A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I don't think anyone has suggested that the CT is suitable for towing heavy construction equipment. You can get what looks to me like a huuuuge 5th wheel camper for under 14,000 lbs, The numbers indicate a CT can tow somthing like that without breaking a sweat.

If you are lucky you will certainly do better than 200 but you can also be unlucky and get less.

Yes, I think it safe to assume that a vehicle with 1000 mile range would have an advantage over one with 500. Clearly the TriMotor is designed to tow. I expect that Telsa's specifiction of the weight limit was based on the size of the larger campers (as opposed to trailers for road graders) and the range chosen such that with a trailer of such size customer satisfying range would be available. They could doubtless cram in more battery if they thought they had to but they chose not to probably in a trade between range and cost. Perhaps they miscalculated. 650,000 people don't seem to think so at this point but we shall see when customers actually start pulling trailers.
Sponsored

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just out of curiosity...will you be using the CT to tow a trailer or towing the CT behind a large RV?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Holy moly! My 2013 F350 has a 36 gallon tank. I had no idea Ford shoved such a big tank into their trucks. But, they sure did. My range was pretty much limited to about 350 miles. Of course, that's about 5 hours of driving. I suppose I should say that my REAL range is bladder limited to about 260 miles of range at which point, I'll spend 10 minutes fueling, 2 minutes peeing, 5 minutes looking for either something to drink (continuing the problem...) or more likely to snack on, and another 10-20 minutes waiting on the girls. So, 27-37 minutes per stop is pretty normal on my road trips. I don't know how much electrical range that kind of time would add but it'd be easier... I could plug in, take care of business while it's charging, and maybe watch half an episode of "The Office" or something... Or, maybe, just take a nap. I'm looking forward to napping while charging. Game changer, there.
Sponsored