Charging new CTs?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
A related, but equally weird thought. What if Tesla were to start installing solar charging arrays at businesses with V2G capabilities. So your car gets free power every day when you go to work, but also buffers the power grid when needed.

This whole V2G (vehicle to grid) concept kind of grows on you when you think about it. Particularly if paired with Tesla’s virtual power plant concept.
Yep, at home or at work, wherever the EVs spend the most time sitting parked in the sun should be the priority location for getting solar panels installed.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don’t know about you but paying for a new truck and getting a used one don’t sit well with me. Every cycle of that battery has to serve it’s owner.
Batteries have to be cycled during their proofing. And even if they just used a few percent of the battery power of each one, it would be a massive amount. Think if they used just from 40-60% charge, that's like 20 to 40 kWh per truck. There will be 600 coming out of the factory every day - at their original production numbers. That's twelve megawatt-hours of power... Just from these trucks.

It's not much compared to the grid, about 330 houses for an hour. But yeah, it could be massive.

To be honest, my house doesn't even use 20kWh any day.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
<Snip>
I don’t know about you but paying for a new truck and getting a used one don’t sit well with me. Every cycle of that battery has to serve it’s owner.
Electronics fail upfront in first use and within first 30da. Being used is a guarantee that it is not defective. That’s verification and validation. Tesla performs this on a cell-level. I’m impressed @Ogre deduced a natural extension practical solution to battery pack drain. Tesla just addressed their BEV weak link upgrading AGM 12v to SS battery.

Not all cycles are created equal. Tesla has the resources to throw at executing a battery pack conditioning system to leverage first-use AND Charger2G to minimize cost to deliver vehicles to customer from GigaFactories in tiptop charge.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Friend just got his MYP delivered with about 65% charge, which makes sense as it was driven from the closest truck delivery point to his house. So probably shipped at 70.

Using all the waiting vehicles as batteries would add massively to the time spent prepping and moving them. Right now a lot guy runs off after parking them, imagine having to plug all of them in too. And how long do they sit? Hours? Days? If it's hours then the value is even lower. And hundreds of miles of heavy copper, with necessary electronics, covering acres of space? I don't see that math working out for the few times that it's needed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Using all the waiting vehicles as batteries would add massively to the time spent prepping and moving them. Right now a lot guy runs off after parking them, imagine having to plug all of them in too. And how long do they sit? Hours? Days? If it's hours then the value is even lower. And hundreds of miles of heavy copper, with necessary electronics, covering acres of space? I don't see that math working out for the few times that it's needed.
The idea was meant more as a thought experiment than a practical business solution. You are spot on. They are getting those off premises as quickly as possible. Leaving them parked for days is unlikely.

Though if you assume the parking area is laid out well, it would only take about 10 seconds to plug each truck in and the same to unplug it before leaving. The question is whether that time cost along with the cost of the infrastructure would be worth whatever value having that short term storage would bring.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
And hundreds of miles of heavy copper, with necessary electronics, covering acres of space?
Maybe they daisychain them. CT closest to the building is plugged in to the building. The CT next to it is plugged into the first CT's 230V outlet. And so on....

(Please realize I'm kidding)

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
They have parallel backbones and branches per charge pedestal in the older ones, two branches on the new ones (one per car). Three phase 480v. Doesn't fix the miles of copper issue.

Joking aside...worth knowing... A friend of mine has been involved in the installation. His company does major road and facility construction, heavy electrical.
Sponsored