Concerned about safety when driving your Cybertruck?

mlhartley

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model 3 RWD, 2017 Chevrolet Volt,
Occupation
Retired Web Programmer
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
Sponsored

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think your concerns are valid. I have seen a lot of videos of century mode on Tesla cars capturing vandalism. Given that the CT seems to be even more polarizing than the other Tesla models being extra cautious would be advised.

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Lots of cars get vandalized. I would bet in half the video captured vandalism you don't see where the person driving the Tesla flip off, cut off, or do something that the vandal found offensive (and the "i saw them park im gonna get them") 5 minutes before the act caught on camera. I don't condone the actions and in most cases I don't believe normal adults just do random acts because of the make of an automobile

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I think your concerns are valid. I have seen a lot of videos of century mode on Tesla cars capturing vandalism. Given that the CT seems to be even more polarizing than the other Tesla models being extra cautious would be advised.

I won't be naïve and say I have no concerns, but I will also point out that given sentry mode and cameras, Teslas will capture vandalism occurring, whereas most all other vehicles don't, so the data is sort of biased on the surface... it's like saying houses with ring doorbells get robbed all the time, vs houses without ring doorbells.

I certainly think the CT will attract a ton of attention, most of it positive curiosity from passerbys

Rick'sCT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Great points. I am so excited to be on the list for a CT. I am sure it will receive a lot of attention, hopefully almost 100% positive.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I'm not so much worried about people vandalizing it as I am about them thinking that they are meme Lords and throwing things at the windows, which won't crack the way that they did on stage.

The only other concern that I have with the appearance of it is that I will pull up onto a job site and some of the old school truck guys won't take me seriously because I'm driving something that looks like it's out of blade runner.

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
I'm not so much worried about people vandalizing it as I am about them thinking that they are meme Lords and throwing things at the windows, which won't crack the way that they did on stage.

The only other concern that I have with the appearance of it is that I will pull up onto a job site and some of the old school truck guys won't take me seriously because I'm driving something that looks like it's out of blade runner.
Yes, I have a slight fear that people will want to be funny and recreate the launch day theatrics of hitting the door or throwing things at the windows. Who knows, maybe someone will even try to test the bulletproof claim.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag
I'm not worried but it doesn't mean that I don't or won't take precautions with any of my vehicles let alone the CT.

I dread what "influencers" will try to come up with though. :cautious::sick:

Hootie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 Civic; '23 Model Y LR; '23 Ford Lightning
Country flag
Yes, I have a slight fear that people will want to be funny and recreate the launch day theatrics of hitting the door or throwing things at the windows. Who knows, maybe someone will even try to test the bulletproof claim.
I have the same concerns. People will want to test the claims. I live in a somewhat rural area where there are lots of traditional truck drivers that I imagine are going to be ignorant and anti Cybertruck.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Take them out for a spin and it will fix all of that.

Not worried too much here, I get mine when 700,000 CTs are already on the road. Moron's have already gotten the crazy out of their system on early CTs (gotta make myself feel better somehow ;)

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
My previous car was vandalized on my own driveway at night and Geico paid the repairs (those selfish thugs resulted in $1100 worth of repairs)! We didn't had any cameras to capture the culprit but since the CT has Teslacam it should capture the faces of the suspects so the police can arrest them.

Best way to protect your CT is to either get a PPF (Paint-Protection Film) or PPS (Paint-Protection Spray) and do this like immediately after you take delivery of the vehicle.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
I live and work in very deep rural areas. The kind that if you walk into a corner store with hair longer than a crew cut they will tell you "cut your hair you look like a girl." That's real, it happens to me frequently. I have ~12" long hair I tie up and an accompanying 8" beard and I get the comments at least twice a month.

I have a Pacifica Hybrid I use as a work vehicle. For those of you unfamiliar with the beautiful stow and go seats, I can place a 4x8 sheet flat in the back of my van with zero problem. I can put 10-ft long pvc and boards up the middle and completely close the hatch. Is the best work vehicle I've ever owned.

By nature of it being a hybrid (I assume) I frequently (a few times a month) deal with a decent amount of "f*ck that liberal" hate and EV hate. Yes, even in my minivan which sports Pheasants Forever and MUCC stickers. During the heat of the election things got so bad and frequent that I installed front and rear cameras. I have footage of me being coal rolled three times, and audio (internal mic) of a guy calling me a "hippie faggot," and one of a very nice guy asking me how much I like the hybrid versus the gas and if I feel that I miss anything.

Know when it stopped? After the news stories about the F-150 hybrid powering homes in Texas happened. I also attribute some of it to the Mach-E.

This is completely personal opinion, but I feel like my rural brothers hate things until they are exposed to it. They believe that choice of vehicle represents a choice of lifestyle more than it does utility, and they respond to that. The more familiarity they gain, the less the division exists.

I cannot wait to introduce the bro-dozer driving crew to what real torque numbers look like.
Sponsored