luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Our 2008 Scion xB had a (premium - we paid 2K extra) sound system by Alpine. That included a nice GPS display with maps navigation. There was no subscription/download service required. All the map data existed on a DVD that was loaded into the CPU unit (can't think of a better word for it, it was not the head unit). And while this meant there was no charge for getting map data, it also meant that by the time I sold the car after 11 years, that map data was 11 years out of date. Now, you COULD get an updated DVD, but the cost was $300 USD. That was the price in 2008, I'm sure it has gone up over the years.

The main point of this is.... THERE IS NEVER A FREE LUNCH. Either you pay monthly, or you pay in one big chunk to keep your data up to date.

Your google maps (and that is NOT what you get on Tesla), is only available because you have a paid internet connection at home, or paid cellphone service on your phone. And trust me, you are paying for the google map data, it's just not obvious how. :) Remember, if the service is "FREE", then YOU are the product. :)

PS. I don't know about you, but $10 USD only gets me drunk for about one night a month... :)
Yean but just like getting drunk one night a month I don't need the "service" anymore than I what I can get from google maps.
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
That is the beauty of a subscription service. You choose to subscribe or not. My current vehicle costs $18 a month for a lot less features and I choose not to subscribe. I do subscribe for some music and streaming services and not others based on the value to me.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'll say it again. The maps are free. What you are getting for your monthly fee is traffic advisories (which are amazingly accurate and timely), satellite view, streaming, internet access and Karaoke. Internet access is quite valuable as one can go to the TeslaWinds site which shows the grade you are on and head/tail and cross wind components which is very helpful in making the decision as to whether a planned charging stop can be skipped or if an extra stop is necessary.

Last edited:

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
The system will get better with the satellite based internet from Tesla.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
The system will get better with the satellite based internet from Tesla.
how will that work if the car only has a cell phone connection? Satellites require different hardware.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
My 2018 X has two satellite modems. One for Sirius and one for GPS. It should not be a big deal to install equipment for the Tesla satellite internet system if that is their intent.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I have looked at several different shots of the UI for CT in all of them the 024° - 020°. I think this is Celsius and since it's over by the range display can it be coolant temperature as in motor coolant? It does have the 0 in front of it which implies a normal running display of 3 digits. In all of the shots the speedometer shows a low speed which could imply the photos are taken at the start of the ride and the motors are cool.

Homestead

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Diesel VW, F350, Prius Prime
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I would like to know more about the energy monitoring. I expect some battery monitoring functions. Total miles per KWH? Miles to go before battery dies? Total KWH consumption to date? Efficiency of usage with respect to acceleration and braking? Regenerative options? How about a scorecard so we can feel good about our driving style? You know, compete with the wife's diving style...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We have to assume that the CT will display the same sort of information the current crop of Teslas do. I think that's a safe assumption. The following is based on the X.

There are trip odometers. The first gives the time, distance and average Wh/mi since you put the car in D. The second gives the miles, kWh used and Wh/mi since the last charge. The third and 4th are A and B odometers which start accumulating when you reset them which you can do independently. Many people never reset one and use it to display lifetime miles, kWh used and average kWh. They then use the others for trips, seasons or whatever. These can be displayed on the sub panels under the eyebrow on the X and S. Not sure where or whether they are thus available in the 3.

On the main display there are consumption graphs. The most useful is chosen when navigating to a destination. You set it up when you plan the trip. It shows miles to destination along the trip on the horizontal axis a SoC on the vertical as a descending line which contains little wiggles as the navigation system knows about and allows for variations in terrain elevation. As you drive a second curve is traced indicating your actual SoC historically to the left of your position and based on prediction to the right. Your estimated SoC at the destination is displayed. The prediction is based on SoC at your current location. your average consumption over the last 5, 10 or 30 miles and terrain ahead. There is a second flavor of this graph which only shows history based on current instantaneous consumption or average past consumption over the past 5, 10 or 30 miles. This graph is always available for display on the small panel if selected. That panel also displays power flow to or from the battery,

For logging you will need a third party app like TeslaFi which is continuously pinging your car for information about driving and charging. It doesn't catch everything but keeps a pretty good log from which you can determine things such as how many charges you did at home in January, how many kWh you took from the mains, how many you put into the battery. At the conclusion of each drive it sends you an e-mail with various statistics about energy used, Wh/mi, elevation change, average speed, temperature etc. There is a fee ($50/yr).

Last edited:

Stephe5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't currently own a Tesla so forgive me if this is obvious. The background behind the CT rendering looks like it is plaid. Could this be a hint that the UI is for the new plaid model S? Or that the CT is going to have a plaid option.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As no one (except Elon and his close associates) seem to really know what Plaid is except in the most general terms this is hard to say. One thing that seems certain is that a 3rd motor is an important part of it and, of course, the TriMotor will have 3 motors.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
You guys think there’s any possibility of Tesla adding a second display over the steering wheel?
I think the dashboard will change as no one has shown how the side view cameras are displayed.... if cameras are approved instead of mirrors which I hope they are.