Concerned about safety when driving your Cybertruck?

rjtumble

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Avalanche, Subaru Forrester, Ford Focus, 1932 Deuce Coupe
Occupation
Computer Support
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
I've wondered, since seeing the "bulletproof" demonstration, whether they've created the possibility for people to test the theory. If it creates some "ha! Let's see if it's really bulletproof" ideas. For example, the guy who shot at the tesla "recently" in Nashville (?). I'm not concerned enough to not get one, but I have a lot of faith in humanity (meaning, pretty sure someone's going to give it a "shot".
Sponsored

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
Every single car has bullet proof peculiarities, just a perspective.

But there will always be punks who want to "put it to the test". Furthermore, there will be those that say "shoot at me with the 9mm" solely with hopes of actually being hit and getting a GOOD $$$$$$$ settlement.

Driving down Main Street on a Fri/Sat night strutting ones stuff is almost gone (locked down and many in FEAR) so that rules out that game, but if ya want to creep thru "ganglands", all da Powa 2 ya!

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
After seeing many videos showing a lot of animosity toward Tesla vehicles, I am a bit concerned about my safety and the safety of my Cybertruck. Tesla sedans/SUVs are not as easily recognizable as the Cybertruck, yet they draw a degree of negative attention. Anyone else share my concerns? I know it will have sentry mode, but that will not protect the truck from idiots. Will you feel safe leaving it in a parking lot at night for an extended period of time? Could vandalism lead to higher insurance rates?
Not so worried about vandalism (good luck trying to key my CT, it'll ruin the key) but I AM afraid of constant pictures and swarming in parking lots.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I've wondered, since seeing the "bulletproof" demonstration, whether they've created the possibility for people to test the theory. If it creates some "ha! Let's see if it's really bulletproof" ideas. For example, the guy who shot at the tesla "recently" in Nashville (?). I'm not concerned enough to not get one, but I have a lot of faith in humanity (meaning, pretty sure someone's going to give it a "shot".
In the US, people shoot at other cars literally every day. It's not a joke. And the vast majority of them are not Teslas. Of course just because a 9 mm round won't penetrate the body of a Cybertruck doesn't mean it won't create a dimple where the bullet hits (it will). The chances of it happening to any one Cybertruck are too remote to even worry about. But you can bet the first year of deliveries won't go by without some fool putting a few higher powered rounds right through a Cybertruck or three. Hopefully, they are caught and taught a lesson.

It might be fun to park a decoy (real Cybertruck) in a rural area on the way to a popular rural shooting area just to bust the idiots. What's going to stop the common idiot is the knowledge that Tesla's are loaded, not with bullets, but with cameras. However, there is always a guy even dumber than that who still doesn't get it.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
I hope you're joking, the exterior of the bare Cybertruck is many times tougher and more damage resistant than the best "self-healing" paint protection film. Putting a plastic film on a Cybertruck would be like wearing a condom to take a leak. Dumb.
With the amount of uneducated human beings living and roaming around this world, who clearly do not think about the consequences of their actions, I would prefer to put some type of protection film on my asset. And its the first expensive vehicle we will own. Sure, it might be a dumb idea, but then, its better to protect it from idiots than leaving it unprotected. Is it even wrong to protect it from vandalism and keep the finish scratch free?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
With the amount of uneducated human beings living and roaming around this world, who clearly do not think about the consequences of their actions, I would prefer to put some type of protection film on my asset. And its the first expensive vehicle we will own. Sure, it might be a dumb idea, but then, its better to protect it from idiots than leaving it unprotected. Is it even wrong to protect it from vandalism and keep the finish scratch free?
Well, I love my weenie too! Of course, the fact that I love it is not a good reason to do something illogical. In otherwords, I still don't protect it with a condom when I pee!

Please think logically! How does loving something a bunch (because it's the first new vehicle you will own), mean that you should protect it in ways that don't make any sense? PPF costs thousands of dollars, a Scotchbrite pad costs under a dollar. The most amazing thing about the Cybertruck is it has no fragile paint to chip or scratch!

