Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even if it was hand-piloted, it would have been the 45th time it passed through trying to get the shots just right.

SpaceX has done this sort of thing with their drones and moving rockets around.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Even if it was hand-piloted, it would have been the 45th time it passed through trying to get the shots just right.

SpaceX has done this sort of thing with their drones and moving rockets around.

-Crissa
I wonder if or how many drones they fished out of that bath in the paint shop. Or got stamped into the side of a car door. I might pay extra for a door with a drone imprint.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I wonder if or how many drones they fished out of that bath in the paint shop. Or got stamped into the side of a car door. I might pay extra for a door with a drone imprint.
That reminds me of the Starship test vehicles at Boca Chica. I would pay extra for a Cybertruck built from a recycled Starship. Hopefully it would have some cool colors from the heat treatment!:D

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Theres no way that was programmed as it's actually quite difficult to have accurate positioning indoors. Normally for indoors they use a 3D space camera setup in the building that gives the drone real time position co-ordinates, and that is typicallyin a mostly empty room. I haven't yet seen a stand alone drone mounted system simply because the computing power is to big to fit on a drone. There is obviously no GPS reception indoors to help, and thats not accenough anyway.

This was likely just a small FPV drone, maybe even the DJI FPV one and a good pilot. There are lots of them. This one is free style and unrehearsed for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The drone at the Berlin opening that Elon was “dancing” with maybe?
Probably, usually pilots have several

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Why is everyone talking about this drone footage as though it were flown by hand? It make MUCH more sense that the drone was programmed to fly as the assembly line moved. It could then loop back to the beginning and do the same shot again with the next car or panel piece.

It makes no sense that someone was performing drone-death defying acts of pilotage around the factory and the employees were more interested in talking to each other than watching the miracle in front of them. Much more likely this was the 45th time the drone had buzzed them that hour so they were no longer interested.

Those shots in the stamping machine MUST have been programmed, it would be extremely easy to hold the drone on a pole and mark that position in the course and specify when it will get there in relation to when the operation starts.
You would be really shocked. Search YouTube for FPV Drones

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Theres no way that was programmed as it's actually quite difficult to have accurate positioning indoors. Normally for indoors they use a 3D space camera setup in the building that gives the drone real time position co-ordinates, and that is typicallyin a mostly empty room. I haven't yet seen a stand alone drone mounted system simply because the computing power is to big to fit on a drone. There is obviously no GPS reception indoors to help, and thats not accenough anyway.

This was likely just a small FPV drone, maybe even the DJI FPV one and a good pilot. There are lots of them. This one is free style and unrehearsed for obvious reasons.

Thank you sir

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's easy to get accurate positioning, you just need the sort of tech that's in VR headsets. Which just isn't something you can buy off the shelf yet. But I could but a bunch of lighthouses and a tracker from HTC and route things that way.

-Crissa

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This kind of talk must stop immediately. I am already itching to make a custom carbon fiber large drone on my CNC machine.... JUST BECAUSE.
Do it immediately and then message me about it. I love it

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That reminds me wasn't there talk about a quadcopter for the CT on the ui patents somewhere? I wonder what we will get? I want a quadplane, tailsitter or pusher 5 prop quad that runs from 2170 or 4680 cells.

For camera I would take a Insta 360 X2 where you can change the horizon and framing in post (also one way to simulate the FPV flying in the video above) then I use something like DJI Occusync or better, plus 4G/5G data link. Punch a hole through the mobile NAT with Zerotier or route through a VPS, then have forward looking terrain mapping for off-road use. Even better would be to run your own picocell on a onbard SDR then use passive radar as well. All that can then route back via a McFlatface on the CT. Instant flying mobile internet tower service. Add a tether for longer coverage times.

One can dream....or make exactly that as an CT accessory! Who wants one? ;)
I'll take any of that, but like to keep it custom!

Is that bandaid I see on your finger a little run in with a armed quad with 6" props running 22 something cans that shouldn't have taken off? :p

Don't worry you're not the only one with battle scars from very angry quad props. I built a prop/motor test stand that liked tearing props off shafts and I learnt the hard way that high velocity prop shards and fingers don't mix well without turning very red in the process.

Our evtol quadplane uses 4x TMotor 2208 2450kV (using up to 2kW) pushing 5" but lifting 2.5kg of V-tail Talon plane with Pi CV package for SAR use. Once in forward flight it would do 100kmh for an hour from a single 4S 10Ah pack.
Haha, No. I have been very afraid of doing that so I never hand launch and always use a pre-arm switch on the TX. Your test stand and also EVTOL plane sounds super super cool and extremely interesting. I wish I was working designing something like professionally this but I also love my job too much! So just a side hobby it remains... Nice to meet you sir!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
It's easy to get accurate positioning, you just need the sort of tech that's in VR headsets. Which just isn't something you can buy off the shelf yet. But I could but a bunch of lighthouses and a tracker from HTC and route things that way.

-Crissa
Not quite the same thing and its not easy in a dynamic close quarter environment at all. Theres a bunch of off the shelf products for this, but none of them would allow for the type of flying seen in the video. Its manual pilot controlled.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not quite the same thing and its not easy in a dynamic close quarter environment at all. Theres a bunch of off the shelf products for this, but none of them would allow for the type of flying seen in the video. Its manual pilot controlled.
It's exactly the same and only works if it's close enough.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But we end up at the same place. ?‍♀

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I suspect you could get computerized drone control in that environment with precise location.

But the amount of time and cost involved in getting it set up would probably be higher than just hiring a good drone operator.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The systems used for indoor positioning are normally so large they wouldn't fit on a FPV drone that can fly like the one in the video. They are typically mounted in fixed known positions in the room itself and run their own positioning algorithms on dedicated systems on the ground, where just the coordinates are then transferred in real time to the drone. You would have to set this up for each room you are in. Stuff moving in the room complicates things further. Large rooms reduce fidelity and the system is hard to hide in the shot.

A FPV pilot can do this without all that, all in a day or two, before the first room would be setup for positioning.

Check out the balls on these copters in this video that are used for indoor positioning:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My spouse is a VR software engineer. I have a pile of VR tracking systems. They are not large, and don't care about other objects moving in the room.

Large or reflective rooms complicate things, but inside-out tracking is getting very good and we're going to see it on drones soon.

Drones that can carry pro cameras can easily carry trackers.

-Crissa
Sponsored