Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...can you tether your car to your phones hotspot?
Depends on the hotspot.
No, it doesn't work the same, but this is how some people update their software, it's just wifi.

Hook it up to starlink and...
...You want a dish on top of your car?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I would think you can always tether the truck to your phone.
I don’t Have a Tesla. I wonder if with tethering, your data will run out due to Tesla’s data collection or somewhere in settings you can select what is allowed and what is not. I am still trying to get comfortable with the idea of the truck leaking data and energy (awake at night and when not moving) all the time. I am a control freak that gets freaked out by that kind of stuff easily. I know it is probably not worse than my phone but my phone freaks me out too ;)

Last edited:

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Yes you can use you phone's hotspot but as Crissa said, it's limited.

I can try to explain, though things may be different considering my Tesla is one of the OGs. Lol

Tesla's have 2 options for data the standard data you don't pay for and premium data. Standard data only gives you the flat non satellite malts and navigation. Live traffic, streaming music, video and careoke all required premium. Video and music steaming can be used on wifi even with the standard package. As mentioned a wifi hotspot can be used to allow the music and video while driving, but I would be willing to bet that the cost of data to do this via your phone would quickly surpass the 9.99mo all you can eat data that you would pay Tesla for.

KendrickMB

First Name
Kendrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Trax, 2012 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I agree with this. I have Android Auto (not wireless unfortunately) in my Trax and I love being able to control YouTube Music and whatever other apps I want to use directly on the screen. Safer and more convenient than picking up my phone. I miss it everytime I drive my wife's Explorer, which doesn't have AA.

I believe that Tesla's navigation is adequate, but it's the media features that I will miss from AA. AA will also show my reminders. If I remember correctly, Tesla won't work with apps like Facebook Messenger, but AA will allow me to use it just like texting. I like that.

Ford allows AA to run in conjunction with SYNC. I would like this option. The screen is big enough that they could window AA while maintaining the Tesla infotainment system, or allow it to use the fill screen if the driver wants. Given the upgrades to the hardware in the S and X, I don't imagine that being a problem.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think the Tesla setup works for most things in my use case, but I'd still like apple car play in it, freedom of choice....wouldnt be hard for them to do.....

my truck has CarPlay and I rarely use it (GMC 2500) and my wife's x5 has CarPlay (she does use it a lot)!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I have just a couple of features that I would like to see that are in my Ram 1500 truck.

First, my center console fits a gun vault that is hidden and lockable from the third-party Lock'er Down. It fits as if it is OEM. I know the center seat in the Cybertruck may not allow for it to be in a console, so looking for another location as accessible and hidden. Mabe something could be built into the dash optionally. My Ram has a hidden door to a storage area in the dash just above the glove box, but it is not lockable. Something similar, but closer to the driver's side would be nice.

Android Auto wireless compatibility. I have navigation in my truck that I never use. I only use my Android Auto. Anything that does not access my contact list without downloading it to the truck or does not allow Google search and Google Maps (using voice navigation from my contacts or Google search) is a step backward. Plus using all of my other apps like messaging(verbal), Spotify music, general google search results. All apps are consistently using my Google assistant I use in my house as well.
Elon Musk just announced that the CT design is complete. That renders any suggestions related to hardware moot for the first manufacturing run. That said, Tesla is a leader in automotive software and is starting to launch Starlink, so if software or networking features make sense they may implement them as Tesla is constantly improving their software. I think it is well known that Tesla has plenty of room for improvement with respect to media integration and management.

Last edited:

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
One more thing to offer to those mentioning android auto, remember that tesla has a full web browser. You aren't listed to app version of sites because you can have a tab open with the full blown web page.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
One more thing to offer to those mentioning android auto, remember that tesla has a full web browser. You aren't listed to app version of sites because you can have a tab open with the full blown web page.
I have had some major issues using their browser when it is time to provide input. Also bookmarks and history don’t seem to get saved if I remember correctly. Download speeds are bad (we have premium too)

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
mine doesnt work either, but im on MCU1 so thats to be expected. i know plenty of others for whom this is seamless.
Sponsored