I think it would be best for all of us to keep them to ourselves.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
I'm not trying to make a quick resale, but I do have two reservations so let's say the demand was huge after they started delivering the trucks and i could make another $5k+ to sell my spot or the truck after delivery. Is there anything in the Tesla terms and conditions that prevents me from selling. I know the Model X was selling for a premium after it lanched you could've made $20K +, but i believe Tesla put something in the purchase contract that didn't allow you to buy it to flip. Im not 100% sure, i just figured this would be the place to ask.
You figured "This would be the place to ask?" I'll take a stab at an answer (I looked at the order agreement for 5 seconds so consider the source):

The Pre-Order Agreement contains the following: "No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or ... you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith."

This is not legal advice or an opinion: But perhaps technically we have not agreed to retain the vehicle for any length of time (based on my quick scan of only portions of the Agreement). It seems we may have agreed that if we get caught wanting to resell (while our order is open), Tesla can cancel our order. Bottom line: In Tesla's quest to have a common sense agreement they forgot to expressly get reservation-holders to agree they won't immediately resell. They rely on reservation-holders to infer such a term based on the heading "No Resellers." If we didn't promise not to resell then arguably we can resell. If Tesla finds out we want to resell, they can cancel our order. That's how I interpret what I have reviewed so far (contracts).

Profit-making is the American way but for some reason I despise the idea of scalping CTs. Even though I use ticket scalpers from time-to-time (usually after the game/concert starts)

Last edited:

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
In order to resale, original purchaser must take possession and pay appropriate taxes. Upon selling, new purchase pays taxes on the new price.
resellers pass on taxes to the buyer, cannot be done this way based on the reservation agreement.

anything can be monetized, pet rock comes to mind.

bfdog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, Honda Element, GX470
Country flag
In order to resale, original purchaser must take possession and pay appropriate taxes. Upon selling, new purchase pays taxes on the new price.
resellers pass on taxes to the buyer, cannot be done this way based on the reservation agreement.

anything can be monetized, pet rock comes to mind.
I think Tesla broadly interprets "reseller" as someone who purchases with a view at selling rather than consuming regardless of when, whether, or from whom taxes are paid to government entities.

I was thinking Tesla probably requires the title be issued in the name of the reservation holder, or they won't sell the truck. But since that would be a wild-ass-guess I didn't say it. Similarly, I didn't see taxes or possession mentioned in the No Reseller section. The recourse Tesla carved out is to cancel the orders of suspected resellers. My WAG is they require the title be issued (i.e., applied for) in the name of the reservation holder. I've never bought a Tesla though. So yeah, taxes would be due at that time according to Texas. And even a quick flip would require paying taxes twice (by first purchaser and second purchaser) (absent a trade-in of equal value in Texas).

If somebody reserved 50 trucks with the intent to resell (even though they were going to pay the taxes and take possession), I think Tesla would cancel the orders. Yes, anything can be monetized--getting paid $350 an hour to review and interpret contracts comes to mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cryptotruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pilot, Optima
Country flag
You figured "This would be the place to ask?" I'll take a stab at an answer (I looked at the order agreement for 5 seconds so consider the source):

The Pre-Order Agreement contains the following: "No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or ... you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith."

This is not legal advice or an opinion: But perhaps technically we have not agreed to retain the vehicle for any length of time (based on my quick scan of only portions of the Agreement). It seems we may have agreed that if we get caught wanting to resell (while our order is open), Tesla can cancel our order. Bottom line: In Tesla's quest to have a common sense agreement they forgot to expressly get reservation-holders to agree they won't immediately resell. They rely on reservation-holders to infer such a term based on the heading "No Resellers." If we didn't promise not to resell then arguably we can resell. If Tesla finds out we want to resell, they can cancel our order. That's how I interpret what I have reviewed so far (contracts).

Profit-making is the American way but for some reason I despise the idea of scalping CTs. Even though I use ticket scalpers from time-to-time (usually after the game/concert starts)
This is great. Thank you for taking the time to look this up.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
It wouldn't be the first time demand out performed supply, and people could sell their vehicle for more than they payed for it. BTW the prices of the model Y were less at the reveal than Tesla is quoting now. I will be SHOCKED if anybody gets there new Cybertruck for the prices at the reveal.
Well lets not forget that the Model Y was a much more conventional vehicle. The cyber was designed specifically for quick and cheap mass manufacturing. I honestly could see prices decrease from what they offered at the event if they can get the cost of the batteries down.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I put an order in for a Model Y and the prices barely changed at all. I cancelled my order but my wife's Model 3 order only changed by tax and licensing. What we found frustrating is the advertising for rebates from the state and federal government and how painfully painful they would have been to take advantage of. I really don't expect Tesla to change the CT prices much except for their normal (different wheels, maybe a wired trailer hitch, different interior material). Tesla doesn't offer many options on their cars.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well lets not forget that the Model Y was a much more conventional vehicle. The cyber was designed specifically for quick and cheap mass manufacturing. I honestly could see prices decrease from what they offered at the event if they can get the cost of the batteries down.
I'm in wait and see mode.
Sponsored