Concerned about safety when driving your Cybertruck?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I have thought about writing the specs on the back tailgate in grease marker just to save myself all the questions. :)

Actually, maybe something like:

"Laugh it up, fuzzball!

0-60: 2.9 sec"
Sponsored

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Take them out for a spin and it will fix all of that.

Not worried too much here, I get mine when 700,000 CTs are already on the road. Moron's have already gotten the crazy out of their system on early CTs (gotta make myself feel better somehow ;)
Thats kind of my plan, a few folks have already asked me to stop in when I get it so they can check it out.

I'm sure it'll become normal in a few years time and people will back off, especially when trying to key it ends up just ruining their keys.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
The odds of it actually creating an unsafe situation are very, very low.

You have more chance of being hit by lightning.

-Crissa
So many things are less likely than being struck by lightning. I’m starting to think I should be taking precautions to protect myself from lightning.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
So many things are less likely than being struck by lightning. I’m starting to think I should be taking precautions to protect myself from lightning.
You will be just fine. Unless you are one of the decedents of Roy Sullivan.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
About fifty people are struck by lightning in the US every year - not counting vehicles, buildings, etc, this is just lighting plus people equals injuries.

Two people in Teslas were shot at last year.

-Crissa

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
The only thing I worry about is idiots taking a sledge hammer to my doors, and throwing rocks at my windows... acting like Elon... well, it shouldn't break or dent, right? Hence, the bullet proof windows I will consider. I'm not actually worried about gunfire, but I guess if the end of the world happens, I'll be ready. peace

Yakuza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Datsun
Country flag
You’ll be driving a bulletproof tank. Bring a gun. What are they gonna do?

OCS12

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta ST, Dodge Ram 1500
Country flag
My previous car was vandalized on my own driveway at night and Geico paid the repairs (those selfish thugs resulted in $1100 worth of repairs)! We didn't had any cameras to capture the culprit but since the CT has Teslacam it should capture the faces of the suspects so the police can arrest them.

Best way to protect your CT is to either get a PPF (Paint-Protection Film) or PPS (Paint-Protection Spray) and do this like immediately after you take delivery of the vehicle.
I’m not going to bother with any film. After dealing with a bunch of punk kids that were constantly vandalizing cars, mine included, I learned that one of the silly “life hacks” actually works amazingly. If someone spray paints your truck, it literally wipes right off for the first 24 hours or so with WD-40, and unlike a painted car, no need to rewax afterwards.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You will be just fine. Unless you are one of the decedents of Roy Sullivan.
I was thinking of William Yeldell Cosper but yes, there is also Roy Sullivan.

CyberDingo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual engine
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I do worry a bit about the Tesla hate / bad attitude. There have been a few Tesla cam records shown on the news where (it seems for no reason) a passer by has damaged a Tesla.
I was abuse often enough when I bought a Japanese car. I think as I live in a smallish country town and I don't go out much, maybe it won't happen. But I do see a lot of lightning from my house windows!

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
I have had cars vandalized and I never owned a Tesla. Basic, common everyday cars. Nothing flashy or extravagant. No trail breaking EVs.

I suspect there is a certain amount of selection bias going on. Tesla’s have video evidence of stupid people doing stupid stuff. That gets posted and reposted. Word spreads. Did they key the car because it was a Tesla or because someone parked too close to their car, took “their” parking spot, flipped them off on the freeway or they just hate red cars and that red Tesla was the nearest one in their fit of pique?

There are anti-EV a-holes, but marauders seeking Tesla’s just to vandalize? I have much higher and realistic concerns.

Last edited:

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I won't be naĂŻve and say I have no concerns, but I will also point out that given sentry mode and cameras, Teslas will capture vandalism occurring, whereas most all other vehicles don't, so the data is sort of biased on the surface... it's like saying houses with ring doorbells get robbed all the time, vs houses without ring doorbells.

I certainly think the CT will attract a ton of attention, most of it positive curiosity from passerbys
I wrote my reply saying the same thing, didn’t read the whole thread until after. Well said.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
I am much more concerned about all the people that will want to ride in it. I live next to a super charging station and I know it will draw attention at first from the Tesla owners.
Sponsored