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Interesting range of perspectives.

While I personally am not too concerned, I also realize there are a LOT of uninformed idiots who will take any chance to express their ignorance and displeasure with EVs (especially Teslas). I have owned a Model S since 2015 and only been coal-rolled once. The only damage to my S (so far) has been a self-inflicted minor paint scratch.

As to someone (possibly a drunken fool) testing the bullet resistant properties of the CT exoskeleton, I see that as a possibility, but very slim chance of it happening to my CT. If such an incident were to occur, I would hope the bullet would bounce back and injure the shooter. :cool:

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
Interesting range of perspectives.

While I personally am not too concerned, I also realize there are a LOT of uninformed idiots who will take any chance to express their ignorance and displeasure with EVs (especially Teslas). I have owned a Model S since 2015 and only been coal-rolled once. The only damage to my S (so far) has been a self-inflicted minor paint scratch.

As to someone (possibly a drunken fool) testing the bullet resistant properties of the CT exoskeleton, I see that as a possibility, but very slim chance of it happening to my CT. If such an incident were to occur, I would hope the bullet would bounce back and injure the shooter. :cool:
This is America, the injured shooter would probably sue you.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
This is America, the injured shooter would probably sue you.
So long as you're not in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York or Portland, they'll get laughed out of court. The judge might have you play the sentry footage on loop just so everyone laughs at the shooter even harder.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Driving down Main Street on a Fri/Sat night strutting ones stuff is almost gone (locked down and many in FEAR) so that rules out that game, but if ya want to creep thru "ganglands", all da Powa 2 ya!
ha, they have revived it here on the west coast. weekly now. Seems to be an act of defiance in response to the shutdown. and sad how much gas they're burning for it.

TK0384

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Scion xB
Country flag
Not worried at all.
I'm in Dallas. We're already used to things with the cyberpunk aesthetic, with all the new buildings we're putting up here that are covered in LEDs.

And Dallas, as we all know, is in Texas, which means anyone with an inclination to test the bulletproof attribute of the exoskeleton will know that we're liable to shoot back.

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
Every single car has bullet proof peculiarities, just a perspective.

But there will always be punks who want to "put it to the test". Furthermore, there will be those that say "shoot at me with the 9mm" solely with hopes of actually being hit and getting a GOOD $$$$$$$ settlement.

"ganglands" "all da Powa 2 ya"
Okay, we get what you're trying to say. ?

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
I live and work in very deep rural areas. The kind that if you walk into a corner store with hair longer than a crew cut they will tell you "cut your hair you look like a girl." That's real, it happens to me frequently. I have ~12" long hair I tie up and an accompanying 8" beard and I get the comments at least twice a month.

I have a Pacifica Hybrid I use as a work vehicle. For those of you unfamiliar with the beautiful stow and go seats, I can place a 4x8 sheet flat in the back of my van with zero problem. I can put 10-ft long pvc and boards up the middle and completely close the hatch. Is the best work vehicle I've ever owned.

By nature of it being a hybrid (I assume) I frequently (a few times a month) deal with a decent amount of "f*ck that liberal" hate and EV hate. Yes, even in my minivan which sports Pheasants Forever and MUCC stickers. During the heat of the election things got so bad and frequent that I installed front and rear cameras. I have footage of me being coal rolled three times, and audio (internal mic) of a guy calling me a "hippie faggot," and one of a very nice guy asking me how much I like the hybrid versus the gas and if I feel that I miss anything.

Know when it stopped? After the news stories about the F-150 hybrid powering homes in Texas happened. I also attribute some of it to the Mach-E.

This is completely personal opinion, but I feel like my rural brothers hate things until they are exposed to it. They believe that choice of vehicle represents a choice of lifestyle more than it does utility, and they respond to that. The more familiarity they gain, the less the division exists.

I cannot wait to introduce the bro-dozer driving crew to what real torque numbers look like.
Merica, F**k Yeah...
Sponsored