Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I believe or at least hope it will as well. You bring a good point as there are no side mirrors. It’s a necessity for a second display in the drivers immediate view if cameras replace the side mirrors. I’m crossing my fingers and keeping hope.

I mean if this thing will be used for rugged terrain driving let’s help keep the drivers eyes on the terrain and not the center of the vehicle.

I think the dashboard will change as no one has shown how the side view cameras are displayed.... if cameras are approved instead of mirrors which I hope they are.
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
You guys think there’s any possibility of Tesla adding a second display over the steering wheel?
It's something on my wishlist, but I think that's less likely than an on windshield HUD option, which I'd buy in a heartbeat if for no other reason that "the rule of cool".

Cybertruck 1974

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Not sure so ask8ng, is it touch screen shifting between Forward, Reverse, etc?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Could be but doubt it based on the fact that all the current Tesla vehicles do gear shifting with a stalk on the steering column.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
Tesla will have invested minimally in the user interface for Cybertruck prior to the unveiling. They've got pretty much up to a few hours before delivering the first one to do something decent, and after that we'll all be getting upgrades and improvements regularly, many of them in response to requests from us. That's much of the point of having one big touch screen instead of a couple of dozen buttons, switches, and knobs. It can be kinda crappy today and increasingly awesome tomorrow.

Noncorporeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2010 Toyota Venza, 2007 Honda Element, 2021 CT dual motor
Country flag
One thing I dislike about the Cybertruck UI is the speedometer. I don't like that when you're between two numbers it rapidly goes back and forth between the numbers.

Look at the video below from 1:14-1:30 to see what I mean:

Im very confident that the version they were using on the prototype during the event wasn't close to the final version in terms of bugginess (like the quickly alternating speedometer). I highly highly highly doubt they would release something as buggy as this to the public. It's more likely that the UI team for this version was behind schedule or not given very much time to make sure the software was polished.

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
You guys think there’s any possibility of Tesla adding a second display over the steering wheel?
Like @fritter63 said, not a chance. But I do hope they increase the display size up from the 17" screen in the concept. And maybe go vertical orientation like in the X. When a screen is large I find it easier to use and read in a vertical orientation rather than horizontal.

OP
OP
VolklKatana

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Like @fritter63 said, not a chance. But I do hope they increase the display size up from the 17" screen in the concept. And maybe go vertical orientation like in the X. When a screen is large I find it easier to use and read in a vertical orientation rather than horizontal.
I don't see the screen getting much larger considering that a person needs to sit in that middle spot to seat 6. Going vertically with the screen makes it difficult to sit there without your knees resting on the screen.

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
One thing I dislike about the Cybertruck UI is the speedometer. I don't like that when you're between two numbers it rapidly goes back and forth between the numbers.

Look at the video below from 1:14-1:30 to see what I mean:

Good observation, that will be smoothed out for sure

thejohnllama

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Nissan Leaf, 2007 Toyota Prius
Occupation
Marketing Consultant
Country flag
I hope they do! Would minimize the eyes-off-the-road time when you check your speed, etc. Our Prius and Leaf have nicely placed speedometers, better than M3&Y

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
If you look at the bottom of the screen near the center it says something like, "PSYCHO - DAAANG" - now of course I know it's just the music section, but what if it described one of the Tri-Motor's performance settings?
???

Last edited:

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I hope they do! Would minimize the eyes-off-the-road time when you check your speed, etc. Our Prius and Leaf have nicely placed speedometers, better than M3&Y
I doubt they would and hope they don't add a screen behind the steering wheel. If you've ever driven a Model 3 or Y you realize that having the speed on the top left corner of the screen is not an issue. By the same logic, you still have to take your eyes off the road when looking down to see a traditional speedometer. The speed on these center screens is just to the top right of the steering wheel and everybody who's driven my Model 3 gets used to it right away.

Also, for those that say a display will be needed behind the steering wheel for the side view cameras, I'd say that doesn't make sense. First of all, the Cybertruck will have side view mirrors in North America unless the federal government changes the requirements to have one. If the law changes (or Tesla decides to use cameras to replace mirrors for locations like Europe that allow them) then it makes more sense to have two screens mounted on the door right where one would look for the side view mirror. Look at the Audi e-tron or Honda e for examples that make more sense, even though they are mounted slightly lower than the traditional side mirror location. IMO the Lexus ES 300h has a more logical location for the display, but it's not as integrated in the design and might not be as aesthetically pleasing.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I doubt they would and hope they don't add a screen behind the steering wheel.
I'm hoping for a HUD of some kind, a giant flat screen is perfect for one.

carpedatum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline, R1200RT, 4285 Express
Country flag
Borrowing here from an article on Mashable (by Sasha Lekach):

'“We discussed a HUD [for Model 3]. I’ve tried various HUDs and I find them pretty annoying. We felt that [Model 3] would increasingly go towards self-driving, and then you wouldn’t really care about having [information] on the windscreen. So, as things are approaching autonomy, why project things that you don’t care about on the [windscreen]?" Musk said.'

The logic one would have to get around is just this: If the truck is doing most of the driving on its own, do you really benefit from a HUD?

Actually I think we would. Cybertruck will be doing a LOT of things that a Model 3 won't and I don't expect to live long enough for Autopilot to be able to handle all of them. Towing heavy things in craptastic weather and ripping along unmarked, poorly-mapped dirt trails strike me as the obvious ones.

That said, somebody needs to put Elon in that kind of context, and he seems to be more of a Model-S-and-private-jet sorta person. He also needs to see some of the more recent, substantially less-annoying HUD implementations.

On the other hand, in a Tesla you NEED the touch screen, and you can put all the info you'd find on a HUD on the touch screen. A HUD would add complexity. Remember, Tesla pays a bunch of talented engineers to deliver new-and-cool changes to the touch screen continually. It's a significant effort for them to maintain the instrument cluster display on S/X in addition. A HUD would not just add costs to each vehicle so equipped - it would require paying a bunch of additional UX engineering talent, too, on an ongoing basis.
Sponsored